SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3559863 04/20/12 06:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,807
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,807
It seems the promised patch is broken- don't know if this means it will be fixed soon or if it will be another 6 months to a year. They say they are going back to beginning.


Intel i5 2500K CPU @4.0,Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 MB (turbo) GTX 1060 6G, 16G DDR3, Windows 10 Home 64 bit- "N�or bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Murph #3559866 04/20/12 07:02 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
Originally Posted By: Murph
They say they are going back to beginning.


What beginning?

Murph #3559869 04/20/12 07:06 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 263
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 263
There was a lot of speculating,bantering and arguing on the IC forum,but they locked the post yesterday I think!
Why?

Murph #3559873 04/20/12 07:08 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
I hope it's only back to the beginning of the industrial revolution, not the beginning of man's use of tools. Sticks and stones may not be that helpful.

Murph #3559875 04/20/12 07:09 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,818
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,818
Going back to the beginning? i thought they said compiling a new version? maybe a week?

Murph #3559876 04/20/12 07:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,807
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,807
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31264
Maybe I miss read? They will start to compile a new version at the beginning of next week. No estimate as to how long that will take. Compiling the last one has taken since last fall.

Last edited by Murph; 04/20/12 07:14 PM.

Intel i5 2500K CPU @4.0,Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 MB (turbo) GTX 1060 6G, 16G DDR3, Windows 10 Home 64 bit- "N�or bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
Murph #3559878 04/20/12 07:15 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
I could not be bothered to read the 11 pages again, but I see the answer in the first sentence

'I have to tell you is very bad news - the current beta version of the patch didn't pass internal test and was sent back for revision. We plan to assemble the new version only at the beginning of the next week.' - BlackSix

So it's the beginning of the week, not industrial revolution. I'm glad


Murph #3559916 04/20/12 08:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 605
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 605
But they are beginning to compile a new version. So back to 10/2011 again?

Murph #3559920 04/20/12 08:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
If compile means rewrites and completing features in the game then maybe. I don't think compile means this however

Murph #3559975 04/20/12 09:55 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,024
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,024
They've probably compiled and tested fifty or more versions of the graphic/performance patch in the last few months. I wouldn't be too worried just yet, it just means rewriting a small portion of the latest version of the patch in a way that they hope will fix the latest bug/bugs.

Last edited by Chivas; 04/20/12 09:56 PM.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Murph #3559977 04/20/12 09:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
'Compile' in this context almost certainly means 'run a compiler'. A compiler is a computer program that takes the source code and assets and produces binary files that run. The programmers edit the source code (C++/C#) and these get fed into the compiler that then produces the .exe's and libraries that go to make up a 'build'.

Ref 4 here http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/compile

Murph #3559988 04/20/12 10:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,818
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,818
Any idea how long it takes on average to "run a compiler" frog?
Though i guess they have to fix it first.

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 04/20/12 10:32 PM.
Murph #3559997 04/20/12 10:45 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
The compiles don't take long with decent hardware and a 'pipeline' that's automated a fair bit (convert image formats, pre-process a bunch of stuff) - say 20 minutes for a decent sized game. A few years back 'overnight builds' used be the norm, but tools/hardware tend to be quicker now. The trick is usually making the changes and getting everyone coordinated etc. (oh - you left my tweak in, you should take that out etc)

With most things in programming, it's the thinking part that's hard, as the computers are just really quick at either doing stuff right or wrong - it's the fleshy thing in-front of the keyboard that's usually the bottleneck. smile

Murph #3560045 04/21/12 12:18 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
That's interesting information, I see why they call you Fearless

Murph #3560054 04/21/12 12:26 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
newbie
Veteran
newbie
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
I dont know why theu just didnt throw it out there and let us play with it. Say its another couple of weeks and they know it is flawed, see what we can find. If it is simply terrible we can roll it back so no big deal. Maybe the big crushing secret is in there and they dont want us to see it yet ? A couple of thousand beta testers is surely better than their resources yeh ?


My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships


Murph #3560062 04/21/12 12:40 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
Jeeza, don't put thoughts of 'crushing secrets' in my brain I'm delicate enough wink

FearlessFrog #3560080 04/21/12 01:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

With most things in programming, it's the thinking part that's hard, as the computers are just really quick at either doing stuff right or wrong - it's the fleshy thing in-front of the keyboard that's usually the bottleneck. smile


While what Fearless says is true. You do know there's porn on the internet. Should keep ya busy while they sort it out.

Murph #3560081 04/21/12 01:16 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,685
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,685
I have a hunch it's the gear shift in the new drivable jeep that keeps grinding away and is holding up the entire works. Once they've settled on a keyboard assignment that effectively double declutches the new beta will be issued. You heard it here first, folks! exitstageleft


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
bisher #3560233 04/21/12 11:45 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,396
V
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,396
Originally Posted By: bisher
Sticks and stones may not be that helpful.


They might not be of much use to the programmers trying to re-compile the patch, but I do believe they could be useful to some angry, fed-up community members to "re-compile" the programmers biggrin I mean, right now it's like 1C is saying Jehovah every Friday...

Cheers

Nico


"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
Murph #3561022 04/22/12 08:48 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Quote:
A couple of thousand beta testers is surely better than their resources yeh ?


Wait, wait, wait - you mean there is a release version of this sim?


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,079,157 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1