SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3754126 03/20/13 03:56 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,110
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,110
Okay, can anyone explain to me how on earth the same two torpedoes would fail literally 20 feet from impacting on a target no matter what? I've reloaded a save before firing my torpedo about five times in a row, I've tried magnetic and impact setting, I've tried maximizing the range in TDC, no matter waht they fail before impact.

Are torpedoes made to be duds the moment you leave port with them? Seriously?

Last edited by redpiano; 03/20/13 04:56 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Originally Posted By: redpiano
Are torpedoes made to be duds the moment you leave port with them? Seriously?


Well in the early stages of the war that's what really happened.
Have you turned off realistic (dud) torpedoes?

And are you saying every torpedo does it?

If you fail to get an answer here,I would head over to Subsim and ask there.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,110
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,110
Well what I did was save the game just before I launched my torpedoes, then I launched two wakeless torpedoes at a tanker, just before they hit the tanker both of them lose propulsion and sink.

I reload the save file, I repeat the process, same result. I did this probably five times, so I take this to mean that dud torpedoes are determined before they're fired.

About an hour later I attacked another oil tanker, again two torpedoes, this time it's the regular ones that leave a wake and just before they hit, again a tanker, they both sink probably about 20 yards from the target if that.

I have duds turned on but this is just ridiculous, what was the failure rates of real torpedoes cause four duds in one batch seems a bit excessive to me.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 179
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 179
Are you playing SH4 or SH5? If it's SH5 I can't help you much, I don't have that one. In SH4 if you have duds enabled and it's early in the war you should have some duds, but not all of them provided you're on target and not running them too deep. Come to think of it, I think in reality there was also a problem with early war torpedoes running deeper than set so possibly that is modeled in the game. Duds shouldn't stop short of the target and sink though.... they should just not explode when they hit. I don't usually follow my torpedoes visually to the target so I'm not sure if a modeled "dud" actually shows contact and then sinks or if it does what you described and sinks early. I guess that could be the "dud" behavior, but if so that's disappointing as it would be more realistic (and less confusing) if it actually made contact first. Also, I don't know if this is modeled accurately or not, but the magnetic exploders in real life were notoriously unreliable - I always set my torpedoes to contact only and depth around 12 feet unless I'm firing at a destroyer, which should be like 6 feet.

Are you running the game with mods? Have you tried the same situation (whichever version of the game you have) with no mods installed but with the same option settings? If you have a mod, or a combination of mods, that could be part of the problem. I've only run SH4 stock (with 1.4 patch), but I know from reading the forums over at Subsim that sometimes different mods don't play well together.


You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down on every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life. - Admiral Benson, Hot Shots
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,110
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,110
This is SH5 and yes I'm running a plethora of mods. I have since disabled dud torpedos in the options and it's still happening so either it's a bug or one of the mods is doing it.

I've noticed it always happens in pairs though, I've never fired a torpedo and oh it didn't hit, it's always that I fire two torpedoes, they go and then at the same point in the ocean both of them sink. Example: Playing earlier, fire two torpedoes at one target, one gets maybe 15-20 yards from the boat maybe more and one sinks, the other one is behind it and as soon a sit reaches the same point, it sinks. I have yet to have one torpedo fail and the other succeed. I do not understand how this could happen, they aren't exploding or anything. I guess it's possible that there's an invisible rock or some crap as this time I was in very shallow waters but I don't kn ow it's absurd.

Last edited by redpiano; 03/21/13 07:16 PM.
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,264
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,264
You're not engaging at max range are you?

-Jenrick


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,674 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1