|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19 |
Those are some pretty poor reviews for Kung Fu.
I'm not familiar with CW,is that a network? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CW
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19 |
Swanson invented the frozen dinners and market it as TV dinner for 98 cents each.
Stouffer was a fine dining restaurant owner who sold frozen version of his menu items to his customers who wanted to experience the same meals at home. Stouffer recognized the future of microwave in early 1960 and he bought one for $25,000 to perfect frozen meals that were microwaveable. The microwave at the time weight 700 lbs.
Then a defense contractor came to Stouffer and offered him a partnership to invent a microwave that could be used in homes for $500. In 1969 the first home microwave and microwaveable frozen meals were introduced to America by Swanson and it's partner Litton Industries.
Stouffer is now the top seller of frozen meals selling over $500 million per year. The frozen food industry is $200 billion per year industry worldwide and frozen foods are consumed 23 millions times a day in America.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
this obstreperous brutal horrible movie:
Someone has been busy using an online thesaurus so they can seem intelligent.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
T I'm not familiar with CW,is that a network? It started off as the UPN network in the 1990's and then became "CW" sometime in the early 2000's. They almost exclusively air shows for the high school/college demographic.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18 |
Finished both seasons of Kingdom on Netflix. It's a good show in a unique setting. It's got a conspiracy, bad guys scheming, and one truly villainous character.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
Finished both seasons of Kingdom on Netflix. It's a good show in a unique setting. It's got a conspiracy, bad guys scheming, and one truly villainous character. Was it pretty easy to follow what was going on while reading subtitles?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18 |
Finished both seasons of Kingdom on Netflix. It's a good show in a unique setting. It's got a conspiracy, bad guys scheming, and one truly villainous character. Was it pretty easy to follow what was going on while reading subtitles? For me, it defaulted to english dubs. They're not the best, but I just rolled with it. I have several family members that watched it with subtitles and they had no problems following it with subtitles on. There were plans for a 3rd season. Apparently each season took over a year to make and it was a bit expensive. Add to that production problems with COVID and it may not happen. For the most part the second season wrapped up everything and it's only the last several minutes of the last episode that opened the door for another season.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
I saw two movies this weekend:
1) "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" -- Ever pick a movie and say to yourself, "Hot #%&*$#, this is gonna be a great movie!" Then you sit down to watch, dim the lights, turn the hi fi up, have perfectly buttered popcorn and a warm blanket. Everything is nice. Then an hour into the movie, you start to nod off and realize that you've been duped? This was such a film. What we have here is a movie that was unnecessarily opaque, that skips back and forth through time for no useful reason, and has no narrator to mend everything together in a cohesive, gripping form. The film made sense, I could follow things, but the method of presentation detracted from the whole. Sadly, I must rate this accordingly, and only award ** out of ****. Tell a story with characters that are interesting--don't do things for show, or try to be "smart" for smartness' sake.
2) "Lake Placid" -- I watched because I wanted to see Bridget Fonda in a movie, who is nice to watch. Yes, this was a cheesy movie, yes, it has Bill Pullman whom I'm not fond of, and yes... it has a crazy lady played by a pirate mouth Betty White who feeds pet crocodiles. I enjoyed this film. It was fun, had good cohesive flow, and characters you weren't ambiguous to. This was a much better, lower rent movie than "Tinker Tailor," so I award ** 1/2 out of ****. I want to give it three stars, but the cheese was thick, and I know I could watch it more than once, if not, many times, but let's be real--this isn't a work of art, it is a popcorn slasher fest where the croc is the slasher and the human hunters are the dumb college kids in cabins. I suppose it has earned those three stars for entertainment value alone. No, I didn't fall asleep, unlike snoozy spy film.
Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 04/12/21 06:40 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
I have not seen either the original series of TTSS starring Alec Guinness or the film adaptation starring Gary Oldman. I am however curious to watch both of them since I am a casual fan of the spy genre. "Lake Placid" is one of those movies that you just simply have to take it for what it is. It's a movie where you leave your brain at the door and you just kick back and laugh at the absurdity that occurs. It is pure popcorn entertainment. Speaking of Bill Pullman, that guy has freaking done every genre under the sun. He's starred in a David Lynch, Mel Brooks and Roland Emmerich film! Heck, just those three films alone make him amazingly versatile. 
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
TTSS needed a series. The movie wasn't enough. I know the original novel was written in a similar manner as the film was presented, but frankly, I'm a follower of Hemingway's style, although I do enjoy stream of consciousness such as Faulkner uses. He's far more comprehensible than say James Joyce and that novel of his "Ulysses." Perhaps TTSS was written in stream of consciousness? Of so, that'd make some sense--however, if so, then there should have been a narrator in the film speaking as such, similar to Paul Atreides in Lynch's adaptation of "Dune."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
TTSS needed a series. The movie wasn't enough. I know the original novel was written in a similar manner as the film was presented, but frankly, I'm a follower of Hemingway's style, although I do enjoy stream of consciousness such as Faulkner uses. He's far more comprehensible than say James Joyce and that novel of his "Ulysses." Perhaps TTSS was written in stream of consciousness? Of so, that'd make some sense--however, if so, then there should have been a narrator in the film speaking as such, similar to Paul Atreides in Lynch's adaptation of "Dune."
What I can tell you with certainty is that everyone I know who has seen both the 70's mini-series and the film is that all of them preferred the series by a wide margin.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659 |
I had a choice of News, Hallmark or Fifty Shades of Gray. I watched the Interview part of the film It made me agreed with what someone else wrote about the film The film rolls She starts the Interview asks if hes Gay. He says Yes " Roll the Credits End of Film. " I have been watching the News or walking the dog since .
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,945
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,945 |
I saw two movies this weekend:
1) "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" -- Ever pick a movie and say to yourself, "Hot #%&*$#, this is gonna be a great movie!" Then you sit down to watch, dim the lights, turn the hi fi up, have perfectly buttered popcorn and a warm blanket. Everything is nice. Then an hour into the movie, you start to nod off and realize that you've been duped? This was such a film. What we have here is a movie that was unnecessarily opaque, that skips back and forth through time for no useful reason, and has no narrator to mend everything together in a cohesive, gripping form. The film made sense, I could follow things, but the method of presentation detracted from the whole. Sadly, I must rate this accordingly, and only award ** out of ****. Tell a story with characters that are interesting--don't do things for show, or try to be "smart" for smartness' sake.
My thoughts exactly when I saw it in the theater. It should have been a great movie . . . ended up being, if not a complete waste of time, than at least a movie that I am unlikely to see again.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
I saw two movies this weekend:
1) "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" -- Ever pick a movie and say to yourself, "Hot #%&*$#, this is gonna be a great movie!" Then you sit down to watch, dim the lights, turn the hi fi up, have perfectly buttered popcorn and a warm blanket. Everything is nice. Then an hour into the movie, you start to nod off and realize that you've been duped? This was such a film. What we have here is a movie that was unnecessarily opaque, that skips back and forth through time for no useful reason, and has no narrator to mend everything together in a cohesive, gripping form. The film made sense, I could follow things, but the method of presentation detracted from the whole. Sadly, I must rate this accordingly, and only award ** out of ****. Tell a story with characters that are interesting--don't do things for show, or try to be "smart" for smartness' sake.
My thoughts exactly when I saw it in the theater. It should have been a great movie . . . ended up being, if not a complete waste of time, than at least a movie that I am unlikely to see again. My impression is that TTSS is one of those film adaptations that was completely unnecessary from a creative perspective.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,091 Likes: 168
Administrator Lifer
|
|
Administrator Lifer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,091 Likes: 168 |
Watched Ford V Ferrari last night. I really liked it. Well done and I thought the acting was very good. The clutching and shifting shots done to try to show acceleration were off, but otherwise people wouldn’t get that something was happening. Story moved along and had an interesting plot.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
"Ford V Ferrari" is on my "must watch" list but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The last auto racing-themed film I saw which I thought was really outstanding is "Rush".
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525 Likes: 2
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525 Likes: 2 |
Last edited by LB4LB; 04/14/21 05:15 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|