|
|
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 395
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 395 |
Thanks Hellshade.
Guys - No the Dot labels DISAPPEAR at the TAC range if set to do so. The setting in workshops is called "Dot labels MAX Range" If in flight you then change your TAC range, yes they vanish at the new range your TAC is set to. (Just a thought but if it doesn't maybe try setting it to Long Range then back to RAC Range to make sure it's setup).
Or if you set to "Max Range" they vanish at approx 20km (depending on weather/aircraft size etc) as per the workshop.
The other settings "Ident Labels Avg Distance (m)" in workshop dictate the progression from one label type to the next. I.e. when each label type switches to the next type. Full Labels -> ID labels (Se5a etc) -> "aircraft" -> DOT label.
So if you use Identy + Dots labels, then if you look in that section in Workshops the OBJ column is when "object labels" turn off (APPROX), that's when the DOT labels come on.
OBJ = the grey label that says "aircraft"
Hover mouse over the many of the settings or options for descriptions!
Seems complicated but not really.
Sorry, but I'm not getting the difference between DOT labels and "another type of DOT??" So, in workshop if I set the " Dot labels MAX Range" to match the TAC range that I use (which is 0.3NM) and set the " Ident Labels Avg Distance (m)" to "0.1". Then I turn on Labels+Dots in the game, what will be the maximum distance I can see the aircrafts as DOTS on my screen? I hope I'm making sense.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75 |
yann98. They will go to TAC range.
There is only 1 Dot. It's a label called DOT. That's it.
Note the Range settings only works with Indenty+Dots label mode. It currently doesn't work with Dots labels only.
If people like it we can implement the Range limits on Dots only mode.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 395
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 395 |
It currently doesn't work with Dots labels only. This is the part I wasn't getting. Now it makes sense. Thanks. BTW - I just received your newsletter - nice touch. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 44
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 44 |
Ah yes I was misunderstanding the changes. I would love the dots only range setting personally. It seems the AI can spot things better then I can so I'm trying to even the odds a bit. I'm am half blind so it's kind of realistic, but they would never let me in a plane in the first place. I generally don't like having labels on. In WW1 sims I find it pretty easy to tell friend from foe once they are in range. Especially when you throw in the awesome skin pack on top of it.
Last edited by Octavious; 01/25/14 03:07 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 663
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 663 |
8) Morane Top speed reduced.
Hooray! Now we can have a real Fokker Scourge. 
[email protected] GHZ 32 GB RAM RTX 3080 TI 12 GB VRAM 2 x 2 TB SSD WinWing Orion 2 Hotas TrackIR 5
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 144
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 144 |
yann98. They will go to TAC range.
There is only 1 Dot. It's a label called DOT. That's it.
Note the Range settings only works with Indenty+Dots label mode. It currently doesn't work with Dots labels only.
If people like it we can implement the Range limits on Dots only mode. Yes please- the only label I would like to use is the "dots" setting, no identity or activity. If you could make those also dependent upon TAC range that would be great.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,397
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,397 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 44
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 44 |
Just so it's clear what I was hoping for: I'd love to be able to set a MAX setting so that dots don't appear past that distance. For example I just did a mission and I could see enemy dots 7KM away landing. I'd love to be able to set it so that the dots turn off at say 4KM entirely so that I don't have super long range vision. Just trying to even the odds as if I have dots off, by the time I see the enemy I'm already in a bad spot.
If that's not feasible it's not a huge deal, but I think some other people would like that as well.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 676
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 676 |
Just so it's clear what I was hoping for: I'd love to be able to set a MAX setting so that dots don't appear past that distance. For example I just did a mission and I could see enemy dots 7KM away landing. I'd love to be able to set it so that the dots turn off at say 4KM entirely so that I don't have super long range vision. Just trying to even the odds as if I have dots off, by the time I see the enemy I'm already in a bad spot.
If that's not feasible it's not a huge deal, but I think some other people would like that as well. hmmm... Octavious why not try changing the maxrange of the TAC in this line in ui.xml, it could work: <TAC currRange_met="500" minRange_met="499" maxRange_met="8000" fontSize="VerySmall"/>
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 17
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,560 Likes: 17 |
Just so it's clear what I was hoping for: I'd love to be able to set a MAX setting so that dots don't appear past that distance. For example I just did a mission and I could see enemy dots 7KM away landing. I'd love to be able to set it so that the dots turn off at say 4KM entirely so that I don't have super long range vision. Just trying to even the odds as if I have dots off, by the time I see the enemy I'm already in a bad spot.
If that's not feasible it's not a huge deal, but I think some other people would like that as well. You do know that the dots are labels right and as such are an 'aid' not 'reality'? Why not turn labels off completely and just rely on the model low level lod for AC spotting? If folks like the Ident + Dots labels system we will apply it to Dot only labels as well. But NOTE: these are LABELS - not the aircraft model low lod - i.e not the 'dot' of the aircraft that you would see at a distance. And yes as Nibbio says you can also tweak your TAC max range - I might add that as a param in workshops in 1.15 Lets see how feedback goes on the Ident+Dots Label system controls first WM
OBD Software
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 44
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 44 |
Yup I want to be able to cheat a bit, and not a lot as my blind butt could use the help. Global Max label Distance setting would solve the problem for me. Again it's not a big deal I just would really love that. I could also be the only one.
Thanks again for this great sim! I've been playing it nonstop since I bought it.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 642
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 642 |
Thanks Hellshade.
* Note this only works with Indenty+Dots label mode. It currently doesn't work with Dots labels only.
If people like it we can implement on Dots only mode. *
I want to use Dots by themselves, but only for stuff that is between my current TAC range and maximum TAC range (4.4nm or maybe 5nm ?). I have a helluva time seeing anything in the game until they're right up on me but would like to just keep the TAC at a fairly short range so I still have to be aware and keep looking around for the Dots at the larger ranges (not too far though!). The text labels displayed over them takes away from my immersion too much. Dots are wonderful if we can keep them from showing them past the longest TAC range. Too much of a spoiler. Does that make sense?
Last edited by Nefaro; 01/25/14 04:16 PM.
(For Tech Reference) i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 317
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 317 |
Yes please I would also like a "dots" only max range setting of 4 to 5 n.m
Then I can go into my UI file and set a more grey colored dot instead of black and this would be perfect.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 77
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 77 |
Thanks OBD! Bawk Bawk! 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 266
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 266 |
Nice batch of changes. Looks like devs are asking for some opinions on a couple of things.
#1 If they should apply new max display range for the DOTS only label mode (right now its just Dots+Identity) - I would say yes, that seems to be what many are asking.
#2 Ability to change absolute TAC maximum range (beyond default 4.3nm)- Again, that would seem to be a very useful parameter to add to Workshop. Right now that can only be done by hand editing ini file.
I would like to make a suggestion for a third parameter in workshop:
#3 Customize dot label color and translucency in Workshop. Again, this can be hand edited but for those that are not comfortable tweaking config files, having it in Workshop would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Madmatt
Last edited by Madmatt; 01/25/14 07:49 PM.
I used to make computer games for a living so you didn't have to!
My Rig: CPU: i7 7700K o/c to 5Ghz GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL RGB DDR4 (3600MHz) OS: Win10 x64 Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB SSD's, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA SSD, 1 WD Passport 2TB USB HDD Display: ASUS 34" PG348Q, ASUS 27" VG278HE Thrustmaster A-10 Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crossfire Rudder Pedals, CH Pro Throttle TrackIR, Oculus Quest 2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 890
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 890 |
Nice batch of changes. Looks like devs are asking for some opinions on a couple of things.
#1 If they should apply new max display range for the DOTS only label mode (right now its just Dots+Identity) - I would say yes, that seems to be what many are asking.
#2 Ability to change TAC max range - Again, that would seem to be a very useful parameter to add to Workshop. Right now that can only be done by hand editing ini file.
I would like to make a suggestion for a third parameter in workshop:
#3 Customize dot label color and translucency in Workshop. Again, this can be hand edited but for those that are not comfortable tweaking config files, having it in Workshop would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Madmatt 2. Shift+Control+T
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 266
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 266 |
No Creaghorn, not that toggle. I mean the ability to extend the max TAC out past the 4.3nm range it has now or make the max a shorter distance.
I know how to select the different increments within that max range, but the Devs metioned about that tweaking the max range it extended could be something that they would add for future patches into the Workshop.
I'll change my post to better explain.
Madmatt
Last edited by Madmatt; 01/25/14 07:49 PM.
I used to make computer games for a living so you didn't have to!
My Rig: CPU: i7 7700K o/c to 5Ghz GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL RGB DDR4 (3600MHz) OS: Win10 x64 Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB SSD's, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA SSD, 1 WD Passport 2TB USB HDD Display: ASUS 34" PG348Q, ASUS 27" VG278HE Thrustmaster A-10 Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crossfire Rudder Pedals, CH Pro Throttle TrackIR, Oculus Quest 2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 395
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 395 |
but the Devs metioned about that tweaking the max range it extended could be something that they would add for future patches into the Workshop.
This is just my suggestion, so please don't fry me.....  Workshop seems to be getting a bit crowded and low on real estate. So, Devs can: 1) Create a separate page for each category, or 2) Instead of using radio buttons, sliders, pulleys, levers, etc... to fine tune the ini/xml/txt/... settings, why not just make a FAQ pictorial guide. Honestly, adjusting an ini setting is almost really like editing a word document. Just need to locate the correct file, locate the value to edit inside the file and save (after backing up, of course). With pictures, this can be made really easy and we won't need to wait for a patch.
Last edited by yaan98; 01/26/14 02:28 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474 Likes: 13
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474 Likes: 13 |
Good work, as usual 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75 |
We don't have enough hours in the day to do all things for every situation. Feel free to do cool help pictorial and I may include it in the WOFF FAQ.
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|