SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4560843 03/21/21 04:59 PM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,523
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,523
I have recently been pondering this...

In addition to WOFF, I know some of you may enjoy playing other older sims (gasp!), such as Silent Hunter 3 and Steel Fury. Both of these games, when modded, require the so-called 4Gb patch, which allows 32 bit games to access more system memory, in order to stop random game crashes and enable complex graphics improvements. My question is, has anyone attempted to "patch" cfs3.exe with the 4Gb patch? If so, what were their results? Might this improve the performance of WOFF or just cock everything up?

More specifically, might this improve late year game performance, when air activity becomes particularly heavy, or reduce the dreaded stutter problem? I'm curious to hear what other people may think.


“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,485
Likes: 3
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,485
Likes: 3
I've had it in place on the original CFS3 for years, but I don't see that it ever made any difference with how many resources the game tries to use.

For Those Who Can't Locate It


Service To The Line,
On The Line,
On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,523
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,523
Thank you for your input, Major.

Well, at least it doesn't seem to hurt. You mentioned resources, I wonder about in-game performance, particularly when loading new textures or terrains. Any difference there?


“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 349
Likes: 17
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 349
Likes: 17
I believe WOFF and WOTR already use the 4GB patch. I have been using it in regular CFS3 for quite a while and noticed a major improvement in all but eliminating game crashes (at least the ones I didn't cause by modding).

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,008
Likes: 13
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
Member
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
Member
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,008
Likes: 13
@BB, as far as I know WOFF/WOTR are already patched in-house to go beyond the 32-bit program barrier for ram/vid ram access and other things. They both show up as 64-bit programs in my program list on the Mac - so I think tweaking with the "4GB Patch" will not have any effect. Considering that, for example, WOFF is able to access about 5.2 or 5.3 GB vid ram total, as I had replied to Wodin in one of the threads, regarding the abstract numbers in the WOFF HUD display - it has already bypassed the memory barrier of 32bit programs (barrier of 3.5 to 3.9 or so GB access).

(As an off-topic aside, SF2 is also a 64-bit program, but FE2 is 32 bit, so if any FE2ers are lurking here in the WOFF forums - apply the "4GB Patch" to your FE2.exe, as explained in the long "Read Me" file that I include always with the latest ver. of my FM upgrade pack for FE2. Don't forget to make a backup of the stock FE2.exe before applying the patch, however.)

Happy flying,
Von S smile2


~ For my various FM/DM/AI/Tuner Mods for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, recommended is to check over this post. For my First Eagles 2 clips, go here. ~
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
WOFF and WOTR already use that don't try to mess with it on our stuff please.
The WOFF or WOTR manager does not need it either.


Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,523
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,523
Okay, I guess that settles it, then. Thanks for answering, Pol!


“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,383 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1