SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4383585 10/06/17 07:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
D
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
Only a WOFF issue by extension.

I am trying to disable head shake, but can't seem to permanently deselect Read Only from either the file or the whole OBD folder. No matter how often I deselect RO, it keeps on selecting itself back on.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks all!

Deacon211 #4383586 10/06/17 07:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 192
Likes: 5
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 192
Likes: 5
I believe it's a Windows "feature."

I remedied the issue by installing it on a non-system drive (Outside of C:\)

If that isn't possible, I'd suggest installing it outside of Program Files (or Program Files(x86) on the root of your C:\ drive.

Deacon211 #4383588 10/06/17 07:48 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
Originally Posted by Deacon211
Only a WOFF issue by extension.

I am trying to disable head shake, but can't seem to permanently deselect Read Only from either the file or the whole OBD folder. No matter how often I deselect RO, it keeps on selecting itself back on.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks all!


You must edit the file D3D8.ini located in WOFFScenery/Shaders folder.

JJJ65 #4383594 10/06/17 08:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
D
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
Originally Posted by FalkeEins
I believe it's a Windows "feature."

I remedied the issue by installing it on a non-system drive (Outside of C:\)

If that isn't possible, I'd suggest installing it outside of Program Files (or Program Files(x86) on the root of your C:\ drive.


Well, I installed it on the root directory but on the same drive as Windows since it is my only SSD.

Gotta love Microshaft. ;-)





Originally Posted by JJJ65
You must edit the file D3D8.ini located in WOFFScenery/Shaders folder.


Is that in addition to or instead of the one in the main folder?

And won't that run afoul of the same damn read only problem?


Thank you both for your help!

Deacon211 #4383597 10/06/17 08:48 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
Instead of, because WOFF copies D3D8.ini from WOFFScenery folder to OBDWW1 folder every time it is launched.
Do not set it as read only.

Deacon211 #4383724 10/07/17 05:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 476
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 476
I recommend that you try Robert Wiggins' "WOFF UE custom settings for the d3d8.dll file" mod. Your desired settings will be retained.

Deacon211 #4383727 10/07/17 05:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
Yes but the result is the same - mod will modify the D3D8.ini file located in WOFFScenery folder.

JJJ65 #4383736 10/07/17 07:01 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
D
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
I recommend that you try Robert Wiggins' "WOFF UE custom settings for the d3d8.dll file" mod. Your desired settings will be retained.


I might give it a shot. Out of curiosity, what does Robert's ini improve? Overall, the only thing I don't like in the current settings is the head bob.



Originally Posted by JJJ65
Yes but the result is the same - mod will modify the D3D8.ini file located in WOFFScenery folder.


That seems like in interesting design feature and one I would never have thought of, so thank you! Interestingly, after trying and failing to get the OBD folder or the ini to retain its non read only state several times yesterday, I got it to work today.

I have no idea what the difference is except that the computer had been shut down since then.

About to try and see if the head bob is indeed off now.

Last edited by Deacon211; 10/07/17 07:02 PM.
Deacon211 #4383738 10/07/17 07:06 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by Deacon211
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
I recommend that you try Robert Wiggins' "WOFF UE custom settings for the d3d8.dll file" mod. Your desired settings will be retained.


I might give it a shot. Out of curiosity, what does Robert's ini improve? Overall, the only thing I don't like in the current settings is the head bob.



Originally Posted by JJJ65
Yes but the result is the same - mod will modify the D3D8.ini file located in WOFFScenery folder.


That seems like in interesting design feature and one I would never have thought of, so thank you! Interestingly, after trying and failing to get the OBD folder or the ini to retain its non read only state several times yesterday, I got it to work today.

I have no idea what the difference is except that the computer had been shut down since then.

About to try and see if the head bob is indeed off now.


Deacon;

The D3D8 mod I put together has a "ReadMe" file that explains all the features and how to change them. Of course who ever reads instructions, Right? biggrin


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Deacon211 #4383743 10/07/17 08:31 PM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 476
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 476
Originally Posted by Deacon211
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
I recommend that you try Robert Wiggins' "WOFF UE custom settings for the d3d8.dll file" mod. Your desired settings will be retained.


I might give it a shot. Out of curiosity, what does Robert's ini improve? Overall, the only thing I don't like in the current settings is the head bob.


The mod's advantage is largely related to making it easier to install updates or do a complete reinstallation. Since it is a JSGME mod, you can just deactivate it (like other mods you might be using) with one click prior to an update and then reactivate it afterwards with one more click. You don't need to remember the file's name/location or what values need to be changed.

hoongadoonga #4383746 10/07/17 09:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
D
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
Originally Posted by Deacon211
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
I recommend that you try Robert Wiggins' "WOFF UE custom settings for the d3d8.dll file" mod. Your desired settings will be retained.


I might give it a shot. Out of curiosity, what does Robert's ini improve? Overall, the only thing I don't like in the current settings is the head bob.


The mod's advantage is largely related to making it easier to install updates or do a complete reinstallation. Since it is a JSGME mod, you can just deactivate it (like other mods you might be using) with one click prior to an update and then reactivate it afterwards with one more click. You don't need to remember the file's name/location or what values need to be changed.


Ah, so the ini is the same but, since it is "turned on and off" via JSGME, when you change something the file is not overwritten?

Deacon211 #4383755 10/07/17 09:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted by Deacon211
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
Originally Posted by Deacon211
Originally Posted by hoongadoonga
I recommend that you try Robert Wiggins' "WOFF UE custom settings for the d3d8.dll file" mod. Your desired settings will be retained.


I might give it a shot. Out of curiosity, what does Robert's ini improve? Overall, the only thing I don't like in the current settings is the head bob.


The mod's advantage is largely related to making it easier to install updates or do a complete reinstallation. Since it is a JSGME mod, you can just deactivate it (like other mods you might be using) with one click prior to an update and then reactivate it afterwards with one more click. You don't need to remember the file's name/location or what values need to be changed.


Ah, so the ini is the same but, since it is "turned on and off" via JSGME, when you change something the file is not overwritten?


The original WOFF file is swapped out by JSGME and replaced by the mod version. When you remove the mod from being active in the JSGME panel, the original file is put back.

That said, if you want to tailor the mod, look at the "ReadMe" file included with the mod.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 10/07/17 09:49 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Deacon211 #4383835 10/08/17 03:12 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
D
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
Well, that didn't work.

#@$%@$%#^$%&$%&%^*%^ing Microsoft!

I'm going to have to try the mod version. My only question is will the damn read only thing be an issue for this file as well?

Such a PITA.

Deacon211 #4383844 10/08/17 04:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Suspect not!


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
D
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Suspect not!


Robert I thank you.

And my computer, which was about to get reprogrammed with a large hammer, also thanks you!

It finally worked after many, many, many,......many attempts previously.

Deacon211 #4383848 10/08/17 04:18 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
thumbsup


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Deacon211 #4383850 10/08/17 04:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,082
You do not have to set D3D8.ini as read only. It is overwritten every time WOFF starts a mission.

JJJ65 #4383867 10/08/17 05:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
D
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,509
Originally Posted by JJJ65
You do not have to set D3D8.ini as read only. It is overwritten every time WOFF starts a mission.


No, it wasn't that. I tried making the changes to the ini file in the scenery folder, but the headshake was on again when I went back in the sim.

I looked at the properties and saw that it had been read only. I unchecked that, but when I went back it was rechecked. I tried to set the whole folder to not be read only. But again, reda only seemed to reselect itself.

Robert's method seemed to fix the issue...plus I've added a few other mods that I had never tried before so that's a plus!

Thank you both! I'm hoping I have solved the issue.


Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,904 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1