SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
SW Battlefront beta:

http://starwars.ea.com/en_AU/starwars/battlefront/beta

Preloading starts in a little while, game is open not too long after that.
Yes, it uses Origin.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
I'll be eager to read first impressions and reviews from fellow SimHQ members who play this.

As for Origin, I've never had a problem with it so it's a non-issue for me.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
I've watched a lot of gameplay video. It's honestly Battlefield with Star Wars weapons. I'll pick it up on PC for competitive play, but "Battlefront 3" it is not.


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Peally
I've watched a lot of gameplay video. It's honestly Battlefield with Star Wars weapons. I'll pick it up on PC for competitive play, but "Battlefront 3" it is not.


If the coop mode is done well I'll get it. I assume this supports a coop mode vs. AI bots. If it doesn't I won't bother.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
Negative. There is coop in a survival/wave mode that reminds me of those BF3 coop missions a little, and there's 10 bots per team in squadron mode, and that's it for AI. Pretty big bummer.

There's always a place for a good MP shooter on my PC, but Battlefront was always about big authentic AI battles across the movies and I don't think I ever played MP once with the old games. Think of this as a reboot or a different game sharing a similar name.


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Thanks for that info Peally. I may still end up getting it once it's on sale. I'm in no rush.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 241
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 241
Have you seen the system requirements? As a Star Wars fan I hoped I might just be a new GPU away, but this would most likely require a new PC.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
They're not too bad. Watch the Buy/Sell forum here, I've picked up newer computer parts on the cheap before.


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
J
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Downloading PC version now, wow, over 10gb. Forgot I had an Origin account. With
a few games in it. Been years since I have done anything with it.


Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
10 GB for a game now is no big deal. Both Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry 4 are over 30 GB each.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 746
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 746
Running the beta at 1440x900 res with a
I3 4170
8 GB Ram
R9 270 2 GB Ram
Game auto detect sets everything on medium (need to check that later for more detail information)
And it runs very well.
Only in the opening sequence there are a few hickups but ingame no low fps.


Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
I ran it all on ultra and easily got over 30 fps. Ran very smoothly.
Definitely feels like SW Battlefront to me, but less annoying with how many shots to kill and your shots travel much faster than in the old games.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 746
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 746
Just checked. With my Specs above i get 100-140 fps at medium. Will try higher settings.


Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,080
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,080
Played on ps4 last night with my brother. Very fun game to play online with friends, it's easy to join up in a party and play online or coop with friend(s). Coop mode was really fun can't wait to play the other maps, just wish there were more than 4 of them in the full game.

Graphics are really sharp, looks much better than BF4 (It better since there's less people on screen). Clean interface and UI, I really like the white simple design. And oh the sound. It is amazing. Crank it up and I get goosebumps.

Some things I don't like is the dumbed down flight controls. You can't roll like BF4, they made it almost like Starfox flight controls with special moves. Wish there was a more advance control option.

Also don't like the vehicle token spawn instead of seeing the actual vehicles and getting in them like BF4.

I'm also worried about there being enough content. I want more, more, more vehicles, guns, soldiers, maps, ect. I have a feeling they may come in DLC or the sequel in a few years. A few design decisions with this game make it seem like they cut corners to make it simpler to get out before Call of Duty and Episode VII.


Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
I agree. The powerups were a disappointment as was the fact that the vehicles dont just spawn and you dont get to climb in and out (though you can do it magically with E (on pc) but it just feels offputting having your guy pop in and out magically.

I have real doubts that there will be enough content for this to be worth buying. I played it a bit yesterday and after about an hour or so it all felt the same. There was no real variety.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Thanks for that info Master and Kestrel.

I'll definitely be holding off on getting this until it's on a big sale.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
Also there wasnt any sort of terrain destruction which felt odd considering this was the battlefield engine. The only destruction was in the vs AI survival where the rock piles you were hiding behind would blow up... I might just not have seen anything. I mostly played Hoth and Hoth is just slow and concrete bunkers so not much to blow up there.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 746
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 746
Not realy terrain destructions but those footprints in the snow looks nice from myself or an AT-AT . I saw small rocks sliding downwards and sunk into snow.
Btw: i got 60+ fps on ultra with my PC. The terrains looks realy realistic. The blinking snow on Hoth or the Rocks on Sullust.


Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
B
Hotshot
Hotshot
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
Tried it out on PC this morning. It was fun and arcadey. The mouse look was a little delayed here and there but it happened rarely. I like how it was one shot one kill on the Stormtroopers even if oyu shoot them in the toe. Just like in the movie! It was also very intuitive.

I'll play more and report back.

v6,
boNes


"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
Downloaded demo before I saw the specs, I tried to run it anyway, it crashed on the main screen. A 4 Gb vid card and 16 Gigs of RAM is a bit ridiculous for a game doncha think?


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,939 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1