Wouldn't the beer he delivered be hot and gross??? Also U.S. bases in Vietnam had beer
My guess is that he delivered beer to troops out in the field. As for keeping the beer cold, that’s a good question. Maybe he just transported the beer in ice coolers like the ones people take to the beach?
24 cans in a box. 96 cans.. He put them in the bag and boarded ship in NJ headed to Vietnam. 2 month journey. He said he was oiler to get on the ship.
So he made that long trip to Vietnam to hand out 96 cans of beer?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
When you are a tired, hungry and thirsty soldier out in the bush even warm beer is welcomed.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
My most recent viewing was King Kong (1976). Jessica Lange's first movie. It also starred Jeff Bridges, Charles Grodin and, Rene Auberjonois.
King Kong 1976: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074751/ In the penultimate scene where Kong is going to be revealed to the citizens of New York he is hidden under an object shaped like a gas pump of that era. Lol, The price per gallon on that gas pump was 64.9/10 cents.
Edit: Something I did not notice until rereading this post is that they messed up the Total Cost and Gallons pumped areas. The price on the left which shows that 10 gallons were pumped should have been $6.49 instead of 800? and the pump on the left that shows 20 gallons were pumped should read $12.98 instead of 000. They also left off numbers in the Total Cost and Gallons pumped areas too. Even then those mechanical pumps had at least 4 numbers in the Total Cost and Gallons pumped areas.
Oh I know it was him but I guess my sarcasm was too well hidden.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
House of the Dragon episode 7. Anyone here watching this besides me?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
1) "X" -- Not a bad horror movie, filmed in pseudo-1970s style along the vein of the chainsaw movies, about a group of young folks trying to film a porno in a rural couple's "air bnb" before there was such a thing. It didn't go well. Bad things happened. I didn't care for the porno part, but movie overall was pretty good. *** out of **** stars, as far as slashers go.
2) "Chaos Walking" -- I can see how reviewers might not like this sci-fi film. There were lots of questions asked or implied by the unique premise, in that all the thoughts of men are heard aloud by everyone, whereas the thoughts of women are not, on some strange, distant alien world. There were also aliens. Why they were there? Who knows. That was never answered, either. Did I care? Not in the least. Great sci fi doesn't give one all the answers. In fact, the best sci fi leaves a reader or viewer with more questions than answers. That's the point of science, after all--to ask questions and then follow the scientific method to try and solve them. The story was tight and the film moved along at a good pace. A sequel would be nice, but I must admit the hearing of thoughts was quite chaotic at first, but they ran with the premise and did so well. I am not deducting points for a few stereotypes such as the evil religious man obsessed so much with the gospel he is driven to kill(this comical trope is so false I don't even know where to start, given he was implied to be a Christian), because I enjoyed the rest of the film enough to look past this. *** out of **** stars.
3) "I Sell the Dead" -- Nice camera work, cool story concept, extreme dialogue overload. There was way too much telling here and not enough showing. I've seen the story within a story format many times before, the best of which has to be "The Princess Bride," where Peter Falk reads a book to his grandson Fred Savage, while answering questions. This had a nice spin on that concept but the director forgot that we're in this for a story that moves along in a cohesive manner. This one was simply vignettes over time, describing the life of a doomed man. I'm sad. With such quirky camera takes, the film deserved better. ** 1/2 out of **** stars.
4) "Bull" -- Rare is a film that leaves a lasting impression, one that hangs around for days after. A lingering, sinister ickiness enveloped me, and I wanted to shower and make the feeling go away. Revenge movies are a special bunch, many of whom follow a series of tropes established way back in the 1970s. There are some particularly nasty films in this category("I Spit on your Grave," "Thriller," and arguably the Bronson "Death Wish" films), and then there are the milder, more Hollywood affair that folks such as Liam Neesom tend to star in that the general public loves to lap up. This is _not_ one of those. This film... is raw, unfiltered, leaded and high octane at the same time. The real deal. Pure, cold, heartless revenge. The characters are nasty. The crime was terrible. The aftermath, well, must be seen. I was stuck to my couch the entire eighty eight minutes, unable to move. And unlike "Thriller: A Cruel Picture," I was able to finish this one. The writer/director has created and produced a true, timeless genre film that is one of the best and should be remembered for years to come. This is the best revenge film I have seen in a year, since I went on a spree watching Abel Ferrara films last Halloween season. Watch, but prepare yourself, as this will stick with you for a while. *** 3/4 out of **** stars.
I'd like more episodes to be produced before I start. At least two seasons. Maybe I'll give in, though.
Considering its current ratings and streaming numbers it's a guarantee that this series will run at least 5 seasons on HBO.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
2) "Chaos Walking" -- I can see how reviewers might not like this sci-fi film. There were lots of questions asked or implied by the unique premise, in that all the thoughts of men are heard aloud by everyone, whereas the thoughts of women are not, on some strange, distant alien world. There were also aliens. Why they were there? Who knows. That was never answered, either. Did I care? Not in the least. Great sci fi doesn't give one all the answers. In fact, the best sci fi leaves a reader or viewer with more questions than answers. That's the point of science, after all--to ask questions and then follow the scientific method to try and solve them. The story was tight and the film moved along at a good pace. A sequel would be nice, but I must admit the hearing of thoughts was quite chaotic at first, but they ran with the premise and did so well. I am not deducting points for a few stereotypes such as the evil religious man obsessed so much with the gospel he is driven to kill(this comical trope is so false I don't even know where to start, given he was implied to be a Christian), because I enjoyed the rest of the film enough to look past this. *** out of **** stars.
.
It has a 5.7 rating on IMDB and a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes so it seems most people weren't too thrilled with it. The premise of the film seems rather contrived and flippant to me but maybe one day I'll give it a shot just to see if my initial impressions were justified.
Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/05/2204:21 PM.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
I think there has to be a discussion of what a "Science Fiction" movie is.
Just because the story has a space- or timeelement in it does not make it "Science Fiction". Too many "Fantacy" movies get the "Sci-Fi" category.
IMDB categories this movie action/adventure/fantacy.
Just my five ......
I agree that it can often be difficult distinguishing science-fiction and fantasy. For many, many years the term "fantasy" to me meant things like dragons, wizards, magic spells, medieval aesthetics and weapons, etc. So stuff like "Legend", "Lord of the Rings" and "Dragonslayer" was fantasy but then stuff like Star Wars was science fiction. If you really look at it objectively though the Star Wars movies really fall under the fantasy category and not science-fiction for the simple fact that none of the technology in the Star Wars movies has any explanation or theoretical basis in REAL science.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
I think there has to be a discussion of what a "Science Fiction" movie is.
Just because the story has a space- or timeelement in it does not make it "Science Fiction". Too many "Fantacy" movies get the "Sci-Fi" category.
IMDB categories this movie action/adventure/fantacy.
Just my five ......
I agree that it can often be difficult distinguishing science-fiction and fantasy. For many, many years the term "fantasy" to me meant things like dragons, wizards, magic spells, medieval aesthetics and weapons, etc. So stuff like "Legend", "Lord of the Rings" and "Dragonslayer" was fantasy but then stuff like Star Wars was science fiction. If you really look at it objectively though the Star Wars movies really fall under the fantasy category and not science-fiction for the simple fact that none of the technology in the Star Wars movies has any explanation or theoretical basis in REAL science.
Exactly my point.
“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
The Force? Fantasy. Lightsabers? Still can't come up with a way to make these plausible. But they're really cool!
"Star Trek"
Is mostly sci-fi, with a ton of gobbledygook thrown in to sound technical. Still, original, Next Gen and Deep Space 9 "Trek" explored more than technology, but humanity and different paradigms which definitely fits in with the sci-fi framework.
"Marvel Movies"
Fantasy, pure and simple. I hear people call them sci-fi and I roll my eyes. Superheroes are fantasy, period.
"Chaos Walking" I'd fit into the sci-fi category because there really wasn't any magic going on, only thoughts that were on display for all to see--which, with the presence of aliens on a strange, distant world(that travel too took a few generations of people aboard a starship), was somewhat plausible. The audience can imagine there's a technical explanation for such phenomena that only begins once entering the planet's atmosphere. The thoughts are only thoughts, too. There are no super powers. I would love to see the story fleshed out more.
Lightsabers? Still can't come up with a way to make these plausible. But they're really cool!
.
It's my understanding that a lightsaber violates Newton's laws on light (particle and wave). There's no way to make light (ie laser) stop at a fixed point in space like you have with the "blade" of a lightsaber.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Lightsabers? Still can't come up with a way to make these plausible. But they're really cool!
.
It's my understanding that a lightsaber violates Newton's laws on light (particle and wave). There's no way to make light (ie laser) stop at a fixed point in space like you have with the "blade" of a lightsaber.
Lightsabers? Still can't come up with a way to make these plausible. But they're really cool!
.
It's my understanding that a lightsaber violates Newton's laws on light (particle and wave). There's no way to make light (ie laser) stop at a fixed point in space like you have with the "blade" of a lightsaber.
Another example of impossible technology would be Star Trek phasers / SG1 Zatnikatels on max settings that vaporize a body without creating an enormous super heated cloud of "body vapors".
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell