SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Just a 'heads up' to you computer guys.
I just had to take my lap top in to the shop, the HD was almost full.
But I just run Win7Pro, and have very little in my Doc file.
I don't use this little lap top for gaming. Just Email and the WEB.
Couldn't figure it out, thought it was either a virus or a failed HD, so I took it to the shop, my local ISP.

They looked it over, and found that Kaspersky was keeping 'all' the logs on file, every time I scanned.
And I scanned it almost every day.
It was taking up 420GB's on my 500 GB Hard drive! It was full.

Then the tech went into the back room, where they keep their computers, because they also used Kaspersky on some of them, and found some of their computers had well over 500GB's of log files on them!

Deleted them all, and changed the settings on mine to no longer keep a record of the scans.

Just in the event someone is having the same problem, and has Kaspersky, thought I'd mention it.

I probably should have said something here, but I've tapped Skatezilla too many times already biggrin
And I figured it was a virus replicating itself, so I took it to the service techs...which I am NOT.

Got it back with only a half GB of space being used.
Probably most of it is Win7pro.

I'm sure someone here could have saved me the $35 if I'd asked....so I'm offering, in the event someone else experiences the same problem.... wink


Last edited by Murphy; 10/07/14 09:44 PM.

"Murphy's Law"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248
U
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot
U Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248
lol for $35 you could plug in a 32GB USB stick and increase storage eightfold biggrin

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Yeah, but it'd still be logging until it reached that 32GB stick wink
Best to find the problem IMHO.
It took only 4 months to reach 450 GB's.
That's not going to give you long, even with a stick.

Edit;

oops....I mean 500GB's.

My HD is 500GB's, not 5!

I missed some zero's.

I'll add them to the original post....so I don't look like a noob...lol...


"Murphy's Law"
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 542
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 542
Thanks for the heads-up. I use Kaspersky and I'm quite happy with it.

I'll have to check what my settings are and then try and figure out how to prevent it from keeping a record of scans.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Wow, thanks for the report. I've seen some large log files, 100MB or so. But nothing like that!


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
It depends on what your settings are, the 'tech' told me.
If you check 'enable logging'...it will.
And it won't take long to reach 500GB's I'll tell ya!
It only took me 4 months.

Nothing wrong with the program, just the 'programmer'....lol.....
Well, actually 'nobody' would expect that.
So I thought I'd mention it.

The files are accessible, here;

C:Program files/Kasperskey/logs

Check that, and make sure there isn't a lot of space being taken up.
If it is, change your options in the Kaspersky panel, and delete the large logging files.

Last edited by Murphy; 10/07/14 10:23 PM.

"Murphy's Law"
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
newbie
Veteran
newbie
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
Holy crap. biggrin funny the things you find.


My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships


Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Go to "support" at the bottom left of your Kaspersky main window, and disable tracing/traces/whatever it's called in English.


Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 536
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 536
Look for and download a program called "WinDirStat" it will scan your drives and graphically depict your largest files/folders. This helps me often find out where all my drive space has gone...very valuable tool. That way you can avoid a trip to the pc shop.


CPU: 3.8 ghz 3930K, Nvidia 980 TI, 3D-vision, 16gb DDR3-2133 Memory, 120GB SSD, 240gb SSD, 2x1TB SATA HD, 27" ASUS 2ms LCD. Corsair Mechanical KB, Razer Death Adder,Win 10 64 bit.
also:
Alienware M11x R2
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
Kasperski Lap folder is 181 Megs.
Reports and Quarantine settings set for "store reports no longer than MONTH"

Good?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
Programmers who implement log features WITHOUT CLEAR WARNING that run by default "to the end of the HD space" should have their testicles removed...

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Originally Posted By: Sim
Kasperski Lap folder is 181 Megs.
Reports and Quarantine settings set for "store reports no longer than MONTH"

Good?


I would guess yes, certainly.
Mine was set to store all the logs.
The Tech changed it.


"Murphy's Law"
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Originally Posted By: Gunslinger5577
Look for and download a program called "WinDirStat" it will scan your drives and graphically depict your largest files/folders. This helps me often find out where all my drive space has gone...very valuable tool. That way you can avoid a trip to the pc shop.


Thanks Gunslinger smile

Yeah that would certainly have helped me avoid a trip, and saved some cash.


"Murphy's Law"
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Programmers who implement log features WITHOUT CLEAR WARNING that run by default "to the end of the HD space" should have their testicles removed...


Well, my fault.
I should not have had it 'save all logs', but I figured....how large can a simple .txt file be?
I found out.....500 GB's in 4 months.

Astounding....... rolleyes


"Murphy's Law"
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786
H
I Fought Diablo
Veteran
I Fought Diablo
Veteran
H Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786
I use Norton 360 for 6 months now, so far good results


"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Well Hag, I have no problems with Kaspersky, never got a virus, but blocked several.
You just have to be 'informed' as to how it works, and I was a little lax.
I actually have only had 2 problems since I've been online, over 20 years, and both have originated from the Virus Protection Programs!
The last one was a virus in the McAfee update!
An irate employee stuck it in the updates, and gave everyone who updated a virus.
Then I went for years without one, just using MicroSofts program.
I heard it was not so good a couple years ago, so I tried Kaspersky. Figured might as well get the hackers to protect my computer, most come from Russia anyway....lol....
Then this, but it's not a virus, just a user error. My not paying attention enough. My fault.

But I just read a review that some American company was rated as being number one now.
Seems to go that way, once a company makes a good reputation, they slack off and collect the cash.

Might be time to change.

I may have to tap Skatezilla again....I hate to go to the well too often, but IMHO he's very 'UP' on this stuff.
He helped me put my gaming box together, and one of the memory sticks I bought was bad, he found it right away for me.
I've read his posts. IMHO he's about the best around. But....I hate keep bugging him.
I wonder what he thinks.
Probably the same as most techies.....no VP program...do it yourself.... wink
But that's cause they know how....me, I'm in the dark.





"Murphy's Law"

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,588 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1