Robert, I've just watched your last video. You have the ground detail at a higher setting than mine, and I have to say that Filescamp Farm looks absolutely wonderful. What a masterful job.
You flatter me Sir, but I fear that with all the details in that facilities group it may be too intense for some systems so I may revisit it some time to take some out if necessary.
(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4
Robert, Filescamp Farm does indeed look beautiful. Very pretty flying weather, too!
Raine, congratulations on the promotion!
Carrick, I haven't forgotten about you. Your stories are like the hors'doeurves for the main course. Tasty, but not overly filling!
Thanks Bob
(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4
The day started like any other. Woken at 6 for pre flight toast and coffe before a hasty briefing and a stroll across the frozen field to the waiting crates warming gently in the winter sun.
I had slept well the night before. My nightmares had stopped since I got back to the front. I feel comfortable here. This is where I belong.
I was to lead B Flight on a patrol of our lines from Neuiport down south. As we xlimbed at the first waypoint two seaters on a bombing mission flew overhead, their black crosses bringing hate on an assembly point below. New Mission!
We chased the two seaters North, out over the channel. That is when my wingman, a young far too eager man by the name of Simon Caldwell, noticed the V strutters that were escorting and peeled off to face them.
Simon was my biggest project. He had 4 kills and was desperate for a fifth. It was damn near all the lad could talk about. He had a habit of ignoring orders and being the first in lone to attack and enemy.
In this case, the Huns took the bait and we engaged in a great furball. We picked oir partners and wrnt at it. My month and a half away from combat showed. I found it a bit difficult to lone up a good shot, but I did manage to keep the Bosch off my tail.
My prey grew tired and made a dash for his lines. I slowly closed the distance. A quick check of my tail showed only Caldwell anywhere in the vacinty, covering me a little closer than comfortable.
As I drew within range I suddenly heard Caldwell open up on the Hun from what sounded like right behind me. Not wanting to be in the way I began a gentle bank right, just as the hun broke hard right. Suddenly there was a great smash and a sickening crunch, as I was thrown around the cockpit. I heard my engine make a high pitched wine and then felt a blast of searing heat as it exploded in front of me, firing a stream of burning oil at me. I felt the dive begin. I frantically looked around. My left wing was severely damaged. I saw Caldwell in a predicament.
The fire I had feared so long had come for me. The panic was overwhelming, the pain unbearable. The rose up to meet me. The peaceful sleep I had craved had come for me.
--And when he gets to heaven, to St Peter he did tell, one more soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell.-- Frank Bernard Camp
Rest In Virtual Piece Mr Kincaid 26 Jan 1917 - 24 Jan 1918 6 Victories
Nice read Canucks, over my morning coffee. It reads like a Rod Serling episode!
(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4
Diary of Capt. Geoffrey Corderoy, RFC Part 30: 27-28 September 1917
27 Sep 1917 – Ste-Marie-Cappel
The talk in our hut last night was all about the German flier, Voss. Apparently while I was hob-nobbing with the GOC, Major Baring regaled Caldwell and Chidlaw-Roberts with the account of Voss’s fall. Baring visited 56 at Estrée Blanche yesterday morning and got the whole story directly from McCudden. Voss was flying a triplane and was harrying an SE – only later did we realise that this was our own Hamersley, who had become separated from Caldwell in a late afternoon patrol on the 24th inst. Hamersley had reported being chased by one of the new Hun machines, but that it had been driven off by some other SEs.
As it turns out, the other SEs were eleven machines from 56, and Voss single-handedly took them all, holing all eleven before being shot down by a young Etonian whose name I don’t recall [1]. Now if we can only put paid to the Baron, we shall we a great deal safer!
...
In the air at the dot of five this morning, bound for the far northern sector to attack the Hun balloon lines east of Diksmuide. We go straight in and cause the balloon to smoke. Its observers jump by parachute, one landing safely and the other poor fellow falling quickly with the silk fluttering uselessly like a streamer. As for the balloon, it smokes but does not burn and the Huns quickly haul it down. One can see that they do not rely on their winch, instead using a secondary cable and pulley arrangement, with the end of the cable tied to a lorry which drives off at high speed, bringing the balloon down in seconds.
Second patrol is up at 11:15 this morning. I lead Jenkins, Hamersley, Duncan, and Rutherford back to the balloon lines. I fire until my Lewis jams, and Jenkins finishes the balloon off while I clear the stoppage. We drop some bombs we have brought along on the balloon’s ground crew and climb back up to 9000 feet before heading south along the lines.
We have not gone far when I spot movement below. A lone Albatros is chasing a Camel across the lines. I dive quickly, forgetting even to signal to the others. At my first burst the Hun tries to zoom up but I catch him and fire a second, longer burst into him from behind and below. He levels out, obviously hurt. I fire again from directly behind, and the Albatros rolls onto his back and dives straight down into the mud of no-man’s-land. Shells from our guns are falling nearby and my machine is buffeted by their passing. This is not how I want it all to end, so I climb eastward, preferring the Hun Archie that greets me to the terrifying prospect of meeting a 60-pounder in mid-air.
"I fire again from directly behind, and the Albatros rolls onto his back and dives straight down into the mud of no-man’s-land."
Jenkins is able to confirm my Hun, which is now officially number 19! I wanted to bag twenty before my leave comes up. It would be ripping for my father, whom Mummy says has become apt to boast of my recent successes.
28 Sep 1917
The night Huns have been busy in our rear areas and there are reports of several high-altitude incursions, so we are on standby from five-thirty. There is not long to wait before the klaxon sounds at quarter before six. Lieut. Guy shouts the details to me as I sit in the cockpit waiting for the Hisso to warm up. This one is different. Huns have been spotted heading towards Hesdin. We are to patrol an area from a place called St-André-au-Bois down to Abbeville. There is apparently an aerodrome at St-André, but the place is not marked on my map, so the RO makes a pencil mark.
The day grows brighter as we climb to the southwest, and by the time we are at 8000 feet the sky is painfully bright and absolutely clear. If there are Huns about we shall certainly spot them. The outline of Hesdin is now visible off to my left, blurred by the bluish haze from a thousand chimneys. Jenkins spots the Huns first – a pair of two-seaters up around 12000. They are circling as if to re-form. I lead us after them as quickly as I dare. The engine seems to be running hot this morning.
I lead Jenkins and Horn after the machine on the right, while Caldwell (who is on a day off, but who came along for the fun of it) leads Rutherford and Pope after the other. The Huns are heading east now as quickly as they can, but our machines are faster. We overtake them just west of Béthune. Mine takes dramatic evasive action as soon as we begin to fire. The poor observer cannot return fire as he is too occupied trying not to depart his machine.
Caldwell’s Hun is already going down, leaving a smear of smoke across the morning sky. He dives on mine and, in one burst, causes a wing to detach. Caldwell is a notoriously bad shot, but this morning he has put on a fine show and has two kills to boast of.
...
I lead “B” Flight on a southern OP at noon. We climb to 12000 feet, and the air is frigid. We pass Monchy on our left and continue south-southeast. This time I see the enemy first – two observation machines a mile off to the east. The chase is on. One of the machines is trailing an antenna, and I can see the observer frantically spooling it in. This time I choose not to attack from behind and below. Instead I veer away to the left, out of range, and overtake the EA. When I am well in front I turn towards them. The nearer machine, a DFW type, is being attacked from behind by an SE. I approach from ninety degrees. Both Huns will pass directly in front of me, right to left. I begin to fire and see the farther flash through my stream of tracer, then the nearer.
The nearer Hun instantly noses down and begins to spin. There is no flame and only a wisp of smoke. I am sure this is a ruse, so I throttle back and follow him down, taking care to check above for a trap. There are no other Huns about. I watch the purple and green two-seater scribe lazy circles in the air, ever lower, and await the inevitable moment when he will pull out and dash for home. But he does not. The EA hits the ground between the lines and simply vanishes in an eruption of mud. There is no fire, no smoke. The machine and the two souls aboard it have simply ceased to be. It is my twentieth victory.
"I watch the purple and green two-seater scribe lazy circles in the air, ever lower..."
Notes:
[1] This was Arthur Rhys-Davids who was himself to fall a month later.
13 Jul 1917 @ 05h33 CAS for troop movement, escort 3 FE2b from Ste. Marie Cappel.
Godfrey groggily arose at 4 am as his batman announced there was to be an escort run at 05h30. Sitting on the side of his bed he spent several seconds trying to focus and regain his mental capacity. The loss of Mongoose had put him in a funk the night before resulting in a rather large consumption of liquor in the mess. He splashed warm water on his face, neck and chest several times, and then quickly toweled off and began the dress procedure. At 04h15 he was approaching the mess tent for breakfast when he became aware of a loud mix up going on inside the tent. As he opened the door to enter, all became silent and he squinted his eyes against the bright lights as he entered. Standing right in front of him no more than 10 paces was Mongoose with a huge grin on his face and backed by the rest of “A” and “B” flights. Godfrey just stood there with his mouth open for what seemed an eternity, before he finally spoke. “Is that you Mongoose?” was about the only thing he could think of to say. “In the flesh Albert, but just barely!” came the reply. Minutes later as they all sat around the breakfast table having their tea and toast, Mongoose regaled them with his harrowing near brush with death.
During the melee with the Hun the day before, Mongoose had some how crossed the path of the Hun while the rest of the boys were jostling for position behind the hun, and in those few seconds the Hun had put several well placed rounds into Mongoose engine and fuel tank before being forced to breatk off in an evasive manouver. As soon as he became aware of his faltering engine Mongoose headed west, just managing to cross the lines into friendly territory. He was intent on finding a good place to put down as fuel was low and the engine was making some terrible whining grinding noises. Suddenly his engine erupted in flames and his worst nightmare became real. There was no time for planning. He was a couple of hundred feet from the ground and he jerked the craft into a steep dive, pulling out just above the earth and trying vaily to put his craft down between the shell holes just behind his lines. He quickly released his harness, ready to jump out as soon as it was safely possible to do so. He could already feel the intense heat down by his feet. The first touchdown was a huge bounce and then the craft nosed into a shell hole and everything went blank. When he awoke he found himself 30 feet in front of his burning craft, covered from head to toe in mud but otherwise unhurt. A somewhat miraculous miracle had occurred. The early reports of his death were the result of normal front line communications.
Godfrey, waggled his head back and forth, head down munching on his toast and said “Just like a mongoose, in and out before the devil has a chance to reap his harvest!” “devil you say!, well I’d like to think the Lord has other plans for me Albert! Hopefully he has forgiven me for all my sins!”
The tent broke out in laughter as the adjutant stepped into the tent and announced that “Your attendance is requested in the briefing room if you please” And another round of laughter broke out as the men rose to attend.
The morning’s mission was a CAS for troop movements. We were to escort 3 FE2b’s arriving from Ste. Marie Cappel, to the lines near Athies, back to the rail yard south of Etrun where the FE2b’s would set down, and then return to base at Filescamp.
The mission was quiet other than for some Hun archie and the flight returned to base safely. The elation Godfrey and the others felt at the return of Mongoose had time to settle somewhat so that by the evening things were back to normal. Instead of a big drunk, there was pleasant song, humour and a few rounds in the mess before and early bed.
(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4
Jeffery Vickers 2nd Lt., Rfc 41 Sqn, B Flight Commander Lealvillers, Flanders. France 6 Victory's.
Jan 26, 1918.
Morning Patrol : No contact.
Late Afternoon: Patrol Vimy. 41 Sgn put up 5 a/c and off we went as the Sun was sinking in the sky. Over the P.B.I. in the lines , we spotted and attacked 8 Scouts with Green Tails. Everyone circled then the zooming and twisting started. I got a good bust into a V strutter with Red on the body then He spun away ( Hits ? ) Next up the 2 on my tail. What a mess weaving bobbing and Reversals. One broke away and split for home ? After pulling ahead I did a reversal as he weaved to the right and I was on his tail in the gathering darkness. I pulled up close and fired. The Lewis was empty. My Vickers gun got off 9 rds then the Breech exploded. ( double load of powder ? bullet seated too deep ? ) The e/a was smoking then dove away to the port side. I re-loaded the Lewis and looked for the Hun but he was gone in the darkness and by then I was somewhere over Oppy so RTB.
Dark Canuck, hell of a way to go. It's happened to two of my past favorite DiD pilots. Robert, it really is good to see you back. Carrick, hope you enjoyed your coffee with the read. Keep the log entries and pics coming!
14 Jul 1917 @ 05h58 Patrol to Harbourding and Phalempin
Godfrey awoke to the constant ping of rain drops on his nissen roof. It was 03h40 and he surely needed more rest, but that was not to be. His batman Clive knocked on his door and announced his presence. Godfrey responded “I am already up Clive, that damned rain kept me awake most of the night!” Clive responded “Yes Sir! It is now 3h40 Sir!” I am on my way Godfrey responded.
Having completed his usual morning duties, Godfrey stepped out fully dressed for the mornings mission, headed to the mess for some quick breakfast and then the briefing room. As he entered the room he was aware of the machines being run up on the field. The C.O. was already starting his briefing and identified that the morning mission was a run up the lines east of Givenchy and then west over Lens, where “B” flight was to take a NE direction towards Harbourdin and Phalempin, and note any build up at those airfields. It was to be strictly an OP unless the Huns decided they wanted it otherwise.
The briefing complete, the men began leaving for the field. Godfrey hustled up to Mongoose and suggested it would be nice if he brought his mount back in one piece today, and gave him a slap on the back as he sported a slight snicker. “I’ll see what I can do” replied Mongoose, returning the snicker and holding back on a throaty chuckle.
It was “B” flights show this morning and they all formed up over Savy reaching an altitude of 4600 ft at 06h12. Godfrey glanced back as he started his run towards Givenchy. He noted Berkeley on wing, and Bill, Jack, Mongoose, Horn and Pappy all in place in the flight as they headed north through the rain.
Cloud cover was low and the sky a dreary grey as they passed over Lens and the lines. They had turned NE on course for Harbourdin and Godfrey could soon make out the field in the distance. It was 06h20 by his wrist watch and as he wiped the rain from his goggles he noted a nice fat sausage hanging in the air directly in his path. “TOO, Godfrey murmured to himself. Not to be missed!” He waved his arm as he waggled his wings and pointed down towards the location of the Hun sausage. He began his descent in the driving rain and was soon within firing range. He loosed several bursts on the balloon and noted it start to smoke as he passed closely over it. Glancing back he watched as it burst into flames, and then quickly climbed out to rejoin his flight just in time to pass over Harbourdin field. They circled there several times as the Hun archie sent up an abundance of greetings. Godfrey quickly took the flight on towards Phalempin, not wanting to overstay his welcome.
At 06h38 they passed over Phalempin and promptly received the same welcome there.
He noted that there was little activity at either field. No aircraft on the fields of either aerodrome and none in the air. It seemed like the only ones foolish enough to be flying in this weather were his squadron.
Godfrey turned the flight west to the lines and upon passing Lens once more, turned the flight south towards Filescamp. They all landed there safely at 07h06 and reported in on their mission findings. It didn’t take long for the men to shed their wet flying suits and hustle to the mess for some warm tea, sausage and eggs.
(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4
Raine and Robert, nice to catch up on the ongoing novels! Nice vids also. Carrick, did your breech explode in game? Never seen that.
Geoffrey Goddard 1RFC Flanders
Jan. 25 I am temporary assigned to A flight as we do not have enough planes for 2. We are equipped with the newer SE5a! More speed and twice the firepower. DOP around Douai. Thankfully we had no contact.
Jan 26 Patrolled around our base with a five plane flight. Approaching La Lovie at 4000’ we see some EA attacking some observation aircraft trying to land. We dove in and I got behind a DV with a black and white striped fuselage. With 2 bursts it exploded in mid air. It was all over in minutes. We all made it back unscathed.
Jan 27 My DV was confirmed. Today we are to patrol enemy front lines east of Armentiers. Dove on 5 Phalz over NML. I got one and sent it into a spin. Didn’t see it crash as it was obscure cloud but it seemed to me he was not going to pull out. Found myself alone in low visibility so returned to base and filed my claim.
Jan 28 I am to lead one other machine to bust a balloon near Ypres. We approached the balloon at 3000’. Archie and ground fire was fierce but I focused on the balloon and as I went by it I felt it explode. Looking over my wingman gives me a thumbs up and back to base for breakfast we go.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end. BOC Member since....I can't remember!
I feel DiD renaissance! Excellent stories everyone. Just had some time to catch up. Love it all! I have to let Aldi go up in the air soon. Too busy with clerical work lately.
"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys, The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain, From out of my arse take the camshaft, And assemble the engine again."
Renaissance indeed! I also just caught up with everyone's exploits and very enjoyable it was. Wonderful stuff as always folks, thank you for sharing. And it looks like there should be a few gongs coming as well which I will post after Banjoman sends up his latest chart.