SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
KK, thanks for the reply.

Scout, are you running windows 7 or 10?


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
7
Member
Member
7 Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
KK, thanks for the reply.

Scout, are you running windows 7 or 10?


Hi Robert: It's a fresh install of Windows 10.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Scout, I don't have much experience with W10 but I will do some research to see if I can narrow down the problem.
I know it works fine on W7.

Regards


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Hello Robert, I did look back over your post, but it doesn't distinguish between W10 and W7 (unless I missed it)...if you're not sure, would it be worth mentioning in your instructions that it's tested in W7, but not 10? Just a thought.

Like I said, I haven't done it so I can't really comment on how it works.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 10/04/20 09:44 PM.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
From what I have been able to decipher, the process I outlined fow W7 is the same for W10 but you must ensure you are logged on to your PC with a userid that has administrator priviledges. Maybe this last point is your problem


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
I guess my point was, if you hadn't specifically tested it and thus don't know for sure, maybe it would be a good idea to add that to the instructions smile

Again, just a thought.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Hi Kk

Oh I have tested and use it on W7 successfully. At the time I posted my insteuctions I had not given any thought to W10.
To your point. I will update my post to reflect this.

Regards


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Right, yes I understood that you had already used/tested it in W7, sorry if that wasnt clear. I was referring to having tested it in W10.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
7
Member
Member
7 Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
I would wait to see if other users with Win10 have the same issue as me. If it works in Win7 you would think it would work in Win10 ... I might just be an outlier or be screwing something up.

Cheers!

p.s. Robert: Can you confirm that when in Task Manager at the TrackIR affinity menu you see only the selected processors checked. This is what I expect to see, but all my processors (0 thru 11) have checkmarks.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
I'm running windows 10 and it works for me, but my i5-6600K doesn't to my knowledge hyperthread.

The eightforums page I linked in the original post had a long discussion about the process as well as a number of posts from folks trying to do the same thing.
LINK

Cheers,

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
epower, could you elaborate upon 'it works', please? For example, are you saying you are using the command line method, and when you use Task Manager to check, TrackIR shows both priority and affinity have changed accordingly? As an aside, can you change it at will? Meaning, if you change command line for either/both affinity and priority, does what is shown in Task Manager 'follow' each change?

As a test, I'm trying it on my machine (Win 8.1 - no laughing, it's for a reason biggrin )...and (for TrackIR) neither priority nor affinity change, regardless of settings in the command line. And I know the command line is entered correctly, because (as a test) I went to another app's shortcut on my desktop, using the exact same command line and it works - the priority and affinity both change per the command line. So, it does seem confirmed Robert's command line instructions will work, but not *always* on all machines - and it looks like it's not necessarily about which OS you're running, either (and not a problem with the command line or instructions).

I've been doing a little research over the past couple days when I had a minute (not much TBH) and I read about quite a few cases where it appears others had problems getting this to work as well. I even read somewhere that the individual program (in this case, TrackIR) can have/has control over it, and (?) possibly even forces it at runtime, in spite of what you specify from the command line. Several instances of people using the exact method, but couldn't get it to work. So I wonder if it comes down to the application - in this case, the TrackIR software - maybe even which version(?).

For reference, I'm using 5.4.2.27545 (version number reported in Task Manager...in Control Panel/Programs/AddRemove, it says 5.4.2.0000, and on the NaturalPoint website, it just says "5.4.2" both of which are obviously misleading). Be interesting to know what others are using.

I'm not saying I know any of this for sure; up until this morning I've never used any of this. My 'theory' is strictly speculation based on this discussion, my own testing, and what I've read elsewhere on the subject, and TBH I kind of consider it a long shot. But it might explain why it works for some and not for others.

EDIT: Incidentally, I wrote NaturalPoint and filled out a ticket with their HelpDesk, just to see what they say about the matter.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 10/06/20 01:32 PM.
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
KK,

Like you, I'm using the same TrackIR5 software version. 5.4.2.27545.

Originally Posted by kksnowbear
epower, could you elaborate upon 'it works', please? For example, are you saying you are using the command line method, and when you use Task Manager to check, TrackIR shows both priority and affinity have changed accordingly? As an aside, can you change it at will? Meaning, if you change command line for either/both affinity and priority, does what is shown in Task Manager 'follow' each change?


Yes to both.

After confirming, per your question, that I could change affinity and priority by altering the command line in the target field, I deleted my shortcut and then couldn't reproduce a functioning command line for priority. Some gnashing of teeth and highly intemperate language later (salted the wife's zoom call but good, let me tell you) I found the answer.

The solution lies with Administrator privileges and the way Windows handles them with shortcuts, at least on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit system.
Creating a shortcut of a program set to Run as Administrator puts the nice checkered shield on the shortcut icon but that's misleading.
Both the Shortcut AND the TrackIR5 application must have the 'Run as Administrator' box checked in their Properties.

Here's what worked for me:

In the TrackIR5 properties make sure the 'Run as Administrator' box is ticked.
Create a shortcut for TrackIR5.exe
In the TrackIR shortcut properties, under Advanced, tick the 'Run as Administrator' box
Replace the Target field of the shortcut with the appropriate command line. My example:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "TrackIR5" /high /affinity C "C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe"

Start TrackIR5 from the shortcut and check TM for Affinity.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
epower/KK;

I have noted your suggestions for windows 10 and updated my original thread post..
I would appreciate you reviewing it to see if it all now makes sense: TrackIR5 procedures to set affinity and priority


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Artless Aide-de-camp
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 752
Likes: 3
Robert,

I might put up a more detailed set of step by step instructions, just to cover all bases.

Also, I believe it would be helpful to link or discuss how Hexadecimal numbers get generated and how Binary number relates to ones CPU cores. I found your instructions excellent by and large but still needed to go hunting additional info for what I wanted to do with my configuration (Run on cores 2 & 3). My post earlier in the thread HERE might be useful info to include, especially the way the binary number tracks to computer cores. This particular graphic really helped me understand
Attachments
Binary to hex.jpg

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
7
Member
Member
7 Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
Epower's procedure works for me here. Hurray and thanks!

The only tricky part was finding where the heck the 'run as administrator' setting was in the TrackIR properties ... it's hiding under compatibility settings when you right click the TrackIR icon.

Last edited by 77_Scout; 10/07/20 01:43 AM.
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 9
Pleased to report that epower's finding has corrected the issue on my setup as well (well done). Don't know why I didn't think of that biggrin It does actually make a lot more sense than the theory I had about versions, etc. To echo 77_Scout's comment concerning the 'Run as Administrator' setting, I would agree it could/should be more clear...I found it OK, but perhaps not so obvious for all smile

Note this is only to say I've tested how to set priority and affinity with shortcut/command line settings. I still don't use these settings, and still do not find them recommendable on the whole. My research into the matter has thus far corroborated this position. That research is ongoing, and I'm happy to discuss it with anyone open-minded enough to listen.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 10/07/20 11:57 AM.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Junior Member
Junior Member
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Gentlemen, I am trying to tweak TrackIr using your guides&tweaks, but I don’t understand this part:

From HarryH guide: “My i5 processor has 6 cores. After much tweaking and testing I have found that allocating the first 3 cores to the CFS3.exe and the remaining 3 cores to the TrackIR.exe gives me the best results”

Question 1: Is it possible to allocate 3 cores to the game when the same guide states “we know the game engine runs on the first core - CPU 0”
Question 2: How many cores should I allocate to TrackIR? (I have AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 cores) - all others?

Thanks

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 1
Hi There,

I doubt that any core allocation tweaks are needed with the latest generations of CPU. That said, you should be able to allocate as many cores as you like to both the CFS3 and TrackIR executables.

What might still be worth experimenting with is the priority value. I still prioritize TrackIR over CFS3.

Last edited by HarryH; 06/19/21 03:11 AM.

System: AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 4.2 GHz, MSI INSPIRE GeForce RTX 5070Ti, 16GB GDDR7 PCI Express 5.0 Graphics Card, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64G RAM, Dell triple 27",TrackIR5, HyperX Cloud 7.1 wireless headset, HF-8 haptic seat, Thrustmaster HOTAS.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,511 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1