SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3646631 09/19/12 02:19 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
New to Rise of Flight,

Just wondering what all I need to know smile Been a rotor junky for years, but one of the first flight games I EVER touched in my life was Sierra Studios' "The Red Baron"

I had no idea there was a quality WW1 flight sim out there, now I feel ashamed for not knowing....

I'm downloading the Free to Play version right now, is there a difference if I buy it somewhere? How much $ is it going to cost me to get current with what other people are playing ?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 138
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 138
Welcome to ROF!

If you want a leg up with planes I suggest keeping an eye out for the ICE edition which sometimes goes on sale for as low as $10.00, but in the meantime try to enjoy the free edition as it is the complete game minus the extra flyable aircraft.

ROF is also updated constantly for free, but the aircraft and some other modifications are available for a very modest price, however I am not sure how 'current' other players are as you're not forced nor really need to buy everything unless you want use it or basically support the project further. Maybe look on the New Wings and Syndicate servers to get an idea which planes seem to be most common?

Oh and finally going back to sales, 777 sometimes have 50% off now and again, keep an eye on this and the main ROF forums for news.

Again, welcome to ROF!

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Thank you very much BlackPenguin,

I wasn't sure if there were certain maps/planes etc that you had to have in-order to be able to play with everyone else or what not, and while I'm still clocking away the minutes towards download completion I have a feeling I will gladly be spending some money towards this franchise, I had absolutely no idea there was a solid WW1 game out there, a few years ago I actually even tried to get Sierra's Red Baron to work on my computer just for the nastolgia, which I couldnt manage. So this is a huge boost of happiness ! lol

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 138
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioning maps, there is a channel map on the way and yes that will have to be purchased if you wish to use it, and we have been been given an early treat with the release of the Brandenburg W12 just a couple of days ago.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 40
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 40
Welcome to the addiction! salute
Great thing to see new ROFers around!
If you were missing WW1 planes, you gonna have a blast with ROF! ar15

Wow! I see you're from Irak wave2

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
At least three times a year, the ROF Store will discount prices by 50% (usually for a week). That is the time to invest, and remember you don't need them all at once (though most of us do eventually acquire everything).

The first thing to add at the sale is the ICE (Iron Cross Edition) Package of 7 extra fighters of the 1917-1918 period. After that, buy your favourites and buy some to balance the sides (because you won't always fly one side).

Other resellers like Amazon and FSPilotshop put ICE on sale at times as well.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 905
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 905
Welcome Ifly. Retired 152F here. You'll love the ROF aircraft...like OH-58C's but higher tech copter

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
If you plan to buy a lot of planes then you dont need to wait for the sale as the more planes you buy in a group the larger the discount.

Quote:
2 - 4 aircraft � 20%
5 - 7 aircraft � 25%
8 - 13 aircraft � 35%
14 - 18 aircraft � 40%
19 and more � 45%


So buy 19 get them all 45% off smile Not as good as 50% but still pretty good.

I would wait to buy any planes until you get your hands on an ice copy though. It goes on sale for 10 bucks frequently and if you buy a plane without upgrading your account to ICE you wont be able to input an ice code even if you do buy it later. (the game gives you a cd key once you buy a plane and you can only have one cd key)

I had 25+ ice keys but gave the last one out last week. I stock up on them when they go on sale. The last sale was a few weeks ago.

Here are some places to watch for sales
Amazon
Gamers Gate
fspilotshop

Last edited by Master; 09/19/12 03:08 PM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
Thank you all for the great info and welcome!

I am trying to figure out, should I get an ICE copy, or do a Demo upgrade? I was looking at the ultimate upgrade, but it says all craft up to Sep 2010. I'd imagine that leaves out quite a few other airframes yea?

I was mostly interested in German planes, but I'm guessing when you say you wont always fly one side that multiplayer has a team balance or some sort of function that pushes you into one side or the other? frown

I started a career this morning while I was waiting for my class to start today, I have to admit it was a LOT of fun, I think I am a bit too used to DCS and Janes titles at the moment though, It didn't take me long into my first dogfight to over stress the airframe and burn my poor Albatrosse into the ground LOL.

Quote:
Welcome Ifly. Retired 152F here. You'll love the ROF aircraft...like OH-58C's but higher tech

HAHAHAHAH.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
HAHAHA as an unrelated side note, the moment I proclaimed my new found love for this game I got an email for closed beta on World of Warplanes LMAO.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
There is no mp balancing. I fly pretty much only German online.

If you click the upgrades it will tell you which planes you get. The largest upgrade only covers like 1/2 of the planes.

Ultimate comes with: SPAD XIII, Fokker D.VII, Nieuport N.28, Albatros D.Va, Fokker DR. 1, Pfalz D.IIIa, S.E.5a, Sopwith Camel, Albatros D.II, Nieuport 17, Sopwith Dolphin, Albatros D.III, Pfalz D.XII, Fokker E.III, Airco DH.2, Nieuport 11, Fokker E.VIII, Fokker D.VIIF.

Which is 18 out of 32 planes (2 of which are preorder only atm and 2 of which are free in the demo)

If you can get a copy of ICE for 10 bucks you can knock out the SPAD XIII, Fokker D.VII, Nieuport N.28, Albatros D.Va, Fokker DR. 1, Pfalz D.IIIa, S.E.5a, Sopwith Camel and Nieuport 17

Leaving you with the Albatros D.II, Sopwith Dolphin, Albatros D.III, Pfalz D.XII, Fokker E.III, Airco DH.2, Nieuport 11, Fokker E.VIII, Fokker D.VIIF. If you can pick those up for 50% off on the next sale it will cost you 33 + 10 for ice which will be half the price of the ultimate box upgrade.

I might be able to scrounge up an ice key. I have a friend I gave a key to who has not used it yet. I can probably pick up another ice key on the next sale. Let me look into it.

p.s. wowp is not very good lol (IMHO anyways)

Last edited by Master; 09/19/12 04:57 PM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
I have NO doubt its bad, considering the quality of world of tanks, i will be 100%on unsuprised when wowp is horrible as well

Thanks again for the insight on these, i think i have a grasp on it now. Frankly even being stuck with the one german plane im estatic to get out of class right now and get back to the front!!!!!!

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 457
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 457
I know the feeling! I spend almost all of my free time, when i'm alone anyways, playing this sim and it still isnt enough! Honestly, of all the games I have ever played, this is the absolute best and most fun. Visually stunning, accurate...increasingly so with every update, immersive, basically unparalleled attention to detail, and when coupled with Pat Wilson's campaign generator you end up with what is very likely the best flight sim/game of all time. But the best part about it is that just when you think that it probably cant get any better, it does. Enjoy IFly...and welcome to the RoF community!


"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 19
It absolutely is hands down one of the most fun things I've done on a computer in atleast a decade! I could not stop thinking about getting back to my career all day! Thank god my classes are over now and I can shoot up my addiction!!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Also, I saw there is an "Unofficial Rise of Flight" TS3 server, is this something alot of players use or do they use their own?

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 398
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 398
Welcome to RoF! I'm a fellow addict BTW. Another thing to consider when buying planes if you are using the offline career a lot is to buy for a specific squadron or side so that you can play the career through most of the war. Example: Germany -- if you get the Alb D.II, Alb D.III and Fok D.VII you will be able to play most fighter campaigns from Oct 1916 to Nov, 1918. Another example: France: get the N.11, N.17 & Spad S.VII and you can fly fighter careers from start to finish...Or you can be like me and own most of the planes. You can also enter Gunsmith86's gift registry on the official Rise of Flight forums and possibly get free crates smile.

Cheers and welcome,

Fafnir_6

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
Most people use private TS servers but most of the popular online servers have their own public TS server you can access as well.

Last edited by Master; 09/20/12 03:22 PM.
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,194
H
Hotshot
Hotshot
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,194
I just got a new computer (my last computer was assembled in 2004, so a bit long in the tooth). Finally got to try this out. Wow! Very impressed! I was able to actually shoot some things down, surprisingly to me, guess all the time in Il-2 helped a bit.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
Plane sale is on again btw.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
There is a ROF Store sale happening right now, just in case you didn't see the announcement...

For $10, you can get the ICE package (with a bucnch of important fighters) to upgrade the Demo.
For $40, you can choose the ultra demo upgrade package, with more aircraft.
Individual aircraft and field mods (better instruments) are available at half-price now, so do the math/s and compare...

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,361
L
Senior Member
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,361
FWIW, ICE and the additional aircraft bought in the sale was 'the last time' a better deal than Ultra (in the sale also). Feel free to double check the numbers, but I'd assume that was still the case.

Plus you get the option to pick and choose, perhaps adding one of the more recent types instead of 1 (or 2 depending on costs) of the older/simpler/less attractive types to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,271 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1