SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Hop To
Page 176 of 442 1 2 … 174 175 176 177 178 … 441 442
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Ah, nice to see the reports coming in again folks;

Lederhosen, Your report format is very creative and original. Very nice to see. Finally into a Chasse Squadron. thumbsup

Carrick; I too have noticed the wind effects but not to the extent you have experienced. I guess I have something to look forward to.

HarryH; Night bombing! Now that seems like an execise in futility doesn't it!

Raine; Good to see Cam writing some fine reports again! Cam has to dump those strutters and get a scout! That's tough work he has.


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Finally got caught up on Cam's letter writing. Happy New Year everyone!

29 December 1916
3 Squadron RNAS
St-Pol-sur-Mer, France

Hi kid,

I suppose I should have written yesterday to tell you I was still in one piece, but I was too busy giving thanks and drinking pink gins with Arnie Arthur in the wardroom to be that unselfish. Life is good again. Arnie and I took our Stutters up early yesterday into a frigid pale sky and climbed to 10,000 feet before heading over Hunland for our third crack at that railroad junction. We were supposed to have an escort, but once again they lagged behind.

You have to divide the sky into sections and examine each one methodically. I stared until my head ached but to my surprise never spotted a single German aircraft. A high altitude drop was all Corps was getting out of us today � and the Hun Archie opened up as we approached the target, bouncing us around the sky. Good shooting, considering our height. We dropped our bombs and turned west, both Strutters in a full-throttle shallow dive the whole way. I reported the target damaged, although I confess that may have been wishful thinking as the junction was largely obscured by cloud.

Today is miserable and windy, a hard ground frost and driving sleet. All flights are washed out and according to the met office we�re not likely to get up again until the New Year. Our officers have all been invited to a Hogmanay dinner and dance at the Alexandra Hospital. I�ve been put in charge of meal pipes, then playing a pibroch before the main course � Glencoe, I think. I�ve told Red Mulock he has to make the toast to the Pipe Major (me) as they would in a highland regiment, but he said something very naval and very rude in reply! Still, I'm insisting on free drinks for my efforts.

But I�ve saved the best news to last. I have a pass to head to England by destroyer on New Year�s Day and � as soon as the weather permits � fly a brand new Sopwith Pup back, my very own! I�ve been chatting with AM1 Kwiatkowski, my lead mechanic, and we�re going to go over it bolt by bolt. PO Blackbeard says I should get Kwiatkowski working on my Bedalia too, since there is a chap in the seaplane base at Dunkirk with a Morgan, and he wants to set up a challenge endurance race after the winter. I think he really just wants to make book on it, actually.

Things are looking brighter, which is a good thing now that the Entente has told the Kaiser what to do with his so-called peace proposal.

I heard that Dad got the promotion he wanted as Superintendent of the Halifax Graving Dock Company. He deserves it. You won't be able to put up with Mum now! How does it feel to be a rich man's spoiled brat?

Write soon, and kick that cat for me!

Cam



"We dropped our bombs and turned west, ... in a full-throttle shallow dive the whole way."
-- Farewell to the Strutter!

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Originally Posted By: carrick58
logbook:

While cleaning out the Rooms, I came across an Old Picture of the Captianie and the Adj that I replaced.


upload a picture


Carrick,

Weren't these guys lobby boys in The Grand Budapest Hotel?

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 1
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Ah, nice to see the reports coming in again folks;


HarryH; Night bombing! Now that seems like an execise in futility doesn't it!.

In my case, utterly futile indeed!


System: AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 4.2 GHz, MSI INSPIRE GeForce RTX 5070Ti, 16GB GDDR7 PCI Express 5.0 Graphics Card, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64G RAM, Dell triple 27",TrackIR5, HyperX Cloud 7.1 wireless headset, HF-8 haptic seat, Thrustmaster HOTAS.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,377
Likes: 3
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,377
Likes: 3
G-- Da-- it, wounded again!!!! Too much wine and cake in Paris over the holidays I guess. We bumped into two flights of Rolands. I prayed they didn't see us but to no avail. We got one but all four of us limped home with our tails between our legs. The N17 is ok to fly, but its pop gun just aint up to modern standards.

mercy
duc la T�te


make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Lederhosen, Sorry to hear that! Hope the nurses are pretty!


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
It was good catching up on reports with my morning coffee.
Going to have to de-ice the sat dish before I watch Roberts video.....

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted By: MudWasp
It was good catching up on reports with my morning coffee.
Going to have to de-ice the sat dish before I watch Roberts video.....


Oh Yeah! I know what that's like. Been getting a lot of freezing rain here these days!


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
The horror of it all!

Having got WOFF V2 as a Christmas present, I am unable to play it due to having to get a new video card, so my plans of re-joining the DiD campaign is yet again delayed.

Keep the great reports coming - they are now my morning read before RL takes over.


'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Brain deBois-Gulibare
Adj, SOP 7
6 Jan 17.

Logbook: I flew as #2 a/c of a 3 plane section for Bombardment of Infantry East of Reims. 1st Flt added 1 a/c for Damage Assessment. Met with 2 N-17s as High Cover from Esc 68. Dropped on leader bombs, Maybe we hit something ? I couldn't tell at all. The Capitaine was happy when we landed,but un- happy that we lost an a/c that was reported forced down behind Enemy Lines.


picture hosting


free image hosting

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
wave

Raine: They look like Bell Hops Hun?

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 191
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 191
Sergeant Artie Lange
Marieux Aerodrome
RFC 5 Piloting B.E.2c
3 Jan 17 - Flight grounded due to bad weather
4 Jan 17 - Flight grounded due to bad weather




5 Jan 17 - Artillery Spotting Over the Lines

After much debate and hesitation RFC 5 A and B flights were cleared to take off at 9h2 in some of the coldest and harshest weather to date. We were given an artillery spotting mission over the lines that had been in the works for over a week and follows up our previous mission farther south. According to the brass we need to come back with solid data to report that will assist our front lines with planning their movement and attacks. We were all under stress due to the weather this morning, but suited up for the business at hand. After reaching our rendezvous with 4 Nieuport 17's from Esc 26 flying cover, we experienced some engine trouble that caused us to fall behind slightly. Whatever it was seemed to right itself and we were able to catch up to our squad mates. Flying and fighting the enemy in these birds is difficult enough but in the dead of winter it is down right a miserable business.




Visibility was poor at best but we reached our target and spotting the artillery was completed fairly quick order. Our flight returned without firing a shot and the word came in later that our cover flight of Nieuport 17's from Esc 26 made it back safely as well. No enemy was visible and were most likely grounded due to the bad weather.

My observer/gunner Captain Tallon Winfrey and I are getting along well. Even though I am up for a transfer, I have decided to stay with this fine group of men at RFC 5 in Marieux a little while longer. My ultimate goal is to be a fighter with an elite group of chaps, but that day will have to wait until I feel ready for to make that request.





Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
7
Member
Member
7 Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
Hi Guys: Good reports!

I had my first flights of 1917 in the last couple of days. Somewhere along the line I've apparently been promoted to Flight Lieutenant, and am now starting to lead a few flights. If it was announced by WOFF, I missed it.

I noticed that my map needs updating as the frontlines have moved around Ypres and several new airfields have popped into existence with the new year.

Got injured today by some nasty Albatros lads near Menen and had to dead-stick land my Strutter in our trenches. I'm in the hospital until the weekend.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
Rittmeister Bachmeier and Udet drew an airfield defence mission. Udet has been given a new DIII to fly, but Bachmeier doesn't have one yet. Just not enough to go around.

The french came out to fight today. A very brave lone pilot fought well, but not good enough.







having a bad internet day....pics aren't loading correctly

Last edited by MudWasp; 01/07/15 12:52 AM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Cam Fraser is learning the art of being a scout pilot

6 January 1916
Calais, France

Hi kid,

Let me tell you about the Pup, and then regale you with adventures from the past two days. But first let me tell you about carbonnade. As I write, I am in Calais. A group of the boys took the tender in this evening for a concert, but I decided I�d rather take a walk about and meet them later. I�m sitting in the "Hotel des Sauvages" contemplating carbonnade, a wonderful French-Flemish stew of rabbit (I�m told beef is more common), mushrooms, and onions, all done in a sauce made from the local dark beer. Wonderful stuff on a cold, snowy evening like this one.

Now for the Pup. I sailed with Arnie Arthur in the destroyer HMS Tartar to Dover on New Year�s Day and found our new Pups already at the air station there. After a brief familiarization I took mine for a 40 minute flight along the south coast of England. The Pup is a wonderful aircraft, nimble and light. It�s like a thoroughbred compared to the Hun planes, which are like cavalry chargers, or compared to aircraft like the BE2 that the RFC uses, which are like docile cart horses. It could do with a bit more power, mind you, and our rate of fire is no better than the Vickers gun on the old Strutter. But this one�s all mine.

The following morning we took off for St-Pol at seven o'clock, me leading Arthur. Had some scary minutes lost in cloud over the Channel and descended through absolutely filthy weather so find the familiar harbour of Dunkirk nearly straight ahead in the mist. It was pure luck. In truth I had set course to make landfall well west of Dunkirk so I would know to turn east to find it when I saw the coast. But thanks to Arnie Arthur the story of my navigation prowess has spread quickly. Red Mulock is already calling me Magellan.

Weather kept us grounded until yesterday, when five of us, Mulock, Robin Mack, �Tiny� Travers, Arnie, and me, were ordered to patrol from Diksmuide north to the Channel coast. We reached Diksmuide and turned north. Within a couple of minutes, Mack signalled EA in sight and pointed downwards. Five two-seater Rolands were heading east below us. We dived to the attack.

Alex, I have no idea who those Huns were, but we had our hands full. They were all over us with their two-seaters! After a mad twisting fight lasting about five minutes, I suddenly found myself alone with four of the Rolands taking turns at me. I was still getting used to the Pup and to the lack of a gunlayer behind me. I was spending as much time looking backwards as forwards, and I had a devil of a time keeping track of enemy aircraft. I fired some ineffective bursts at the odd plane that dashed past me, but it was all I could do to avoid a collision or a stall.

Finally I saw a chance to dash for home. And didn�t the four Huns follow! Twice I had to turn and fight them, and both times I took more damage than I caused. A flight of Albatros scouts even passed overhead and for a brief horrible moment I thought they were going to join the party, but they headed east like good little Huns. Finally I crossed our balloon lines, the four Rolands just out of range behind me. Our Archie opened up on them, hitting one of the rotters. The others turned home at last and I landed at one of our forward fields for a pee and a drink -- in that order.

At four in the morning, the wind and snow outside our cabin awoke me, and I smiled to think that operations would be cancelled. But less than five minutes later, the steward came in to rouse me. Four of us were ordered out in the midst of a winter storm to shoot down a Hun observation balloon that was irritating the generals.

We had not even reached our lines when the flight leader, Mack, waggled his wings and pointed at four Halberstadt scouts about a thousand feet below and a half-mile off our starboard quarter. The Halberstadt is outclassed by the Pup and we attacked confidently. Again I found it hard to calm down and concentrate in a single-seat scout. I am too twitchy, looking around either too much or not enough. Once, a Hun even got behind me and put some machine gun bullets through my port planes. In the middle of the dance, two of the EA collided, both falling in flames, and I had to fly through a shower of burning aircraft parts!

I disengaged, climbed, and sorted myself out mentally. Then I saw two of the Huns breaking for home, and a lone Pup giving up the chase. The Huns were a little lower, so I applied full throttle and closed in on the rearmost Halberstadt in a shallow dive. He must have been asleep, because I quickly got right behind him, no more than 20 yards away. I opened fire and think I hit the pilot instantly. I kept firing in short bursts. They taught us at Eastchurch to say "son of a #%&*$#" with each burst -- that's about five rounds. After about eight seconds, the Halberstadt banked and slipped away to starboard, then went straight down. He crashed into a frozen beetroot field and exploded. I have made the claim and think this one should go through quickly. FSL Matt Colton, who was in the last pursuing Pup, says he saw the explosion.

Well, kid, I�ve finished the carbonnade and am moving on to the Calvados and a lovely tart � the pastry kind. If any of those Temperance hussies back home tell you to avoid the demon drink, tell them that you have it on good authority that Calvados improves the brain, sweetens the breath, and makes you irresistible to the opposite sex. Oh sorry, I�m wrong. It�s promotion to Admiral that does all those things.

Kick the cat for me,

Cam



"I opened fire and think I hit the pilot instantly."

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Wudwasp -- love the photos! It's scary to see that the Vee-strutters are starting to arrive.

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 1
Excellent! Gripping storytelling, Raine! Great to see Cam learning the ropes as a scout, and getting victories.

H


System: AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 4.2 GHz, MSI INSPIRE GeForce RTX 5070Ti, 16GB GDDR7 PCI Express 5.0 Graphics Card, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64G RAM, Dell triple 27",TrackIR5, HyperX Cloud 7.1 wireless headset, HF-8 haptic seat, Thrustmaster HOTAS.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Cam has his Pup and is learnibg the ropes. Great read! In fact I too am learning...from the historically reasearched content thumbsup


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
O
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
Boys, I'm back in town! (And so glad to be back!)
I'll try to catch up with everything with my morning coffee tomorrow.
I'm glad that you carried on while I was on leave.


Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,377
Likes: 3
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,377
Likes: 3
Olham...Olham????....hmmmm who is that?


make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
Page 176 of 442 1 2 … 174 175 176 177 178 … 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,379 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1