SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
C
6079 Smith
Member
6079 Smith
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
Originally Posted By: Peally
As Panz stated earlier, I'd rather live somewhere where we can be stupid at will (and this is not anywhere even remotely near the major stupid things people do everyday) as opposed to a nanny state.


Stupidity recognizes neither borders nor the law. All are free to be stupid at will.

The restaurant owner is free to act as he sees fit. And those who might comment on his course of action, I believe, are free to make those comments.


Question everything!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
Indeed (to a degree, stupidity is often regulated after all). However, I would recommend anyone offended buy a jar of chill pills from their local grocer, as they may soon have a heart attack if the "offense meter" is set this low and they're browsing the internet.

IMHO, being legitimately angry or outraged at this sort of thing is equally as stupid as the participants.


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 402
S
Forum Scout
Member
Forum Scout
Member
S Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 402
Woah dude! It's a competition thing for chrissake. It's like eating the basket of suicide hot wings and getting your picture on the "Wall of Flame."

Having said that though, I've been there and saw some poor lout try to eat that steak and I have say I probably would never make the attempt. That's a big honking piece of meat.

OP: You should really set up some kind of "Crusade/Save the world" schedule so we can all coordinate and wear the same t-shirt or ribbon or wtf ever...

...tempest in a teapot for sure.


"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

I5-2500K
Corsair H80 Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Diamond Radeon HD5870
1TB HDD
Corsair HX750w
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 905
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 905
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying
Originally Posted By: Peally
As Panz stated earlier, I'd rather live somewhere where we can be stupid at will (and this is not anywhere even remotely near the major stupid things people do everyday) as opposed to a nanny state.


Stupidity recognizes neither borders nor the law. All are free to be stupid at will.

The restaurant owner is free to act as he sees fit. And those who might comment on his course of action, I believe, are free to make those comments.


Of course, just because you feel free to make a comment doesn't add any validity to said comment. The restaurant owner used the challenge as advertising. I doubt he made much if any money on people taking up the challenge. Bet they did make money on people ordering the steak just to see how big it really was. So hardly foolish, ignorant, or anything else on his part. The woman who accepted the challenge surely didn't eat the steak for enjoyment, at least not from viewing her doing so. But there are people who take pride in setting records, no matter how spurious you may individually believe them to be. Guiness has a whole book full of 'em.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
C
6079 Smith
Member
6079 Smith
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
Originally Posted By: Peally
Indeed (to a degree, stupidity is often regulated after all).


That`s assuming the person seeks permission to be stupid.

Most, I believe, take the Nike approach and "Just do it!"

Originally Posted By: Peally
However, I would recommend anyone offended buy a jar of chill pills from their local grocer, as they may soon have a heart attack if the "offense meter" is set this low and they're browsing the internet.

IMHO, being legitimately angry or outraged at this sort of thing is equally as stupid as the participants.


For my part I am neither angry nor outraged. I simply thought the argument that the food could have been put to better use was a valid one to make.


Question everything!
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying

For my part I am neither angry nor outraged. I simply thought the argument that the food could have been put to better use was a valid one to make.



But why stop there? You could make the argument that instead of folks like us spending thousands per person on gaming pc's and games�we should be donating that money to feed hungry people. It's just a silly argument as just about any money spent on our own entertainment or personal desires could be better spent on helping others.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
C
6079 Smith
Member
6079 Smith
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
Originally Posted By: Snake_Pliskinn

Of course, just because you feel free to make a comment doesn't add any validity to said comment.


And just because a person feels free to commit an act does not add any validity to said act either.

The comment, and the act, are open to discussion.


Question everything!
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
C
6079 Smith
Member
6079 Smith
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
Originally Posted By: Force10

It's just a silly argument as just about any money spent on our own entertainment or personal desires could be better spent on helping others.



The more I read that the better I feel. smile


Question everything!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,160
C
Military Advisor - USAF
Member
Military Advisor - USAF
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,160
I bet she blew that toilet up!!!


i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard


Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Originally Posted By: Cali
I bet she blew that toilet up!!!


When one eats that much red meat, one will be constipated for weeks and most of that red meat stays in your colon and intestines for the rest of your life, undigested.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,126
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,126
I've seen lotsa po welfare people eating their share and more of McWhatever food. I guess their excess would be better served feeding McWhatevers to other po poeple?


"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,690
F
Son of Birmingham
Member
Son of Birmingham
Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,690
To continue the feed the poor argument. There are thousands of acres of farm land in the US growing corn to PUT IN OUR FN FUEL. Maybe we could take a look at that before we worry about a dozen or more steaks from one steak house in Texas.

I will agree that this country has an issue with excess. We eat to excess, we smoke to excess, we drink to excess, we do drugs to excess, we worry about other peoples choices to excess, we force our views on others to excess, excess, excess, excess...

I have to agree with Ice though. This is disgusting. What is the point in gluttony if you can't enjoy each and every bite.


MWO callsign Feetwet
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
Freedoms a b*tch biggrin

It sure beats the alternative of outlawing big gulps.


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Peally
It sure beats the alternative of outlawing big gulps.
Big Gulps are considered WMD's in New York City.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
C
6079 Smith
Member
6079 Smith
Member
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,413
Originally Posted By: Feetwet

I will agree that this country has an issue with excess. We eat to excess, we smoke to excess, we drink to excess, we do drugs to excess, we worry about other peoples choices to excess, we force our views on others to excess, excess, excess, excess...


But what we often lack in excess, sometimes even in moderation, and sometimes at all, is empathy.


Question everything!
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409


"The unofficial record is held by a 500-pound Siberian Tiger, who ate the steak in 90 seconds.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Texan_Steak_Ranch

Kind of makes a 500 pound human seem small...

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Zamzow


"The unofficial record is held by a 500-pound Siberian Tiger, who ate the steak in 90 seconds.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Texan_Steak_Ranch

Kind of makes a 500 pound human seem small...
Yeah now that's what I call an unfair advantage. biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying

But what we often lack in excess, sometimes even in moderation, and sometimes at all, is empathy.



Oh my�is that Kumbaya I hear playing in the background? I sense a group hug coming soon...


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,690
F
Son of Birmingham
Member
Son of Birmingham
Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,690
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying
Originally Posted By: Feetwet

I will agree that this country has an issue with excess. We eat to excess, we smoke to excess, we drink to excess, we do drugs to excess, we worry about other peoples choices to excess, we force our views on others to excess, excess, excess, excess...


But what we often lack in excess, sometimes even in moderation, and sometimes at all, is empathy.


Empathy for who? The children...well yes who doesn't. It is appalling to see a child suffer. The problem for the child though isn't the person sitting in the Texas steakhouse eating the 72 ounce steak, its the person/persons they call mommy and daddy. I grew up some of these struggling neighborhoods. I watched people destroy themselves daily. Bad decisions followed by bad decision compounded by yet more bad decisions. I also witnessed people struggling day in day out trying to climb out. The problem, those people clawing tooth n nail to make a better life for themselves are rarely the ones with their hands out. Do I make donations, you bet you pretty little butt I do. But only in my local community, where I can more closely ensure the money, food, and toys make it to the people who need it and DESERVE it.

Respectfully,
S


MWO callsign Feetwet
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 158
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 158
I have just one thing to say about this:

"Get the Bucket"

Thanks to our British Cousins for making perfect sense of all this.

Clipper

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,079,431 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1