SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4419459 05/07/18 01:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
B
Hotshot
Hotshot
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
So for all you avid shooters who conceal carry out there, what do you prefer for a holster, Appendix or Hip? Why?

v6,
boNes


"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,562
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,562
I almost always use OWB because of the nature of what I'm wearing and doing most days and because total concealment isn't that important for what I do. But when I do IWB, I use hip. That's because sitting down with the carry toward the front of my body like that is at best, very uncomfortable. To make it work, I basically have to slouch like a college kid.


"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
OWB only, on the hip.
Love leather holsters, usually buy the Galco with the FBI cant style.
Also, the Desantis Speed Scabbard is nice.

With the law changes, I don't worry about 'printing', or accidental exposure.
Tried IWB, too many hate factors for me: Bigger pants, against my skin, hard to get to


~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,946
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,946
Likes: 141
Being circumferentially enhanced these days... rolleyes I go with IWB on the strong side, generally with a pretty significant cant to keep the butt of the grip from printing. The hassles that Bill lists are all very real, but I just choose to put up with them.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 05/07/18 03:59 PM.

"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
B
Hotshot
Hotshot
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
Anyone consider using a belly band, or even an ankle holster?

v6,
boNes


"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 529
R
USAF Veteran
Member
USAF Veteran
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 529
I was using IWB kydex, until that started wearing away the finish on the slide of my M9A3 (will be getting the cerakote redone soon).

I still use IWB kydex with my PPS M2, but for my M9A3, and my M9, I only use a Beretta-made leather OWB holster with a thumb break.

4:30 position for IWB, hip with cant for OWB.

For open carry, I'll either use the Beretta leather holster or a Cordura one. I plan on buying a Bianchi M12 holster at some point.

[Linked Image]


Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,946
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,946
Likes: 141
Originally Posted by bones
Anyone consider using a belly band, or even an ankle holster?

v6,
boNes


I have used a decent ankle holster for carrying a Colt Cobra (.38 Special revolver) that is modified for double-action only (and has the hammer spur cut off). The holster design is leather with a felt lining and velcro closure. I'd recommend wearing two pairs of socks. One sock under the holster, and the second one on the outside of the holster to better conceal it, plus make it more secure and stable.

It's not a method of carry I would recommend for daily, routine use as it is going to be slower to access. Plus depending upon the circumstances, you may need to resort to subterfuge (acting ill or scared) in order to sneakily access it while under direct threat... which is an awful position to be in. Ankle carry will do in a pinch if you just can't dress to conceal at belt level (or some other method such as a shoulder holster)... but it's generally best relegated to carrying a backup gun, IMO.

I have never been a fan of belly band holsters. Especially now in the age of striker fired pistols. Whatever holster you use for a striker fired pistol needs to have good protection of the trigger mechanism, as that is also where the key (mechanical) safety mechanism is.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
For most of the year, it's too damned hot in Alabama to conceal carry.

Clip the holster to the belt, untuck the shirt, and don't worry about it. Or just put it in a cargo pocket.

If one has a small .380 Llama, that is. I wouldn't know all that much about it, as I think guns are icky.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 694
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 694
IWB kydex on strong side, OWB spare mag carrier (concealed by clothing) on other side. Never understood purpose of open carrying besides saying "please, shoot me first".. but that's a topic for another day...

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
T
Lifer
Lifer
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
OWB on the hip, have one for my Glock 19 and 43. Looking for an IWB for my 43 because during the summer it's still hard to conceal that.


XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
B
Hotshot
Hotshot
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
I've heard that Kydex scratches the finish of your gun. Any merit to that?


v6,
boNes


"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 529
R
USAF Veteran
Member
USAF Veteran
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 529
That’s why I had to drop off my M9A3 slide at the gunsmith yesterday. Turns out my front sight was broken also and I didn’t notice. Grrrr...


Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,562
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,562
Originally Posted by bones
I've heard that Kydex scratches the finish of your gun. Any merit to that?


v6,
boNes


Let’s try this again. Apparently I deleted my first try!

I have a 12 -15 year old Glock 26 That has been in an OWB kydex/leather hybrid for the whole time almost. It looks like a 12 year old gun that’s had 15000 rounds through it but it’s not marred I don’t think. I probably wouldn’t care if it were but it doesn’t look like it is jacked up. I can PM a pic if you want. It’s a Comp-tac Minotaur Gladiator holster.....

Edit: I just searched for it, and it doesn’t look like they make that anymore. Don’t know why but it’s nice if you can find one.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 05/09/18 02:37 PM.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,088
Likes: 168
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,088
Likes: 168
Guns are supposed to show wear. Those that don’t aren’t getting proper use.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 529
R
USAF Veteran
Member
USAF Veteran
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 529
Shipping mine off to Beretta tomorrow to get the front sight fixed. Hopefully they’ll refinish the slide but I doubt it... they’ll probably say normal wear and tear.


Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,052 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1