SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,555
V
Hotshot
Hotshot
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,555
I tried to get this game going well a few months ago but ran out of free time and to be honest had a real hell of a time getting the controls mapped to my sidewinder stick. The stick has a huge lack of buttons but I have been using it for about 20 years and I consider it an extension of my arm.

How can I get this stick working and with buttons mapped as I want them? I like DCS's button mapping style, pretty straight forward, and can't really wrap my head around Falcon's these days.

I also have several flight control panels and switch panels from Saitek which I'd like to utilize for various switches, can these be recognized by Falcon? How about rotary knobs on those panels, and trim rotaries?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Not sure about the Saitek panels... weren't these more for FSX? IIRC those don't work outside of that particular civil aviation simulator.

As for your MS stick, you can map controls directly in the in-game UI or use DirectX mappings in the .key file. I'm not sure if anyone on the official forums flies with a MS Sidey stick but it wouldn't hurt to ask over there.... that way you can get specific help. I will admit that setting up Falcon can be a pain; luckily you only need to do it once and you should be good.

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,555
V
Hotshot
Hotshot
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,555
The panels have software which enable them to work for anything. The switches are just basic rocker switches with on-off positions. Certain functions like the autopilot probably only work in FSX but rotaries on the panels still have function - just not connected to the LED on the panel itself.

Is there any way to do stuff like ctrl+button= flaps up, ctrl+shift+button = flare etc. This is basically how I have all my sims set up to deal with the lack of buttons on the stick itself, but I don't really know how to get it working.

Also how about adjusting null zone and sensitivity?

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 796
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 796
Originally Posted by - Ice
Not sure about the Saitek panels... weren't these more for FSX? IIRC those don't work outside of that particular civil aviation simulator.

As for your MS stick, you can map controls directly in the in-game UI or use DirectX mappings in the .key file. I'm not sure if anyone on the official forums flies with a MS Sidey stick but it wouldn't hurt to ask over there.... that way you can get specific help. I will admit that setting up Falcon can be a pain; luckily you only need to do it once and you should be good.


I am using an MS SIDEWINDER FFB2, and yes, it needs more button, so I paired it with an X52 throttle.
Takes ages to configure them for each simulation, but after that it is the best combo I ever had.
I also tend to sit down in the corner and cry a bit when a new DCS release wipes my cfg.


Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow
Is there any way to do stuff like ctrl+button= flaps up, ctrl+shift+button = flare etc. This is basically how I have all my sims set up to deal with the lack of buttons on the stick itself, but I don't really know how to get it working.

If you flick a switch, can it output something like "CTRL+B" then if you flick id the other way, it'll output something like "ALT+B"? If so, then you're all set. Find out which key combination you're using for the controls you want (ie, flaps, gear, etc.) and then map that to your Saitek switches. I say "find out" because the key combos can be different depending on which .key file you're using.

I have been eyeing those panels since forever but never bought one because I thought they were useless outside of FSX or civvie sims. If they are as useful as you say, I wonder why I've not seen more in pits for combat sims.

Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow
Also how about adjusting null zone and sensitivity?

Can be done either in-game or if you have some sort of profiling sofware for your stick.

Originally Posted by Staniol
I also tend to sit down in the corner and cry a bit when a new DCS release wipes my cfg.

LOL!! I used to have a 2-3 day downtime after each DCS patch to make sure my controls and custom view settings were ported and configured correctly.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,951 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1