SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,857
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,857
My dog/best friend went missing today.
He escaped from the back garden probably chasing his mortal enemy the next door neighbour's cat.
Rang the dog pounds and so on, (No joy) drove around the whole of my immediate area no joy either
One of the kids posted pictures of him on Facebook within two hours I had a phone call from somebody who knew where he was
He is home safe and well. Thank you social media Never thought I would say that. LoL

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Very cool story marko1231123 and I'm glad you got your little buddy back. runningdog It's always a fear of mine, when one of my dogs escape from the backyard they go crazy, sometimes running towards the highway. Fortunately I'm in reasonable enough shape to give chase and then I use trickery to catch them, although it's been a long time now since that's happened.

I'm not involved with it, but I know Facebook can be a positive thing. One of my wife's cousins posted old family photos and in one of them was a very good picture of her father (died 1970) which is very hard to come by.



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 839
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 839
FB is certainly capable of good when people choose to do good. Glad you found your buddy, Marko!

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248
U
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot
U Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248
Do you like dog biscuits?

Call 555-123-1234 for the best dog biscuits on the planet.

Superbone!

Your dog will never leave you again with SUPERBONE!

A representative will be round in the next 30 minutes.


This advertisement is shown to you because of your Facebook posts about a missing dog. We know where you live.

(glad you found your dog!)

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Beats Elmer's Glue ads in response to a missing horse...

(congrats on finding your dog)

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
I'm really glad things turned out ok!
I post very little on FB, but I do subscribe to some local lost/found pet groups. They can work really well, like an amber alert for pets.
I'm paranoid about my dog getting out, although she doesn't really try. If she did, and saw a cat or squirrel that would be fun to chase...she's still a dog.
Helps my peace of mind having a collar with our contact info, a microchip and a tattoo mark for proving ownership.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
Every time I am satisfied with my dislike for FB, a story like this comes out. I'm glad you got your little buddy back. When I was young, our dog disappeared for about 3 days. I was devastated. Then he just appeared in the driveway. He looked like he had been hit by a car. His hair was all matted, and his tongue was hanging out. He looked near death. When we took him to the vet, they found two pellets from a BB gun in him. Some son-of-a beech must have shot him. Kudos to your kid who used social media wisely.

Just watched the movie The Social Network the other night. I wonder how accurate it really was?

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Gkad you got your companion back Marko


Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
.
Helps my peace of mind having a collar with our contact info, a microchip and a tattoo mark for proving ownership.

Here it is compulsory to have your dog chipped.

Our Jack Russell was and when he was taken that final time to the vet he was checked for his chip and confirmed as our dog before he was given his injection, then after he was gone the vet checked the chip again and then updated the database that he was deceased.


Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
Glad you got your dog back!

I see this happen a lot in my local area. There is a missing pets FB page for our town and it does seem to work quite often.

Having said that, I can't recommend GPS tagging highly enough. My wife and I have four dogs, all of which have GPS tags on their collars. Our Beagle in particular is prone to running off when she gets on the scent of something. With the GPS collar, I know exactly where to look for her if this happens. I caught up with her almost two miles from the house once (thankfully she hasn't wandered that far since).

This is the brand we use, but there are others out there too.
https://www.whistle.com.

The App works great, showing you a google map with your location as well as the location of the dog, so you know exactly where to go. It is not a cheap solution, but worth every penny IMHO.


Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by BlueHeron
FB is certainly capable of good when people choose to do good.



Yup. FB in that sense is no different from any other technology or tool.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
B
Old Scroat
Senior Member
Old Scroat
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
Nice to hear a good outcome from social Media usage occasionally though Panzer. All we tend to hear of in the media here is abuse of same.

The lurcher we have been fostering during his amputation and recovery has found an excellent 'Forever Home' thanks to promotion of FB.



Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 22,854
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 22,854

Last winter the dog was barking like mad, looking out the back door window. Now, he will bark at the wind, or kids walking on the sidewalk on the other side of the street, so normally it's not a big deal. But he was barking crazy, like something was genuinely wrong.

Came around to see a cat by the door. I waited patiently for the cat to leave, thinking the dog would scare it away. No dice. I figured if I cracked the door open, the louder dog barking would do it. Again no dice. Now, you have to understand, our dog is... all bark and no bite! Bark like it's the end of the world, but never actually attacks anyone, mostly just runs up, quick sniff and bored, walks away. Well I figured THAT would get the cat to leave.

Nope. Dog sniffed cat and wandered into the yard... so much for the upsetting barking! But then the cat made a beeline for the door and rushed inside. Well... the cat wouldn't stop moving. Kept rubbing against my leg, doing a figure 8 pattern. I went to pet the cat... and it was COLD. As in "been outside in get you killed" temperatures cold. It was -17C (that's 1.4 F for you Yankees and Englishers!) that night...

So I called my niece, and she was talking with her husband on the phone, and he said he thought he'd seen something about a missing cat. So he went on facebook, found the person with the missing cat and told them we had a cat that MIGHT be theirs, maybe. We couldn't take a picture of the cat because it just wouldn't stop moving!

So within ten minutes the owner came and they recognized each other, a good re-uniting. But by then I was getting very concerned that this cat may be in danger from too much hypothermia, and possibly shock. Turns out, this cat had been missing for a WEEK. Outside. And at least two of those days had seen -35C (that's -31F)... which quite frankly I thought would kill a cat. It MUST have found some sort of shelter and maybe a somewhat warm surface, or I'm certain it would have died before we saw it. I recommended they look up medical information about cats and cold weather, and to take it to a vet in the morning for a checkup.

Little Rocky, the pug dog, may not be the world's best guard dog, but in the twilight of his life managed to save a cat's life, and I think that's pretty good of him! And also for the people of facebook, for enabling pets and humans to re-connect again.


POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
J
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Originally Posted by Rick.50cal

Last winter the dog was barking like mad, looking out the back door window. Now, he will bark at the wind, or kids walking on the sidewalk on the other side of the street, so normally it's not a big deal. But he was barking crazy, like something was genuinely wrong.

Came around to see a cat by the door. I waited patiently for the cat to leave, thinking the dog would scare it away. No dice. I figured if I cracked the door open, the louder dog barking would do it. Again no dice. Now, you have to understand, our dog is... all bark and no bite! Bark like it's the end of the world, but never actually attacks anyone, mostly just runs up, quick sniff and bored, walks away. Well I figured THAT would get the cat to leave.

Nope. Dog sniffed cat and wandered into the yard... so much for the upsetting barking! But then the cat made a beeline for the door and rushed inside. Well... the cat wouldn't stop moving. Kept rubbing against my leg, doing a figure 8 pattern. I went to pet the cat... and it was COLD. As in "been outside in get you killed" temperatures cold. It was -17C (that's 1.4 F for you Yankees and Englishers!) that night...

So I called my niece, and she was talking with her husband on the phone, and he said he thought he'd seen something about a missing cat. So he went on facebook, found the person with the missing cat and told them we had a cat that MIGHT be theirs, maybe. We couldn't take a picture of the cat because it just wouldn't stop moving!

So within ten minutes the owner came and they recognized each other, a good re-uniting. But by then I was getting very concerned that this cat may be in danger from too much hypothermia, and possibly shock. Turns out, this cat had been missing for a WEEK. Outside. And at least two of those days had seen -35C (that's -31F)... which quite frankly I thought would kill a cat. It MUST have found some sort of shelter and maybe a somewhat warm surface, or I'm certain it would have died before we saw it. I recommended they look up medical information about cats and cold weather, and to take it to a vet in the morning for a checkup.

Little Rocky, the pug dog, may not be the world's best guard dog, but in the twilight of his life managed to save a cat's life, and I think that's pretty good of him! And also for the people of facebook, for enabling pets and humans to re-connect again.


Cats are survivors for sure. I will bet it was finding warm engines all the place to keep from becoming a brick.


Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,875 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1