SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 315 of 442 1 2 … 313 314 315 316 317 … 441 442
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw a couple of movies last weekend:

"In the Mouth of Madness" -- I love John Carpenter films. I also enjoy Sam Neil, as he often plays great, nuanced, subtle psychopaths well. In this movie he goes nuts, literally. Essentially that is the gist of the plot. An insurance agent goes to some place on investigation and loses his mind. I do, alas, have some issues. The ending left me feeling unsatisfied, and I was never once worried about either of the protagonists. See, I knew Sam's character couldn't die, so when horrible things started happening the film turned into one of those halloween funhouses kids pay a ton of pocket money for, where inside you follow a roped path and actors wielding fake chainsaws try and scare you. Not scary. Very boring. Except this wasn't boring, but I have seen before, and Carpenter does a wonderful job weaving everything together. But the lack of ownership, the audience being on the edge of their seat, not knowing what will happen to Sam(because of how they structured the film, giving this away at the start), removes the suspense and instead we get a glimpse into growing insanity. This wants to the H.P. Lovecraft but falls short. Depending on my mood I could rate this anywhere from ** 1/2 stars(the true rating) to *** stars when I'm feeling nostalgic.


"Coherence" -- This is a special movie! Anyone who enjoys quantum mechanics and relativity will get a kick out of this one. True sci-fi, this is the real deal. Also very low budget and Nicholas Brendon of "Buffy" fame has a nice part. This is one worth watching again to try and stitch everything together. No, this is not people babbling about physics. This is a character drama sci-fi. Read nothing about the plot. Watch it. *** 1/2 out of **** stars.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
So what was your take on this doc NFB? Did the French perspective differ much on this event compared to a US produced doc?


Per the French, Americans were lazy and weak and not willing to get involved in European problems and Japan pacific expansion and more interested in partying drinking chasing girls.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy


Per the French, Americans were lazy and weak and not willing to get involved in European problems and Japan pacific expansion and more interested in partying drinking chasing girls.




I'm not surprised one bit by that.. How predictable.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/19/22 11:04 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I saw a couple of movies last weekend:

"Coherence" -- This is a special movie! Anyone who enjoys quantum mechanics and relativity will get a kick out of this one. True sci-fi, this is the real deal. Also very low budget and Nicholas Brendon of "Buffy" fame has a nice part. This is one worth watching again to try and stitch everything together. No, this is not people babbling about physics. This is a character drama sci-fi. Read nothing about the plot. Watch it. *** 1/2 out of **** stars.


I agree, saw it when it first came out. Great atmosphere and clever plot. Makes me want to watch it again to refresh my memory of it.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hellraiser 2022 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887261/

Horrible. The characters had no brain and did things that were stupid. Demons are chasing you.
There is a car you can use to get safety but going into the house of terror made more sense.

They makers were inspired by this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs5FWIUqu20


Halloween Ends 2022 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10665342/

This is marketed as final Halloween. I pray it is, there are no original ideas in it.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy


This is marketed as final Halloween. I pray it is, there are no original ideas in it.


It's going to make a lot of money so trust me, the studio will be making either a prequel or sequel but it just won't have Jamie Lee Curtis.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Season 1 finale of House of the Dragon.


An outstanding series all around. Now the 2 year wait begins until season 2 comes out......


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Past weekend, the watching of Horror movies I missed continue

Some were weird, not scary

Cat People https://www.amazon.com/Cat-People-Nastassja-Kinski/dp/B000I9VO5I



Hunger https://www.amazon.com/Hunger-Catherine-Deneuve/dp/B000LJAECY



Dressed To Kill https://www.amazon.com/Dressed-Kill-Michael-Caine/dp/B000IZ2YH4



^^^ Google Brian De Palma = watched this too

Body Double https://www.amazon.com/Body-Double-Craig-Wasson/dp/B001CNMDYA

Commercial on YouTube is dirty

Alligator https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Robert-Forster/dp/B09KKTPBCY/



Wolfen https://www.amazon.com/Wolfen-Albert-Finney/dp/B0071I787W



Finally watch this, from when we discussed Jenny Agutter in January

American Werewolf In London https://www.amazon.com/American-Werewolf-London-Paul-Kember/dp/B09SGVF2BK



Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
I remember seeing "The Hunger" on cable tv at a friends house when I was about 12 years old. That movie was definitely not age appropriate for me!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Wrongfully Accused. Another Leslie Nielsen movie, this one making fun of mostly of Patriot Games and The Fugitive, with a smattering of others thrown in. Dumb and silly and as usual, yet I still laughed.
It did also star Melinda McGraw. I don't know how I've never seen her in anything before, but what a babe!

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy



Yup, that's pretty much the only role I know her for considering I'm a hardcore X-Files fan. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/25/22 02:43 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw a couple of movies last weekend:

1) "Ritual" aka "Modus Anomali" -- W T F. Essentially that expression sums up this horror film by Joko Anwar, and set the theme for the weekend. I've never seen an Anwar film--an Indonesian director I am unfamiliar with. I will probably watch more of their films. I'm not sure what to say here, other than what I watched was something only an Asia-Pacific director could have come up with. They often have unique plots and this one reminded me of the uniqueness of "Battle Royale" of years ago, despite having nothing whatsoever to do with the film or plot. This, like "Royale," was something different. *** out of **** stars.

2) "Killer Joe" -- You'll never view at Matthew McConaughey again, the same way. In a performance that Christian Bale would have been at home with, this sleazy redneck noir film leaves us with an ending that is pure gold. One of the best endings I have ever seen in a film. This picture felt reminiscent of "Blood Simple" and "Hell or High Water," it was dirty, rotten, and leading up to the end had one of the most vulgar, nasty scenes printed to celluloid. I could have done without that part--heck, I didn't even know Matthew had it in him, but whoa. The only thing lacking here were stronger characters that you wanted to get to know better, such as those found in the best Tarantino or Cohen Brothers films. Had they been there, I would have rated this higher, easily. What was there, though, was good enough. *** 1/4 out of **** stars.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 10/25/22 06:08 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
I may have a reputation on SImHQ for being a "film buff" but you sir definitely are an avid connoisseur of obscure independent and foreign films! smile


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
All I need are a couple of sentences to decide if something is worth watching, and a quick skim of the review score patterns. I still love the "video store walk" style of perusing the shelves as I make my next pick. I have a long list of stuff to watch, but the allure of the random, unplanned find appeals to me. Yep, I find some losers now and then, but I find plenty of odd winners, too. Hollywood simply doesn't have good producers anymore that are willing to allow good writers to flaunt their stuff, or take chances with something that does not fit a mold.


Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 10/25/22 06:18 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I still love the "video store walk" style of perusing the shelves as I make my next pick.



I did this quite a few times in the 80's and 90's and just like you, sometimes I found a winner and sometimes I found a stinker. One movie that sticks out in my mind is a French-language movie that takes place during the Franco-Prussian War. From the VHS box it looked like this was going to be a war movie with some great battle scenes and action. Heh....WRONG! The movie had like 5 minutes of battle action and the rest of it was about this one French soldier who was trying to get back home and he encounters some woman and they develop a romance. Ugh.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
LOL never trust the pictures! I instinctively avoid movies that have multiple characters on the cover ever since I was suckered into watching "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" a couple of decades ago. Ugh, was more like "League of Extraordinary Blunders," for we walked out on that one only ten or fifteen minutes in. I have noticed so many crap movies since then love to have five or ten characters on the cover, and this holds true for Hollywood pictures, too.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,033
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
LOL never trust the pictures! I instinctively avoid movies that have multiple characters on the cover ever since I was suckered into watching "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" a couple of decades ago. Ugh, was more like "League of Extraordinary Blunders," for we walked out on that one only ten or fifteen minutes in. I have noticed so many crap movies since then love to have five or ten characters on the cover, and this holds true for Hollywood pictures, too.


And to think that film was the final one for Sean Connery before he retired from acting. What an inglorious end to an otherwise great acting career.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Viewing episode 1 of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4611933/re-the-movies-coming-soon-thread#Post4611933

She is in this. I don't remember seeing her in anything but Predator. She was 25. She is now 61.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Page 315 of 442 1 2 … 313 314 315 316 317 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,379 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1