Is / was there a culture / region that uses the Term "Ploughing" as in the witcher (clearly a synonym for "#%&*$#" as used in modern english (meaning not sexual intercourse but everything else)
Most of the human townsfolk and soldiers have English accents.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
I'm not sure. Skelligers come off as a Viking/Norwegian-type people. Nilfgaardians also have a real interesting, harsh Germanic sounding tongue. Dwarves definitely have a Scottish-like brogue.
Guess we need more native speakers in this thread. And this time americans do not count.
I was in irland for several weeks (westport, small town roughly in the middle of the westport). The people there did not have a particular accent, at least when talking to a foreigner, except one guy that I could not understand at all. Never would have guessed that skellige is irish accent. Culture is clearly viking.
Guess we need more native speakers in this thread. And this time americans do not count. .
And what exactly makes you say that? Which "native" speakers are you curious about?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Well people from GB and Ireland. Since it was already esrablished that this is the region the accents come from. I think americans are less qualified to judge that.
Regarding nilfgardians, they do not sound like germans speaking english, maybe germanic accent is not quite right.
Ploughing, heard ths before outside the context of farming?. Is the usage in the game an invention or is there a rl examlpe (time and/or region)?
I seem to remember from my English classes that "to plough" was also used in the sense of "have intercourse" (though probably not as a swear word) in the Middle English period. I suppose the Witcher team got their inspiration from the Canterbury Tales and the like.
So my assessment as an American is somewhat correct then? Not sure why this thread got all pretentious but probably has to do with "nation will rise against nation" and that comes from a God who created all nations from one(His words not mine)and a God I suspect isn't impressed with these arguments as He's the one directly responsible for why it is we all speak different languages in the first place. He's not any of these things but when He came to this world He was a Jew.(Some folks will have a hard time with that but then they don't understand ancient, pre-historical covenant prophecy)
I suppose it sounds like a term that seems like its historical, I don't know. Perhaps its more akin to the word "taffing" that the Thief series seems to have created that more or less can be used in the same way.
I understand where Brun was coming from with the Irish Skelligers, Skelligenians Skelligons. Cerys for example sounds Irish accent to me, but obviously they have a Nordic/Norse influence as well.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Shakespeare uses "un'eared" as a synonym for "un-ploughed" in an unambiguous sense meaning sexual relations in the Sonnets... though I don't recall ever seeing a direct usage of ploughing earlier than mid 50s US writing, the symbolism is certainly nearly as old as agriculture.
The earliest terms I am aware of are Sard, foin and Swive, with to Jape and f**k also being common in the C16th.