SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3526583 02/26/12 08:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
S
Jack of all trades
Member
Jack of all trades
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
Been working on this one for a few days.
coming along nicely.




Airfix 1:72 SU-27

Staffan


I've been behind before and still managed to loose
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Squid_DK #3526612 02/26/12 09:08 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
Looking nice! I assume you're painting with an airbrush?

How did you find the Airfix kit? The couple I've built have not been very pleasant (lots of gaps, resizing needed to fit properly, and so on). Just curious how your experience compares to mine (and some co-workers who are also not airfix fans).

Squid_DK #3526614 02/26/12 09:14 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
S
Jack of all trades
Member
Jack of all trades
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
The kit is a nightmare, the ones designing it surely had stocks in sanding paper production or are Phil Flory.
with a lot of love and a big hammer it can go together ok (Sanding on this one was mild compared to the Trumpy 1:144 USS Seawolf nothing fit on that one masts and antennas are not made for the curved surface on the sail and the hull is misaligned... alot)

Staffan


I've been behind before and still managed to loose
Squid_DK #3526618 02/26/12 09:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
Haha
I think my choice to stay away from Airfix will continue for the time being. I'm now on a Revell 1/72 Tornado, and it is very pleasant.

From the photos I wouldn't know that the kit was bad, though! Definitely nice work.

Squid_DK #3526637 02/26/12 10:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 132
A lot of the old Airfix stuff wasn't very good (big gaps, horrible details etc.), but since Hornby took over I've found that the quality of their kits has generally improved. I did an old A-10 Thunderbolt and it was terrible, but I got a new Bf-110G last year and I thought it was a very nice kit to build.


"Fair fights are for suckers" - The Mighty Jingles
Dakka dakka dakka dakka!
Squid_DK #3526638 02/26/12 10:00 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
S
Jack of all trades
Member
Jack of all trades
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
Lotta love will help... Airfix have their moments, and as a joke... the blue on the model is just filler!!, but still the nightmare of them all... the Hase F-14 is still in my stash... considering getting Eduards newly released -27 lots of etch goodies.

How is that Revell Tornado comming along?

Last edited by Squid_DK; 02/26/12 10:01 PM.

I've been behind before and still managed to loose
Squid_DK #3527113 02/27/12 03:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
The Revell Tornado is coming along well. Slowly, because I don't find all that much time to work on it, but no major issues. I'll post a WiP thread on it in a bit, that will also inspire me to work more on it. Smile2

Squid_DK #3527132 02/27/12 04:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
S
Jack of all trades
Member
Jack of all trades
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
Will I have heard alot of good stuff about the newer Airfix kits, so much so that I am actiually contemplating getting their Lightning F.2A/F6, and those -110's are beautiful kits.

Looking forward to seeing those shots FlyingToaster.

Update, nothing done on the -27 but my USS Seawolf have been sanded (So much that I feared I had cut it from a 1:144 kit to a 1:700 kit, the only thing missing on the instruction sheet is hte insertion of all the spaces you have to fill in. Mr Surfacer is slapped on and the first coat of blackgrey is done on the lower hull /note you can paint it non-fouling red but that only aplies to the alpha and beta cruises, later the boat was covered with anechoic tiles which is simulated around the torpedo tubes so a no brainer)

Staffan


I've been behind before and still managed to loose

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,674 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1