SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
If this supports gamepad cockpit look, there might be a workaround, but I don't know a lick of french and Google subtitle translate is only so good:



I have to see if I can get that to work competently well in No Man's Sky, first.



Edit:

This might be how.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=593645539

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 10/01/20 04:14 PM.
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
FYI Squadrons is out now.

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
E
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
E Offline
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
Then someone sneaked the date, isn't due until tomorrow smile

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
I'll be home in about an hour so I can confirm this very soon!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,410
"Call me Az"
Member
"Call me Az"
Member
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,410
Some are playing it on Early Access on Twitch, but it isn't supposed to go live until 9pm Pacific.

I already have it pre-loaded on my PS4.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Watching folks play in VR on twitch makes me really upset there isn't Track IR support.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Ditto!

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
Tritto!

I'm wondering if there is a way to hack it by making trackIR act as a mouse, and using mouselook (if the game has that)

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 61
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 61
From what I've seen it looks really really washed out and very arcade looking...the "no trackIR" issue is a problem with alot of players on its forums and lots of controller issues as well. No sale here.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,410
"Call me Az"
Member
"Call me Az"
Member
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,410
The game is fun. I enjoyed my first hour, doing the first 2 missions.

It is no less arcadey than the old X-Wing/TIE FIghter.

Don't let that put you off an enjoyable experience for a reduced price ($40).

Some others that frequent the sci-fi forum may have their thoughts as well. I know they blew up the discord about it last night biggrin

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,155
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,155
Likes: 190
I've not watched this but he always has a pretty good take on things:


https://youtu.be/aR2v_3qM39U


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
I've put about 5 hours into the game so far and here are my initial assessments:


The good

1. The game looks absolutely gorgeous. The graphics are first rate.

2. As far as the physics and systems modelling go, this is on par with what we had in the XWing and Tie Fighter games from the 90's. There really was no dumbing-down here.

3. The main story in the campaign is pretty interesting and could have made a decent Star Wars movie.


The bad

1. The voice acting and dialogue is a bit too tongue in cheek for my tastes but I guess that's Star Wars for you.

2. There really was no valid reason for TrackIR to not have been supported. Maybe this will be added in a future update but I doubt it.

3. I would have preferred two separate campaigns for the Empire and the Rebellion instead of having one campaign where you keep alternating between the two sides.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,410
"Call me Az"
Member
"Call me Az"
Member
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,410
I agree with all your points, except perhaps The Bad #2. There was probably a cost decision involved as well.

As to The Bad #3, the SP campaign seems expressly designed to get you playing MP.

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
E
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
E Offline
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
I hope they bring out campaign expansions, I'd pay well for a good and long campaign.

But gameplay is much like the old X-Wing games I think. Enjoying it smile

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,945
N
Hotshot
Hotshot
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,945
Originally Posted by Azshal
I agree with all your points, except perhaps The Bad #2. There was probably a cost decision involved as well.



Ehh, I have trouble buying that . . . I mean, I am sure there was some cost, of course, in getting TrackIR enabled, but many space and flight games with presumably much smaller budgets do it; it seems strange that EA did not bother (other than them either not wanting to give TrackIR users an advantage in MP, maybe?).

Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog
I hope they bring out campaign expansions, I'd pay well for a good and long campaign.

But gameplay is much like the old X-Wing games I think. Enjoying it smile



Definitely; like with virtually every other space/flight sim I've owned, I have minimal desire for multiplayer.

Last edited by Nimits; 10/05/20 04:40 AM.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Unfortunately the flight mechanics of X-Wing games makes them very poor choices for competitive multiplayer because there is little room to abuse them in a way to give you an advantage, unlike say Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen with more newtonian flight mechanics.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Quote
it seems strange that EA did not bother (other than them either not wanting to give TrackIR users an advantage in MP, maybe?).


In that case why allow VR? does that give them an advantage as well?

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
A couple more observations since I have now played through most of the single player campaign which is 10 missions in total.


1. The focus of the game is very clearly multiplayer. You can easily tell that from looking at the list of achievements and the in-game features and menus. If you are looking for a purely single player space sim experience go with Elite Dangerous since that will have a lot more replayability.


2. It took me a long time to find a joystick command mapping that I felt comfortable with. I blame this on my 1,400+ hours that I've put into Elite Dangerous so my brain pretty much became hardwired to how things work in that space sim. I had to unlearn much of what I had learned when I started playing SW Squadrons.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 616
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 616
Glad to hear some people are enjoying it. I can't even get it to run. Just says "Please unistall WinDbg". I've tried looking this up and can't even find it on my PC. (I realise it's the windows debugger but no joy in locating it!)

Last edited by Ratcatcher; 10/05/20 02:29 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Ratcatcher
Glad to hear some people are enjoying it. I can't even get it to run. Just says "Please unistall WinDbg". I've tried looking this up and can't even find it on my PC. (I realise it's the windows debugger but no joy in locating it!)


Did you try running the "validation" feature when you right click on the game in Steam? I think it's called something like "validate install". It will run and look for any missing or corrupt files.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,555 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1