SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 102 of 176 1 2 … 100 101 102 103 104 … 175 176
jazjar #3523232 02/21/12 07:10 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,665
H
Senior Member
Senior Member
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,665
What officially happened to the Shilka?

Systems currently simulated are too complex to be operated by terrorists.

I would really like to avoid the SAMSIM to be called a "Terrorist Training Tool", and the Shilka is only requiring few people to shot a plane...
... also its not a SAM.

grunt


Hpasp
Free SAM Simulator, "Realistic to the Switch"

(U-2 over Sverdlovsk, B-52's over Hanoi, F-4 Phantoms over the Sinai, F-16's and the F-117A Stealth bomber over the Balkans.)
http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Book from the author - Soviet Nuclear Weapons in Hungary 1961-1991
https://sites.google.com/view/nuclear-weapons-in-hungary/

thumbsup
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Hpasp #3523307 02/21/12 10:50 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Why SR-71 shown in AAR like 24.1 or 24.2 km, on plotting board 24.00 km and in 3D AAR - 24.0 km???

I do not understand the question.


1.Do a Linebacker scenario with SR-71.
2. During engagement, check what is written on ploatong board for a height (I bet it is 240 - 24.0 km) thumbsup
3. After shooting switch it off, see in current (2D) AAR what height was recorded in the moment of first launch (I bet it is 24.1 or 24.2 km) thumbsup
4. Choose SR-71 track in Google Earth (3D AAR), roll it from the begining to the end and see the height, that was displayed (I bet it is 24.0 km). thumbsup
I could post pictures if you want, but after 6-7 hours, and don't want to take that privilige from Max2012 wink
Why come such difference?


P.S. I forgot what height gauge shows, but think it's not so important. I should check those against B-52's, but it's a bit messy on the board, so I think I won't do that check...

Hpasp #3523414 02/21/12 03:18 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 481
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 481
Shilka is not air defense system

I understand it perfectly.

Can be done safely if the C-25 "Berkut" it has long been removed.

Last edited by max2012; 02/21/12 03:18 PM.
Hpasp #3523415 02/21/12 03:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 481
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 481

You can also correct the errors below.

Hpasp #3523485 02/21/12 04:59 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 19
V
Junior Member
Junior Member
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 19
I'd love to see MIM-14B Nike Hercules. It would great be to learn Western SAM system. Besides, the manuals for this system are available on various websites, launch videos for sounds are also available. You can also find people who used to work on it. If you need pictures maybe SF-88 museum can help you?

@wasfa - why do you consider this system a joke? Because it had illuminated buttons instead of two-way switches? Something that some cockpits designed 40 years later have been criticized to be lacking? Or because it had an instrument showing how many missiles there were left?

Last edited by Vulture; 02/21/12 06:41 PM.
Vulture #3523505 02/21/12 05:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,665
H
Senior Member
Senior Member
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,665
I would certainly not consider it as a joke, with W31 boosted fission warhead, a 4 miles (7.5km) miss is considered 100% kill.

Red stripe means 40kt...
behindcouch


Last edited by Hpasp; 02/21/12 05:24 PM.

Hpasp
Free SAM Simulator, "Realistic to the Switch"

(U-2 over Sverdlovsk, B-52's over Hanoi, F-4 Phantoms over the Sinai, F-16's and the F-117A Stealth bomber over the Balkans.)
http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Book from the author - Soviet Nuclear Weapons in Hungary 1961-1991
https://sites.google.com/view/nuclear-weapons-in-hungary/

thumbsup
Hpasp #3523557 02/21/12 06:56 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 203
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 203
It would be very interesting to learn the U. S. system after the Soviet ones, to compare the design philosophy and solutions, as well as systems' efficiency. Been familiar with aircraft of about the same period, I must say that U. S. are a way ahead in these terms. I wonder which combat situations might be simulated for Nike-Hercules, since the system, as far as I know, never fired in anger. Nevertheless, it would be a great addition.

P. S. The very idea of nuclear-tipped SAM missile would look totally ridiculous today, but then both U. S. and Soviets had them. I wonder what kind of use was projected for them - as a "last resort" weapon, capable to destroy an enemy bomber, carrying nukes, at all and any costs? Or to destroy a whole pack of aircraft with one shot? But aircraft carrying nuclear weapons never flew in packs, they were "lone wolves"...

P. P. S. I wonder how SAM's radars and other electronics would feel after a nuclear detonation not so far away - it's a vacuum tube technology, but still - electromagnetic pulse would be very strong, let alone other effects.

Hpasp #3523561 02/21/12 07:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
It looks like system "memorized" target speed and path, and adjust missiles to the target, even when not tracked on distance...
Quote:
That is a bug, and I fixed it when you asked.
The fix will be in next release.

Hope didn't use the model from 923.1 version, because there was a bug there too... wink

Did you see HARM, or they hit you from behind?
Quote:
Yes, HARM is visible on SNR and target acquisition radars also


They are able to atack side lobes, right? (In the SIM, I mean...)

Hpasp #3523568 02/21/12 07:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
I would really like to avoid the SAMSIM to be called a "Terrorist Training Tool", and the Shilka is only requiring few people to shot a plane...

What a strange idea... Did you believe that cannot be found an ex-Quadafy soldier, to teach them??? C'mon! biggrin
And it's a bit space consuming to atach "Shilka" on your suicidal vest...

I believe that on SA-3 "Vozvrat" button didn't work

Last edited by piston79; 02/21/12 07:43 PM.
Hpasp #3523569 02/21/12 07:11 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Quick question from someone just starting out.

All right, I have become more or less proficient with shooting down non-jammed targets. Today, I tried shooting down my first jammed target in the training range.

Note: this was the first "moving target" that I have shot at while jammed.
Click to reveal.. (After action report)
Asuluk training ground.

Practice target:
LA-17 simulating F-86 Sabre

SA-75M Dvina


00:15, Practice target LA-17 simulating F-86 Sabre launched

56:58, V-750VU 11DU Missile launched on Channel-1
Target distance: 29km
Target azimuth: 65�
Target elevation: 15�
Target altitude: 7.7km
SNR mode: 110km
Missile guidance method: T/T (Three Point)


57:33, V-750VU 11DU Missile launched on Channel-2
Target distance: 20km
Target azimuth: 61�
Target elevation: 19�
Target altitude: 6.8km
SNR mode: 55km
Missile guidance method: T/T (Three Point)


57:50, Missile exploded on Channel-1
Practice target LA-17 simulating F-86 Sabre killed by SAM. (miss distance: 16m)

Total, SNR On Air Time: 3min 11sec


I did not let the simulation play out the second missile hit, as the jamming went off and the velocity of the target (now un-jammed) started to drop off.

Now to my question...

While estimating the range of the target (by using the handy table) I found that I could be off by a significant amount (5-10 km range) and still hit the target if it was within my maximum range. So am I correct in saying that the range selection is only used for finding the launch envelope? So then the proximity charge on the rocket itself takes care of finding the correct time to explode, correct?

Sorry to bother you guys with such an basic question biggrin

Last edited by CooLDoG; 02/21/12 07:13 PM.
Hpasp #3523603 02/21/12 07:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
Can I?
While estimating the range of the target (by using the handy table) I found that I could be off by a significant amount (5-10 km range) and still hit the target if it was within my maximum range. So am I correct in saying that the range selection is only used for finding the launch envelope? So then the proximity charge on the rocket itself takes care of finding the correct time to explode, correct?

I believe that radiofuse is set to "11 sec", right? That's mean that 11 seconds after launch, the fuse is armed, and when detects an object in his range, it explodes. His transmiting and detecting antenas are pointed in a way, which provides better kill probability in head-on approach. That's it...

Click to reveal..
P.S. This is from S-75M Volkhov, but the principal is the same...

Hpasp #3523616 02/21/12 08:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Right, that's what I thought. But the missile will continue along its flight path until it reaches maximum range or detects a target and subsequently explodes, correct?

CooLDoG #3523632 02/21/12 08:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
Yep... thumbsup

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,841
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,841
Originally Posted By: Lonewolf357
P. P. S. I wonder how SAM's radars and other electronics would feel after a nuclear detonation not so far away - it's a vacuum tube technology, but still - electromagnetic pulse would be very strong, let alone other effects.


If I'm not mistaken Vacuum Tube technology is basically immune to electromagnetic pulse (as opposed to Transistor and Integrated Circuit tecnologies which are very vulnerable to electromagnetic pulse).

Hpasp #3523635 02/21/12 08:49 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
Tonight, my lucky night!
My best agains "Hellbird"... :
Click to reveal..
13:45 19th of December, 1972.
SR-71 bomb damage assessment flight number one.

SA-75M Dvina


35:11, V-750VMVK 11DMVK Missile launched on Channel-1
Target distance: 76km
Target azimuth: 181�
Target elevation: 18�
Target altitude: 24,2km
SNR mode: 110km
Missile guidance method: K (Half Lead Elevated By Constans)


35:18, V-750VMVK 11DMVK Missile launched on Channel-2
Target distance: 76km
Target azimuth: 181�
Target elevation: 20�
Target altitude: 26,1km
SNR mode: 110km
Missile guidance method: K (Half Lead Elevated By Constans)


35:26, V-750VMVK 11DMVK Missile launched on Channel-3
Target distance: 76km
Target azimuth: 180�
Target elevation: 22�
Target altitude: 28,9km
SNR mode: 55km
Missile guidance method: K (Half Lead Elevated By Constans)


36:05, Missile exploded on Channel-1
SR-71 Habu killed by SAM. (miss distance: 21m)


And Ploating board:
Click to reveal..
ready

piston79 #3523639 02/21/12 08:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 481
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 481
My question is how it could bring down the Dvina.

Why is the method K to use?

I understand at a distance of 76 km

Last edited by max2012; 02/21/12 08:57 PM.
Hpasp #3523641 02/21/12 08:58 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
ready
Indeed.

EDIT: Max, I was just about to ask that. I would have tried 3T myself.

Last edited by CooLDoG; 02/21/12 08:59 PM.
Hpasp #3523660 02/21/12 09:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,046
Page 190 of the forum... wink Good night!

Hpasp #3523699 02/21/12 10:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
That's why I will end up having to read the whole thread!

max2012 #3523867 02/22/12 02:50 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 123
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 123
Originally Posted By: max2012
The S-300 while it is impossible, because it has not yet been removed from service in Hungary!

max2012
Are you sure that Hungarian army have any S-300 systems fielded ?
I don't think so !
You are confusing between S-300 and 2K12 KUB-M3 (SA-6) (old Kvadrat if you want!),

Originally Posted By: Hpasp
2K12 KUB-M3 (SA-6) could be done, after removed from service in Hungary, also realistic to the switch.




Click to reveal.. ( take a look)





If you need more info., take a look here

Originally Posted By: max2012

If now C-300 and C-400 were retired, they were immediately made, are included in the simulator!

Do you think "it's an automated operation!", and it do that . transformer .by it self ? . screwy
if you didn't know, it need a lot off . reading to be done !

Page 102 of 176 1 2 … 100 101 102 103 104 … 175 176

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,886 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1