SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,945
Likes: 13
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,945
Likes: 13
MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.

He told us: "The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

"I know of two instances where people on metered connections went over their data cap for August because of this unwanted download. My own internet (slow DSL) was crawling for a week or so until I discovered this problem. In fact, that's what led me to it. Not only does it download, it tries to install every time the computer is booted."

We asked Microsoft to comment on whether it was downloading Windows 10 anyway as the company rushes to build on the 75 million machines with the new OS installed in its first month, putting it in fourth place behind Window 7, 8.1 and the erstwhile XP.

Microsoft told us: "For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they�ll need if they decide to upgrade.

"When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device.�

In other words, if you are patching via Patch Tuesday, as you should of course be, then you are going to get a big hefty folder on your hard drive ready so you can update to Windows 10 on demand.

Now, far be it from The INQUIRER to point fingers, but isn't this a bit presumptuous on Microsoft's part? We know it's keen to get everyone on Windows 10 as quickly as possible but this is not a small background patch - it's a whopping huge operating system image.

For someone using a 2-in-1 with 32GB of flash memory, that's a hefty chunk of their storage being clogged up with an OS that they might not want yet, if at all.

Whether you believe it's to avoid fragmentation or to spy on you depends on how much pot you smoked in college, but it now appears to have gone from 'over keen' to 'needy' and you have to wonder why and whether it's going to blow up in the company's face.

It should be enough of a clue that over 10 percent of Windows machines are still on XP and Vista, while there's over 40 percent more of the market on 7 than on 8, to be able to tell that people don't like to assume.

It's like the U2 iTunes debacle again. After that, Bono said: "Oops � I�m sorry about that. I had this beautiful idea � might have got carried away with ourselves. Artists are prone to that thing.

"A drop of megalomania, a touch of generosity, a dash of self-promotion, and deep fear that these songs that we poured our life into over the last few years mightn't be heard. There�s a lot of noise out there. I guess we got a little noisy ourselves to get through it."


CPU = i9 14900KS
GPU = RTX 5080
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 907
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 907
...there are Reasons, that this PC, I'm currently writing from, does not sport a Windows-System... and it isn't an Apple, neither...
Sometimes I think, that I might be a bit too neurotic, but the Problem seems to be, that the Mainstream of Society has become completely naive... one can only do these and similar Things with (and to) a naive Society

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 740
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 740
Next thing,they'll try to sell you gadgets,T-shirts and Bibles..... biggrin All downloaded of course!

Quote:
...there are Reasons, that this PC, I'm currently writing from, does not sport a Windows-System... and it isn't an Apple, neither...


well they never "pushed" anything into my Macs,so far hahaha


" In vino veritas "
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Panama Red, I have no such problem on my Windows 7 system and maybe because I followed the procedures in the following article:

How to stop windows spying and windows 10 upgrad issues etc

It's worth reading.


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,267
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,267
I don't have problems on my 3 Windows 7 systems but I can't tell you why ......


LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
Where would i look to see if this is sitting on my computer?
I thought I blew through a large amount of GBs recently that I couldn't account for.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,532
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,532
Did an update and did not install the "updates" in Robert's article for what that's worth....MS has ways of getting what they want anyway.
Seems like they have been awful bold lately. Clearly the lack of competition in the OS market has driven them mad.

Anyone know how to get rid of the "Update to Windows 10" nag-ware in my Taskbar?
The process has the insidious name of "GWX".

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,945
Likes: 13
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,945
Likes: 13
DIH:
Read and follow this article to get rid of the nagging Windows 10 icon: Get rid of the Windows 10 nagging icon


CPU = i9 14900KS
GPU = RTX 5080
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Did an update and did not install the "updates" in Robert's article for what that's worth....MS has ways of getting what they want anyway.
Seems like they have been awful bold lately. Clearly the lack of competition in the OS market has driven them mad.

Anyone know how to get rid of the "Update to Windows 10" nag-ware in my Taskbar?
The process has the insidious name of "GWX".


Yeah Duke, remove KB2505438. That is the culprit but also remove the others in the article I posted you as they are "telemetry" updates for spying on your system activity and are part and parcel of the WIN 10 preparation upgrade process. Panama Red's link is also very good advice.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 09/13/15 03:16 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,743
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,743
'Privacy' seems to have become an obsolete concept at some point in the development of the digital world. Nowadays people take it for granted that the Big Brother is always watching everything they do in the web.

This MS stuff is simply a continuation of this trend, and doesn't surprise me in the least.


"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
popcorn

I wondered why after the last updates that my machine went to Slow Town. If they keep down loading patches, I will have to buy a better machine just to run unwanted patches from Microsoft. Thanks for the Heads up guys.

Last edited by carrick58; 09/13/15 05:16 PM.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
I have elected to turn off update downloads and I check them out carefully on a number of forums before deciding if I will load them. MS is becoming a real pain in the arse. (can I say that on the forum?)


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,532
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,532
Originally Posted By: Panama Red
DIH:
Read and follow this article to get rid of the nagging Windows 10 icon: Get rid of the Windows 10 nagging icon


Thanks PR and Robert!

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,595
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,595
Regarding if you should install Windows 10 or not, consider that Windows 10 will not have a product key, instead it will register your hardware on M$ servers when you install it.

So, I will probably clean install windows 10 then uninstall it. Then I'll put windows 7 back since I don't have that many programs to reinstall. This way, I can install windows 10 anytime in the future for free... that is until I decide to upgrade my hardware.

Joined: May 2014
Posts: 674
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 674
Well, I got rid of the icon and about 4.5 GB of data that was hanging around, probably just in case.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Just shoot me...
Member
Just shoot me...
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Good night! The company of Gates has become the antithesis of what the likes of Gates, Jobs, etc. set out to do - autonomous computers with no need for the "mainframe".

I don't want to be the tinfoil-hatted reactionary, but really, this is getting ridiculous. My static drive is tight on space as it is, but more important is the presumptuousness and uninvited intrusiveness by M$. Like I said on a previous thread, you have no idea what's going across that wire any more.

Thanks, PanamaRed & RW.


Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,743
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted By: HumanDrone

I don't want to be the tinfoil-hatted reactionary, but really, this is getting ridiculous. My static drive is tight on space as it is, but more important is the presumptuousness and uninvited intrusiveness by M$. Like I said on a previous thread, you have no idea what's going across that wire any more.


The sad thing is that you don't even need to wear a tinfoil hat anymore - most of that crap has now become reality in the form of ever increasing surveillance by governments and corporations.

I'd gladly get rid of Windows completely, but unfortunately there are no true alternatives if one wishes to play computer games like WOFF easily and without problems.


"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,420
Member
Member
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,420
Does WOFF run on Linux?


Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Just shoot me...
Member
Just shoot me...
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Banjoman: I have no idea how good the Windows emulators are on Linux, but I imagine that's what it would take.

Hasse: I would get rid of Windows as well, but as you say, that's not possible for WOFF (though I can unplug from "teh intarwebz" and still run). What gets me is the creeping obtrusiveness of it all. Open your Task Manager and if you can tell what even 1/10th of what those processes and services are doing, you'll get a "Golden Geek" award from me. Your "personal computer" isn't personal any more. Criminee, I've written real-time code in hexidecimal & an half-decent in in a number of coding languages, and I won't get into the Registry without a backup and careful, step-by-step guidance. What of the average consumer? My mother-in-law did her own Windows 10 upgrade and had no idea all that information was being sent back to M$.

More and more, it's assumed in so many aspects of life that you have some sort of device that connects you to the internet. And more and more we trade our privacy - and control - for convenience.


Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
Banjoman: I have no idea how good the Windows emulators are on Linux, but I imagine that's what it would take.

Hasse: I would get rid of Windows as well, but as you say, that's not possible for WOFF (though I can unplug from "teh intarwebz" and still run). What gets me is the creeping obtrusiveness of it all. Open your Task Manager and if you can tell what even 1/10th of what those processes and services are doing, you'll get a "Golden Geek" award from me. Your "personal computer" isn't personal any more. Criminee, I've written real-time code in hexidecimal & an half-decent in in a number of coding languages, and I won't get into the Registry without a backup and careful, step-by-step guidance. What of the average consumer? My mother-in-law did her own Windows 10 upgrade and had no idea all that information was being sent back to M$.

More and more, it's assumed in so many aspects of life that you have some sort of device that connects you to the internet. And more and more we trade our privacy - and control - for convenience.


+1 thumbsup


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,207 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1