SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 … 14 15 16 17
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Considering we've seen so little of Normandy compared to Hormuz and NTTR, I'd say they'll be released in that reverse order. WHEN is a totally different matter, but the order is fairly clear. I allow wiggle room for Normandy to come out before Hormuz in case they redirect efforts.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
No point in building normandy until after the WWII units are done.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
conversely, it has been pointed out to me that there is no point in buying WW2 add ons if there is no WW2 maps to fly over.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
Guys, Battle of Stalingrad is available for your WW2 warbird fix.

Oh yeah, I went there.


"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 597
B
(v) Viper Driver
Member
(v) Viper Driver
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 597
Originally Posted By: toonces
Guys, Battle of Stalingrad is available for your WW2 warbird fix.

Oh yeah, I went there.


I been there too and concurr.

All of this DCS WW2 junk is humbug, just detracts development resources from DCSW2 and the HornetC.. Already well covered in BoS and CoD.


"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
conversely, it has been pointed out to me that there is no point in buying WW2 add ons if there is no WW2 maps to fly over.


You could say that,

I have however played some nice missions with the -51D and Other WW2 aircraft, on modern Georgia map.

With Normandy, its being modeled in the WWII timefrane, so it would be odd to run missions with Hunmers, BTRs, SA-8s and Manpads etc. In a terrain modeked to be 1944ish.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
He was being sarcastic I think, but honestly yeah there's modern WWII stuff for that fix. What's in DCS I consider in the same vein as WWII planes in FSX, it's just there to play with and appreciate.


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Nromandy will be insane, no radars, no modern stuff, and lots of planes everywhere, no missile worries, just flak and guns :-)


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
If all you care for is dogfighting, then terrain is almost irrelevant. Any patch of land without ADA will do to let you tussle A2A with an enemy.

If you want to go ground pounding, THAT is when the proper terrain is needed. I admit I probably split my time 50/50, I know some prefer one or the other.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 825
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 825
Quote:
there is no point in buying WW2 add ons if there is no WW2 maps to fly over


But the Stang is still tons of fun if mudmoving is your thing. It was used in Korea as a ground attack plane and there're period ground unit mods available now, plus a great tropical scenery you can use to make it all look a bit nicer. Not in any way historical per se, true, but at least a plausible 50-60s scenario still.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
P-51s vs Trains is a common thing..


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Originally Posted By: toonces
Guys, Battle of Stalingrad is available for your WW2 warbird fix.

Oh yeah, I went there.


biggrin

strong community and nice developer, not a bad choice smile

Originally Posted By: Art_J
I'd love to fly over Normandy in one of custom-repainted Mustangs (courtesy of Mr Weiss biggrin ), but judging from the latest announcements, looks like this map has indeed been put on a backburner somewhat. The damn jet-heads are going to get their playgrounds sooner. Oh well, I can only hope experience gained during NTTR and Hormuz development will make Normandy better, whenever it comes.


smile

my best guesstimate is late 2016 for the Normandy map

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,024
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,024
COD is currently the best WW2 combat sim at the moment, BUT it won't have VR support for quite sometime if ever. I'm looking forward too DCS WW2, the new EDGE graphic engine, and Oculus Rift CV1 support. Once you fly with decent VR, few will go back to flying with a monitor and TrackIR.


Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
I'm looking forward to using the Rift doing carrier traps, not in a P-51 flying over a beach.

I understand bringing in Oleg and company to boost brand acceptance with the prop heads, but that didn't really pan out did it.

So please quit wasting time and bring on the jets! Guessing ED/DCS has a contract with some airforce for training sims with all
their attention to trainers, but the Mirage looks cool. And a Typhoon in the works. WoW.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 624
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 624
I'm like Chivas: I want DCS WW2 because it's the only combat sim with real VR support in the mid term. We might be a tiny minority right now, but once VR hmds will reach the stage of consumer distribution VR support will be a key feature that simmers will look for. Once you've tried simming in VR it's really really hard to go back to monitor. I don't see myself simming in non-VR in 2016 (I barely do now, I spend most of my time in DSC and Prepar3d with my DK2).
PS: even without the VR aspects, IL2 BOS is not really a sim I enjoy anyway, I don't count it as fulfilling my needs for a WW2 sim

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 30
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 30
Originally Posted By: piper
Guessing ED/DCS has a contract with some airforce for training sims with all
their attention to trainers, but the Mirage looks cool. And a Typhoon in the works. WoW.



The trainers that have been released, such as the Hawk and C-101 were 3rd party driven and ED had no bearing
on those choices except to grant rights into their platform. I will say, although I may be wrong, that I believe
ED has priority to other contracts which I'm sure are military driven. The focus as far as the commercial/entertainment
side is for ED to get the core (DCSW2) nailed down. I will agree and say that this is taking way too long considering that in 2013 we were getting close to release.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Originally Posted By: piper
Guessing ED/DCS has a contract with some airforce for training sims with all
their attention to trainers, but the Mirage looks cool. And a Typhoon in the works. WoW.



what Mirage ?

Originally Posted By: mister_mystic68


The trainers that have been released, such as the Hawk and C-101 were 3rd party driven and ED had no bearing
on those choices except to grant rights into their platform. I will say, although I may be wrong, that I believe
ED has priority to other contracts which I'm sure are military driven. The focus as far as the commercial/entertainment
side is for ED to get the core (DCSW2) nailed down. I will agree and say that this is taking way too long considering that in 2013 we were getting close to release.


some people might call me too optimistic, but a last quarter 2015 and no later than second quarter 2016 would be a good guesstimate.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
RazBam is doing the Mirage,

The Trainers C-101 and Hawk are Also 3rd party projects.


Last edited by SkateZilla; 05/06/15 02:42 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
which Mirage ? my favorite maybe : the IIIC ?

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 79
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 79
Mirage 2000 (don't know which version)

Page 16 of 17 1 2 … 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,079,313 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1