SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 200 of 442 1 2 … 198 199 200 201 202 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Pooch
Watched two episodes of Mindhunter. Thought it was good, but decided to see what True Detective was all about. Well, Mindhunter is going to have to wait. Harrelson and Mconaughhey are incredible. The story, the script and the acting are about as good as it gets, in my opinion.



I have not seen "True Detective" but it seems to be a universal feeling by the fans that the follow up seasons were pale shadows compared to the first season.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
The Fugitive web series in 14 9 minutes episodes. Did Keifer deliberately play the head agent of Los Angeles Counter Terrorist Bureau dumb ass to make fun of Bauer of 24 because that's what he was in the first 11 episodes. Made me scream at him and at the writers: "no one can be that dumb. The writing is dumb!" These cops are the dumbest fkers around! Then the show had the website news reporter if you can even call it a news site, more like TMZ, and call her a reporter who Tweeted anything as soon as she hears it without verifying its authenticity and accuracy: this person is the bomber. That person is the bomber! Everyone who read her Tweets immediately believed her including the cops and the Feds. This show was so dumb and the writing so poor I am glad I didn't have to pay Quibi to see it and I am also glad it wasn't a movie theater movie.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
"I have not seen "True Detective" but it seems to be a universal feeling by the fans that the follow up seasons were pale shadows compared to the first season."

Yes, so universal in fact, that I may forego the other seasons for a while and head back over to Mindhunter. I finished the first season of True Detective last night, and it did not disappoint for a moment.

Last edited by Pooch; 08/18/20 04:54 PM.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,825
Likes: 12
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Online: Content
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,825
Likes: 12


Invasion of the Body Snatchers. (1978 version)


Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum and Leonard Nimoy.


Intel i7-14700K, 32 GB DDR 5, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, AMD Radeon RX 9070 XT 16 GB
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
The 1978 version is the absolute best adaptation in my opinion. It had a solid cast and a great script.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Watching https://www.amazon.com/Pitch-Black-Vin-Diesel/dp/B0019IIPXQ #%&*$#! That's an exciting crash scene! Felt real I think I will need a barf bag!


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Watching https://www.amazon.com/Pitch-Black-Vin-Diesel/dp/B0019IIPXQ #%&*$#! That's an exciting crash scene! Felt real I think I will need a barf bag!



I saw this in the theater when it was originally released in 2000. This was the breakout role for VIn Diesel since he was totally unknown at the time.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Woman In Black (1989). Great British horror, the original not the 2012 remake. Still holds up today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098672/


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by RossUK
Woman In Black (1989). Great British horror, the original not the 2012 remake. Still holds up today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098672/








Thanks for posting this. I had no clue that the film with Daniel Radcliffe was a remake!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
No worries PM. It was released at Xmas of the year on BBC and urban legend has it that it was so scary it was not shown again and fell into obscurity until a recent Blu-ray release. Hard to get hold of still.

If you've seen it, it had a very well known moment that you will not forget!

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
One and a half seasons of "Ray Donovan" left. I have to start figuring out what show I will watch next. I prefer a show with 70+ episodes already aired and finished, but might settle for something shorter that's on my long list. Donovan has been a mixed bag so far. Most of the characters are pieces of crap scum of the Earth, including the mains, with little redemption due to their animalistic urges. Regardless, the show is not very PC which is a plus.

Season 5 was very depressing and took a step back in writing quality. Season 6, so far, is shaping up to being one of the best, if not the best for the series. Still, it has been mildly entertaining for the most part, but not in the running for top shows of all times. I'm kinda growing tired of Showtime shows, as they follow the "seasonal" show fallacy, where there must be a clear begining, middle and end for every season, period, like clockwork, and even the order the shows follow are in a precise pattern in terms of the context of what happens or is shown. I long for something closer to Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or Mister Robot in unpredictability, where major plot events can occur at seemingly random intervals and not saved for the last episode.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 08/19/20 04:17 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I long for something closer to Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or Mister Robot in unpredictability, where major plot events can occur at seemingly random intervals and not saved for the last episode.



I've added "Mr. Robot" to my watch list as I've heard nothing but great things about it and the premise intrigues me. Game of Thrones was a great show until the final 3 episodes and then the wheels came off. I know "Breaking Bad" has also received amazing accolades but the premise just doesn't interest me.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,825
Likes: 12
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Online: Content
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,825
Likes: 12
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
The 1978 version is the absolute best adaptation in my opinion. It had a solid cast and a great script.



I totaly agree. I saw the 50s version of Body Snatchers and it was good, but the later version is much more creepy. I saw it at the theaters when it came out as a kid, and it sticks with you. When I watched it again, for the first time since, a couple of days ago, It was even better than I remembered.
I saw a bunch of movies in the 70s that probably went somewhat over my head at the time and now I am re-watching them.


Intel i7-14700K, 32 GB DDR 5, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, AMD Radeon RX 9070 XT 16 GB
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 839
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
[quote=Mr_Blastman]
I've added "Mr. Robot" to my watch list as I've heard nothing but great things about it and the premise intrigues me. Game of Thrones was a great show until the final 3 episodes and then the wheels came off. I know "Breaking Bad" has also received amazing accolades but the premise just doesn't interest me.


I envy you being able to binge all of Mr. Robot at once. There's so much going on and it has a tight story arc across the whole series. I'm watching Season 4 now and struggling to keep up because it's been years since I watched Seasons 1, 2 and 3!

P.S. Avoid all spoilers as much as possible.

Last edited by BlueHeron; 08/19/20 08:40 PM.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Haha, it took me two and a half months to watch Mr. Robot. I have a one show per night limit. smile

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
'nother good WW2 film



[Linked Image]
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Watching this https://www.netflix.com/title/81019087 High Score a doc about video game industry



a 18 year old kid in Frisco CA play some Asteroid game for 31 hours straight on one quarter. That's not possible!

She was the first person ever to win a national video game tournament in 1980 and the first woman to get a job designing video games and she was only 16 at the time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Heineman

Some other game Space Invaders was the first commercially successful home video game and arcade video game which gave birth to a $5 billion a year arcade game industry, most of that $ is in quarters.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

a 18 year old kid in Frisco CA play some Asteroid game for 31 hours straight on one quarter. That's not possible!

.



For me this is nothing to be proud of but an indicator of a serious case of OCD. We're talking extreme here.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
The video game store was open 24 hours? He didn't eat, sleep, or had the urge and need to go to the bathroom during that 31 hours?


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
The video game store was open 24 hours? He didn't eat, sleep, or had the urge and need to go to the bathroom during that 31 hours?



I'm sure he had those urges but was able to suppress them until he was done playing. As I said, an extreme case of OCD.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 200 of 442 1 2 … 198 199 200 201 202 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,574 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1