|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 3,095
XBL: sSnakeyes Senior Member
|
|
XBL: sSnakeyes Senior Member
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 3,095 |
Seriously? You have to edit a bin file to set the zeroing distances for rifles with optics? I can appreciate the flexibility that this customization adds for a savvy player, but I doubt that a lot of players will bother with it. I'm surprised that BIS would not add some zeroing distances rather than none at all. The default assault rifle that I'm spawning into the game with probably has a max range of 300 meters. 100, 200, 300 meters would have worked fine for zeroing settings. Anyway, I'm just getting into playing/creating missions in the editor with this sim now. Having bought it on release day, I thought BIS needed a bit more time to flesh it out and the mod community to add to it. I just noticed that the zeroing did not work last night. I checked with Google and most of the players think that it's broken. I'm off to look for some software now that will unpack/repack bin files. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,891
Arma3 guy! Senior Member
|
|
Arma3 guy! Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,891 |
zeroing DOES work on the rifles that have it, but its mostly the sniper rifles for the default weapons, and lets face it, there the guns your gonna use it on. BI have also done it so that ironsights are zerod at 100m, the eotech type scopes are at 200m and scopes are are 300m, even the little red dot above the scopes are at a different zero to the main scope, and thats all automatic which is kinda cool 
SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626
All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 572
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 572 |
As Meat said, the feature is there for certain weapons. If they're not changable it's because they aren't easily adjustable in real life.
[ CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.7gHz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP | GPU: OCUK GTX 980 Reference | OS: Win10 ] [ H/W: LG 34UC97 | QPAD Mk-80 | Razer Deathadder | Logitech G27 + Nixim Mod | Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudders | TIR5 | Rift CV1 ]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 850
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 850 |
As Meat said, the feature is there for certain weapons. If they're not changable it's because they aren't easily adjustable in real life. Which is funny, 'cos most of the ArmA3 weapons don't exsist in real life 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666 |
As Meat said, the feature is there for certain weapons. If they're not changable it's because they aren't easily adjustable in real life. Which is funny, 'cos most of the ArmA3 weapons don't exsist in real life The optics do though. And they're correct. The ones you can't zero easily in game are the ones that don't have quick-adjustable zeroing IRL - the holosights and the telescopic sights with bullet drop compensators (those little ladders in the reticule with numbers next to the rungs). You don't adjust those sights in combat, you adjust them on the range with a screwdriver. And in the case of the sights with the DBCs, you're supposed to use the different ranges on the reticule to aim at at those ranges, you're not meant to adjust the zero.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 572
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 572 |
As Meat said, the feature is there for certain weapons. If they're not changable it's because they aren't easily adjustable in real life. Which is funny, 'cos most of the ArmA3 weapons don't exsist in real life They work within the confines of reality, however :P
[ CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.7gHz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP | GPU: OCUK GTX 980 Reference | OS: Win10 ] [ H/W: LG 34UC97 | QPAD Mk-80 | Razer Deathadder | Logitech G27 + Nixim Mod | Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudders | TIR5 | Rift CV1 ]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700 |
Arma 3 weapons, while not real weapons, are either based 1-1 on real ones or extremely plausible, so that's not really an excuse.
I'd wait for the marksmanship DLC that's under development, I'm really hoping for basic stuff like weather readers, MOA/Mildot reticles and adjustments, bipods and/or supported shooting, etc.
Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds. Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 3,095
XBL: sSnakeyes Senior Member
|
|
XBL: sSnakeyes Senior Member
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 3,095 |
I discovered that the zeroing does work on a sniper rifle that I was using last night. So that was a pleasant surprise, but I prefer that it zero down to 100 meters if I need it for close work before changing weapons. Okay, I can use the BDC ladder for the optics that do not have zeroing available. The default load out assault rifle is fixed at 300 meters. It makes things a little clumsy because the BDC ladder is a non factor at close range. I'll just need to aim low for a center mass hit. Thanks for your comments. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't overlooking something in the game mechanics.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700 |
300 is somewhat close to 250, which is a 50 yard zero's trajectory after it drops, so it kinda makes sense as the baseline, but not really.
Zeroing and ranging is a little gamey and goofy in Arma. I also die a little inside every time I swap out one optic for another and it's dead-nuts magically zeroed for that rifle.
Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds. Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,461 Likes: 8
Me, just me. Member
|
|
Me, just me. Member
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,461 Likes: 8 |
As Meat said, the feature is there for certain weapons. If they're not changable it's because they aren't easily adjustable in real life. Which is funny, 'cos most of the ArmA3 weapons don't exsist in real life The optics do though. And they're correct. The ones you can't zero easily in game are the ones that don't have quick-adjustable zeroing IRL - the holosights and the telescopic sights with bullet drop compensators (those little ladders in the reticule with numbers next to the rungs). You don't adjust those sights in combat, you adjust them on the range with a screwdriver. And in the case of the sights with the DBCs, you're supposed to use the different ranges on the reticule to aim at at those ranges, you're not meant to adjust the zero. Yeah which I've never understood with RH's ACOG, there's a "180m" or so initial zero and then a 300m zero, which I tended to just remove on my ACOGs, zero it for 300m with a BDC, which turned out pretty well, and my Aimpoints have a fixed zero of 300m, which is again, real life as opposed to having two zero steps or more for an optic. Sniper scopes yes, but combat optics as said, no you zero for a set range and then work with a BDC or just guesstimate sometimes with optics that don't have a BDC.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
|
|
|