SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
WangoTango #4435777 08/25/18 03:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
One of my better College benefits...Prime for like $45 per year.


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

WangoTango #4435783 08/25/18 04:39 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
This thread has had a slight derail I would say. biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
PanzerMeyer #4435789 08/25/18 05:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
This thread has had a slight derail I would say. biggrin


Indeed, just a slight one. biggrin

Btw, approximately 2000 Amazon orders in the past 8 years (most of them Prime items) makes it a good deal for me.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 08/25/18 05:23 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
WangoTango #4436766 09/01/18 11:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
I’ve watched 4 or 5 episodes and like it overall. I just have to separate it from the books, and not care that it’s not a word-for-word transposition from print to TV. There are a few things I don’t like, though. 1) Jim Greer isn’t a retired admiral, 2) Cathy Mueller is a specialist in a different area, and 3) they still don’t get military grooming standards right. A 1st Lt drone operator at Nellis AFB wouldn’t report for his shift with 2 days of beard, not even in a branch of service that lets you put your hands in your pocket. But overall I like it.


Phil

"The abbot says we should be grateful to you for a number of things. He said it was thanks to you that we rediscovered the whole moral universe that we had been in danger of forgetting—courage, sacrifice, faith . . .” — From a forgotten Man-Kzin Wars book
WangoTango #4436784 09/02/18 02:54 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Speaking of that, I always loved James Earl Jone's Admiral Greer. Every time I see him in each movie I just feel a morale boost or something. I see his character in the movies and always hoped there was a guy really like that(seemingly a true patriot with a genuine moral fiber) working in the CIA. I have no clue though how that character actually is in the books though.


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

WangoTango #4436791 09/02/18 05:07 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
Yeah, Greer always did the right thing even if it caused trouble for him, unlike those career politicians Cutter & Ritter.


Phil

"The abbot says we should be grateful to you for a number of things. He said it was thanks to you that we rediscovered the whole moral universe that we had been in danger of forgetting—courage, sacrifice, faith . . .” — From a forgotten Man-Kzin Wars book
WangoTango #4436947 09/03/18 10:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
When I read the books I always picture JEJ as Greer. He was that good in his role.


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
WangoTango #4436952 09/03/18 12:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
After Darth Vader, the two roles I will always remember Jones for is Admiral Greer and Thulsa Doom.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
WangoTango #4436974 09/03/18 02:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
I think a lot of it was that JEJ always came across to me as a real likable guy, someone with the same manners & courtesy toward others that we were brought up with and not an entitled primo don (is that a term?) like some of the jerkoffs you hear about.

Clint Eastwood does NOT come off that way to me, but I’ve heard he’s a thoughtful guy on the set. One story was that in one of his movies they were shooting at the top of a tall building, and when the shooting was done he said “nobody goes down empty-handed.” There was grumbling from stars & starlets, but they all ended up carrying equipment down. Crews must love working with him!


Phil

"The abbot says we should be grateful to you for a number of things. He said it was thanks to you that we rediscovered the whole moral universe that we had been in danger of forgetting—courage, sacrifice, faith . . .” — From a forgotten Man-Kzin Wars book
WangoTango #4436985 09/03/18 03:07 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
All of the interviews I've read from former cast and crew of Eastwood films is that Eastwood is a pleasure to work with.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
WangoTango #4437025 09/03/18 07:05 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
I binge watched it this weekend. I liked it. I thought the guy from the office did a great job at Jack Ryan. It was all really well done and enjoyable. You do have to come at it as something separate from the books though.

WangoTango #4437048 09/03/18 10:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
I like what I have seen so far, I have a few episodes to go.

Of course the "lunatic fringe" thinks otherwise. yep

VanityFair Attacks 'Jack Ryan' for being Masculine and Pro-American

How nice and quaint. A man hating author who lives in America and hates where she lives.


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

WangoTango #4437049 09/03/18 10:42 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,567
E
Senior Member
Senior Member
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,567
Liked it. Plot is nothing we haven't seen before, but the acting was decent, "Jack" was played pretty well in my opinion. Caveat: I watched while using new Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar for audio. Um, together with 65" screen, TASTY!

Eugene


Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
Eugene #4437241 09/05/18 01:53 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
J
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Originally Posted by Eugene
Liked it. Plot is nothing we haven't seen before, but the acting was decent, "Jack" was played pretty well in my opinion. Caveat: I watched while using new Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar for audio. Um, together with 65" screen, TASTY!

Eugene


Same, I really enjoyed what I watched, but its all the same with a new story. Actually looking forward to what comes next.
Watched it on out 65" 4k with 7.1 surround sound Pioneer. Wish it would have been in 4k.


Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Nixer #4437288 09/05/18 10:38 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66



I wouldn't even wipe my a$$ with an issue of Vanity Fair if I happened to be on a deserted island with no toilet paper.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
WangoTango #4437328 09/05/18 02:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,146
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,146
Likes: 190
This is on my watchlist but I've not seen any yet, but the below really makes me like the star of the show:


'Jack Ryan' star John Krasinski 'nerded out' on CIA operatives during show: 'I wanted to meet spies'


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
JimK #4437332 09/05/18 03:07 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 695
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 695
Originally Posted by JimK
Originally Posted by Eugene
Liked it. Plot is nothing we haven't seen before, but the acting was decent, "Jack" was played pretty well in my opinion. Caveat: I watched while using new Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar for audio. Um, together with 65" screen, TASTY!

Eugene


Same, I really enjoyed what I watched, but its all the same with a new story. Actually looking forward to what comes next.
Watched it on out 65" 4k with 7.1 surround sound Pioneer. Wish it would have been in 4k.


Really? 7 of the 8 episodes streamed in 4K HDR for me. The last episode kept pausing and buffering but was still watchable.

Those 7 episodes were the best thing I've seen streamed from a PQ and AQ perspective. Surprised me.

WangoTango #4437604 09/07/18 02:45 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Just finished it.

I enjoyed it.


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

WangoTango #4437608 09/07/18 03:29 AM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,146
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,146
Likes: 190
Just watched episode one, liked it a lot. My only issue was the opening scene with the young kids, is that really supposed to be an indiscriminate bombing of civilian houses by the IAF?


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
WangoTango #4484660 07/31/19 04:58 PM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
E
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
E Offline
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
Trailer for season 2:

Seems like "Clear and Present Danger" modified to some degrees.


Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,259 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1