SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
I have read a number of posts that observed that AI planes were boltering to excess, sometimes virtually all of them, on carrier landings. I had to replace my PC, and of course the newone, although not the fastest available, was faster than what I replaced. I got the "bolter" command far more often.

Out of a hunch, I turned off the software controlled turbo button. Before I fly JF18 I now open several MS Word files along with the internet. I am not sure that it really made logical sense to do these things, but the result is that I now get much fewer bolters. I had thought that doing something like this would probably not have the hoped for effect. I used to do the same on the pc I replaced and it seemed to work then, also, but it not a dual core, but just a very fast pentium. Is this just a delusion, or am I observing a real effect?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
Wait.. are you experiencing frequent bolters or the AI?

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
The AI bolters. I have no problem landing on the carrier. Of course, it doe not really matter so much whether the AI lands in most missions, but I just happen to like to watch all the AI planes land...it is great fun when friends and family take an interest in watching the carrier landings.

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
I dunno then, my AI planes usually land on the first pass most of the time.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 771
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 771
I experience the same problem after upgrading where now the AI bolts continously, where they almost never did before. I tested with a CPU slowdown utility (CPU killer I think) to see if it made any difference, and it did. I actually waited until an AI plane was on finals, alt-tabbed and lowered my CPU to ~60%, and the AI trapped perfectly each time. Whenever I ran at normal speed they bolted.

So it is definitely a CPU thing.

/C


Pentium 4 3,6GHz
2 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon
SB Live
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
Home of Clark
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
Thanks, Clark,

I did not think it was just me. I believe there were some discussions in the past about this problem. By loading up my desktop with stuff, it seemed to help, as I said. I guess I should try CPU Killer if its easily available for Win XP.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
R
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
If you are using TSH, have you changed the priority of the F18.exe within the manager? I believe that is suppose to help too.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
I get the excessive bolters with Win XP regardless of the priority selected.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,131
Likes: 1
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,131
Likes: 1
I believe we first found out about this when we were finishing up the patch. Actually the first reports might have been related to bolters with the Player's ACLS since at that point it's basically the same thing. Trying to replicate it was a quite a problem since you needed to have a really good framerate and our machines were pretty weak (though I think people assumed otherwise). Nothing I saw indicated what was causing the problem. I could get it to happen from time to time but not reliably enough to help with debugging. I think I also had to not be looking in any direction that would give me real information since that would lower the framerate making the problem not happen. Just to get something to try and help if AI's started missing I'd start shifting their glide path closer to the back of the boat for each miss, though capping it so things couldn't get ridiculous. It seemed to help but didn't really make any sense. Having a better framerate should have made thing better not worse since finer adjustments could be made.

The only other thought I've had since then is that it might be related to the hook skip code. We have code that simulates the chance for a hook skip since it's something that can happen in real life. Actually I guess there could be something with the code which checks for the hook just catching a wire as well. I didn't have anything to do with this code so at this point anything I'd say would just be a guess and I wouldn't want a guess to be converted to a "fact" over time. Also if the issue was there then I would think it would show up for all landings not just when the AI is involved.

My apologies for not being able to figure out what the problem was.

Elf

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
I have a self-designed mission regarding landings. One of the planes is the fancy F-14 mod, and it always bolters the first time. I have experimented with this mission over time and once one plane catches a wire, most of the rest of them will catch a wire and land as well. Strange.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
R
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
Thanks for the reply Elf. The info on the Hook Skip code should help us at TSH start finding clue within what we have.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
I join you in thanking Scott.

On another issue, that of installing both TSH 4 and 3.06, I noticed that you had 3.06 in your JSGME list of programs in a screenshot from another thread. I am wary of making a mistake in trying to install both. I have 3.06 installed, but would like to keep it as a separate program within the JSGME install. I am not all that skilled in computer technology. Can you give a step-by-step recommendation as to how to do this?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can give.

Timc

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
R
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
Check the thread you created smile

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 315
I did see the post on the thread I created, but I did not understand it. Did you do what he recommended? It seemed like a different apporach to me, but I am not much with real OS technicalities

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
R
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
Leatherneck Sim Artist
Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,032
I was alking about my post. You can't install 3.06 and 4.02 at the same time.

IAM's approach is having an installation, copy it to another folder so you have 2 installs.

Then using a registry file, that when clicked on, will change the install paths that are written in the OS's registry.

It's the same concept as the world swapper. All it is doing is changing the registry to point to the Iraq folder when selected.

My approach is rather simple and only needs one installation. smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,663
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,663
Hi guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread but has anyone found a solution to this - AI not being able to land on the carrier at all?

The only 2 ways I can get AI aircraft to land on the carrier is by:

1) Accelerating time to 2x or higher (page up key)

or

2) Having a framerate of 30 or below - I did this by using FRAPS to record video and setting the record rate at 30 FPS.

I've tried CPU Killer with no luck...

It creates a much better atmosphere coming to land on a carrier already with some aircraft there on deck rather than a sterile plank with heaps of aircraft circling around it not being able to trap...

Last edited by mdwa; 12/17/15 08:10 AM.

mdwa
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 121
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 121
Originally Posted By: mdwa
It creates a much better atmosphere coming to land on a carrier already with some aircraft there on deck rather than a sterile plank with heaps of aircraft circling around it not being able to trap...


It sure does, even more so when the other aircraft on deck are your HUMAN squadron mates who have already landed, and those in the pattern are those waiting for you to trap.

How about a true-to-life Case I recovery? You're never going to do that with AI aircraft.


"Airplanes are interesting toys, but of no military value."
- Ferdinand Foch, Supreme Commander of Allied Forces, WWI

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,674 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1