|
|
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180 |
I noticed this thing in the Mach gauge, where sometimes the, for lack of a better term, "joint" of the needles is black, and sometimes grey. Black: http://i.imgur.com/apgmTAZ.pngGrey: http://i.imgur.com/7bIWuYI.pngThe other thing I was wondering about is the pitot handle ( http://i.imgur.com/o1GJpXB.png). It's set to standby by default instead of main, why is that? Is it standby as in not turned on, or a backup system?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,599
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,599 |
It might be a z-fighting issue with close planes or a lighting/material thing.
I'm not sure of the pitot. I believe the top point points toward the label so it could be in main by default. There are two pitot-static systems PDV-18-5M main and PDV-7 emergency, so a backup. You'll note at the bottom of the center column there are heater switches for both.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 340
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 340 |
Pitot handle is set according to the "drawing" above it, ie. clockwise gives standby, counter-clockwise gives main. It is on main by default, the screen above shows switched position.
Flickering needles happen also on NPP gauge (depending on view direction and zoom level), probably a gfx glitch as Frederf said.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180 |
My bad regarding pitot switch: It is on Main in that pic because I have a habit of switching it to that position. Is it just me who always have it turned to Standby by default no matter if it's a cold or warm start?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,749
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,749 |
My pitot has always been set to standby by default.
forum: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion discussion: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic censorship: practice of suppressing a text or part of a text that is considered objectionable
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 340
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 340 |
Errr... Scrim, are we talking about the third picture in Your first post? If yes, then I'd say You (and streakeagle) are misinterpreting the position of the switch. I'm looking at the pic right now and the switch is definitely in standby position. To make it more clear - long part of the switch arm (the part below switch axis) corresponds to the drawing on the placard above. Or to put it other way - long part is both handle and the pointer. Short part above the axis is NOT the pointer, as one would expect it to be, based on similar switches in western airplanes.
By default, cold start, warm start, ground start, air start, whatever, long part points to the right, which means Main pitot is on. On the pic above, You have switched it to Standby.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,599
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,599 |
I remember seeing that for the first time and thinking "Man, that's not really clear." Then I tried to think like a developer would they put it on main by default to prevent noobs from flying around on standby or is it on standby because the regular startup check means checking both systems so might as well start standby so you end up in main.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180 |
Good God above! That's how it functions Art? Russians... 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180 |
Another random question: Does anyone know of a good way to stay around Mach 2? I go up to around 8000m, put it in full AFB, but when I get to Mach 2 I can't stay there. Either the throttle is too far forward, causing it to approach 2.1 where you get a compressor stall, or the throttle is too far back, causing the plane to rather rapidly leave Mach 2. Is there literally speaking no middle ground between too fast and too slow?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 340
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 340 |
Yep, although the engine limitations have been introduced in one of last patches at last, looks like Novak is going to have to spend some time tuning the FM more. But, as LN guys acknowledged, they have bunch of MiG fixes and improvements being prepared for DCS2 release, so I'm not worried about this issue, 'cause they still have a relatively good record of supporting their product. Meanwhile... As of now, maintaining constant, rated top speed of Ma 2.05 is challenging and a bit of a frustrating experience. Basically, when You hit Ma 2, turn Yourself into extremely precise Ninja, zoom on the instrument panel and start reducing the throttle so that EGT drops to about 685-ish degrees (IIRC). As You noticed, a bit more and You accelerate to compressor stall, a bit less and the AFB goes out and the plane decelerates quickly. Finding the sweet spot in between (or rather razor edge I'd say  ) is damn hard, but it's doable. I'f You're good (or lucky) enough the speed should stop around Ma 2.05. Even with rockets and a single external tank. Outrageous precision of Your joystick's throttle is mandatory, however  . I've been considering adding some curvature to my linear throttle response line to make engine management at hight speeds easier!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180 |
Yeah, tried it again today, it's really balancing on a thin, thin line. I think that for now at least, I'll be better off cutting afterburner when I reach Mach 2 since the Fishbed's great at keeping the speed it's accumulated for a rather long time. Will save a bunch of fuel and be more healthy for the engine as well I assume.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Entil'zha Sierra Hotel
|
|
Entil'zha Sierra Hotel
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716 |
How about kicking hard rudder and opposite aileron to induce some drag so you can leave the throttle higher?  The Jedi Master
The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180 |
Hehe. I've actually been trying to leave stuff that should be jettisoned prior to Mach 2, e.g. centerline drop tank on to create some drag, but that didn't help.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 597
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 597 |
I learn a lot from you guys.  Keep talking... I am trying to think of an aircraft that has been such a handful as the '21 in recent years. I have never been so shocked by a flight model. This reminds me of Gee Bee Racer for FSX. Of course, the landings and takeoffs of the WW2 birds in ED are no joke but still nothing is as rowdy as the Fishbed in the air. Thanks for the tips. Maico
Maico i7 5930 @4.2Ghz EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid DDR4 3000 x 32Gig Fatal1ty x99x Mother LG 34"UC97 Curved Ultra Wide 3440x1440 TiR5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Slaw Device Bf-109 Pedals
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
|
|
|