SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4557166 02/22/21 07:42 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
With the certainly immanent release of Between Heaven & Hell 2 (possibly twoweeks?) perhaps it is time to take a look back at the between the Between Heavens and Hells and reminisce about a little something we like to call: Wings Over Flanders Fields. Since Between Heaven and Hell became Wings Over Flanders Fields, I have:
-Seen Immelmann exactly once
-Seen the Red Baron maybe once but possibly twice
-Shot down Voss a couple of times
-Been killed by AA once (*edit: specifically, a direct shell burst. I've been wounded by ground fire to the point of death many times)
-Seen a recon aircraft shoot off its own wing once
-Shot down an enemy plane with rockets once (actually, after reviewing the tapes, twice...)
-Successfully extinguished my aircraft when it was on fire in mid-air once
-Died once for landing on a lake shore. I think? Or maybe had a heart attack...
-Learned that I would never take on a Roland C II in real life
-Legitimately, completely forgot that Zeppelins were in the game
-Enjoyed it enough to host eleven group challenges
-Of which I actually survived...only once? Is that right?
-Won a Wammy
-Learned to stop worrying and love fences. Well, not quite...
-Got TrackIR and wondered how I ever got by before on padlock and snap views
-Lasted long enough to get to my favorite plane, the SE5a, once
-Lasted long enough to get to my second favorite plane, the N17, numerous times
-Cursed the N16 every time I flew it
-Got collided with 107,417 times
-Realized that I don't miss the Red Baron series at all as it has been completely supplanted by its spiritual successor, the brilliant WOFF

Please feel free to add your own thoughts and observations!

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 03/13/21 07:32 PM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
So ... I take it you don’t like WoFF that much.


"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
.

Aaaah, memories. One of things I remember most about OFF/WOFF and its many incarnations is the myriad ways to die. Allow me to quote myself from a thread dating back about five years ago now:


Over the years in OFF and WOFF I have, on more than one occasion:

stalled out, crashed and died
spun in, crashed and died
fallen upside down, crashed and died
fallen tail first, crashed and died
had the wings come off, crashed and died
seized the engine, crashed and died
ran out of fuel, crashed and died
collided with a plane, (both enemy and friendly), crashed and died
collided with a balloon, (both enemy and friendly), crashed and died
flown into a storm cloud, became disoriented, fell OOC, crashed and died
been shot, crashed and died
been shot, died and crashed
been blown up, crashed and died
been burned up, crashed and died
been hit by Archie, crashed and died
flown into a church steeple, crashed and died
bounced the landing and died
flipped over whilst landing and died
hit a mountain and died
hit a fence and died
hit a building and died
hit a tree and died
hit a train and died
hit a bridge and died
hit a parked plane and died
hit the water and died
hit the water, burst into flames, and died, (I swear to the WOFF gods, it’s true)
died when my plane blew up whilst sitting on the field preparing to take off because the enemy dropped bombs on it
died when my plane blew up whilst sitting on the field preparing to take off because I accidentally dropped my own bombs
got captured, was shot trying to escape, and died
got wounded, made it to the hospital, and died days later
had a tryst with a mademoiselle in Paris, contracted VD, and died years later, (OK, that’s not modeled in WOFF - yet)



Good times - good, good times.


[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.
_________________________________________________________________________

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 93
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 93
I haven't kept the best track of my accomplishments in WOFF the past few years, but I must agree with you, Rick, on fearing the Roland and cursing the N16. I have also:

-Seen my entire flight, 5 DH2's, be reduced to just me alone when all four of the AI pilots collided with one another upon turning to meet a pair of Eindeckers
-Seen a shot down Halberstadt crash into another plane circling my wingman below
-Found a new pair of favourites, the DH2 and Pup, to console me in the knowledge that I've never lived long enough to fly that glorious SE5

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
LOL Guys.
Just in case Mortus, you know you can manually create a pilot to join a squadron and set the date when they have SE5's ? wink
Or when creating a pilot with the auto deployment you can choose SE5a whatever as your aircraft and it finds a squadron with them.

(makes note, not enough ways to die).


Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

died when my plane blew up whilst sitting on the field preparing to take off because the enemy dropped bombs on it



Thats actually awesome.

Originally Posted by Mortuus

-Seen my entire flight, 5 DH2's, be reduced to just me alone when all four of the AI pilots collided with one another upon turning to meet a pair of Eindeckers



Fortunately, this has gotten much better in recent builds. And yes, the Pup is outstanding!


The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
.

Rick, awesome now perhaps, not so much when it happened.

Pol, "(makes note, not enough ways to die)" - LOL gets tossed about a lot but that one truly did make me laugh out loud.

.

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 93
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by Polovski

Just in case Mortus, you know you can manually create a pilot to join a squadron and set the date when they have SE5's ? wink
Or when creating a pilot with the auto deployment you can choose SE5a whatever as your aircraft and it finds a squadron with them.


Well, sure, but that's not earning it, lol

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,598
Likes: 2
K
kaa Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,598
Likes: 2
one remarkable and frustrating "adventure " I had was my death on my first training flight, with Captain "Something" at command in a bad landing crash ..

Last edited by kaa; 02/23/21 02:54 PM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
Not Captain Triggers...that's a little too much realism, although a huge % did die in training.

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 8
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 8
I died recently at Ardennes, where the ground is high, and the patrolling height was within ground machinegun reach. It was over very fast.

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Those guys are not sleeping for sure. Sometimes you have to choose between dying and bending the orders slightly wink


Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
Likes: 5
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
Likes: 5
When you fly with the early Lafayette Escadrille you need to ignore the orders or they will crash you into mountains.


More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Just shoot me...
Member
Just shoot me...
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
.

Rick, awesome now perhaps, not so much when it happened.

Pol, "(makes note, not enough ways to die)" - LOL gets tossed about a lot but that one truly did make me laugh out loud.

.


Me as well! as did the post that drew Pol's response!


Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
Since I made my Return yesterday to woff PE, I died five Times.

Fence...my old friend!✅
Stalled....so easy!✅
Shot down...of course!✅
Hit a tree....wait, there was no tree!✅
Shred my prop while taking Off...flipped the E3, of course!✅
E3 banked right over 45degrees......Spin of death ✅

So this made six times, obviously....


"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
You are as constant as the northern star...


The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
You are as constant as the northern star...

At least in this Case....


"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Excellent with more practice you should be able to get that death rate higher.

BTW I know, against the 'more deaths needed grain' and all that, but you can sometimes save yourself with the Fok EIII if you get into a slide use the rudder to bring the nose down towards the ground then pull up. Better still use that more often before you get there.


Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by Polovski
Excellent with more practice you should be able to get that death rate higher.

BTW I know, against the 'more deaths needed grain' and all that, but you can sometimes save yourself with the Fok EIII if you get into a slide use the rudder to bring the nose down towards the ground then pull up. Better still use that more often before you get there.


Shouldn't you be working on something?... rofl









(...but seriously, another vid Hellshade!)


The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Originally Posted by Polovski
Excellent with more practice you should be able to get that death rate higher.

BTW I know, against the 'more deaths needed grain' and all that, but you can sometimes save yourself with the Fok EIII if you get into a slide use the rudder to bring the nose down towards the ground then pull up. Better still use that more often before you get there.


Shouldn't you be working on something?... rofl


(...but seriously, another vid Hellshade!)



Yeah I agree Rick, cmon Pol,back too it biggrin
pilot


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,555 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1