SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 … 9 10
Ian_L #3434931 11/16/11 03:13 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
Those avionics are far from simple.

They're crappy. They're crappy old stuff that you had to do a lot of manual things with to get anything done - THAT is why you had a back-seater. They'd actually be /more/ complex. Not that the F-15/16/18 had a requirement for huge avionics automation, especially the radar, so that one pilot could operate it as compared to older aircraft.

Originally Posted By: Ian_L
What I'd hope for in terms of 'Legend' is more something along the lines of legendary aircraft that are still in active service (therefore who could logically be seen in scenarios in the DCS world), for example F-4, Mig-21... simpler avionics type of aircrafts that can be done faster than, say, an F-18 or an F-15.

Ian


--
44th VFW
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
I hate to put this to you this way, but please make 'some terrain like Nevada' and then come back and say that $20 for all that work is a rip-off. I quadruple dog-dare you.

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
What I dislike is the $20 Nevada terrian addon for two reasons. For one, $20 for some extra terrian is a rip off.


--
44th VFW
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 20
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 20
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
Those avionics are far from simple.

They're crappy.


Actually, you're quite right! I was thinking more along the lines of FC2 when I wrote that, vs DCS, where this 'crappiness' could have been fudged in the way it was modeled...

Oh well, does that mean we're stuck with props for legends?

Ian

Ian_L #3434952 11/16/11 03:53 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
Originally Posted By: Ian_L

Oh well, does that mean we're stuck with props for legends?


You never know, early jets aren't exactly easy to fly and fight in.

Whatever happens, you are guaranteed to have your hands full in a dogfight.

Nate

Nate #3435566 11/16/11 11:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
I'd like to see a terrain other than the Crimea. But I know it won't happen.

I've been flying the same skies since 1998.


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Nate #3435571 11/16/11 11:10 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
Um ... nevada?


--
44th VFW
Nate #3435603 11/16/11 11:56 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
Nevada's okay, but I was thinking more like Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan, etc.


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Nate #3435696 11/17/11 03:08 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
Now that a new terrain engine is coming, I would expect various other terrains to happen - either by ED or third parties. Many have tried and ended up stopping. Manchuria was in the works by an FC fan for example.

In any case, personally I think there could be more interesting theatres than Iraq/Afganistan - Pakistan maybe, Iran, Korea, perhaps somewhere in south Africa or say, around south America ... smile


--
44th VFW
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
N
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
Now that a new terrain engine is coming, I would expect various other terrains to happen - either by ED or third parties. Many have tried and ended up stopping. Manchuria was in the works by an FC fan for example.

In any case, personally I think there could be more interesting theatres than Iraq/Afganistan - Pakistan maybe, Iran, Korea, perhaps somewhere in south Africa or say, around south America ... smile


Ooh, South America or Africa would be great! My favorite campaigns in Falcon 3.0 with the expansions were the Panama/ Nicaragua, Pakistan/ Kashmir, and Kurile Islands theaters of operation.


" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,173
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,173
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
I hate to put this to you this way, but please make 'some terrain like Nevada' and then come back and say that $20 for all that work is a rip-off. I quadruple dog-dare you.

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
What I dislike is the $20 Nevada terrian addon for two reasons. For one, $20 for some extra terrian is a rip off.


Its a ripoff. The entire DCS games cost $60, terrian is not worth 33% of that. Sorry. smile

I'd paid $20 or so for some improvements over FC2 + some extra content (terrian). $20 for just terrian? No thanks. Especially if it is filled with the DRM system that ED products tend to have. I'd pay $5 maximum.

Nate #3436807 11/18/11 07:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
Depending on what "improvements" they are offering me, I don't mind shelling out another $20.

But it greatly depends on what I'm getting. I would like to see them implement simplified avionics that truly work, like F4AF's did, or Jane's F-15, for us casual players.


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
I'm still waiting for you to create terrain and come back and tell me it's a rip-off then. Until that time, I consider your opinion uneducated smile

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Its a ripoff. The entire DCS games cost $60, terrian is not worth 33% of that. Sorry. smile

I'd paid $20 or so for some improvements over FC2 + some extra content (terrian). $20 for just terrian? No thanks. Especially if it is filled with the DRM system that ED products tend to have. I'd pay $5 maximum.


--
44th VFW
Nate #3436991 11/18/11 11:20 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 186
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 186
I think most people forget that sims are a niche market, therefor higher prices are necessary since the costs of making these games are huge but the profits not that high.

PFunk #3438499 11/21/11 02:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
Originally Posted By: PFunk
Depending on what "improvements" they are offering me, I don't mind shelling out another $20.

But it greatly depends on what I'm getting. I would like to see them implement simplified avionics that truly work, like F4AF's did, or Jane's F-15, for us casual players.
I 100% agree but a more simplified flight model for me instead.The weapon systems are one of the best parts of the game for me.If they could appeal to casual players a little more,this game would be the battlefield of air combat games.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
Originally Posted By: bigdog4215
Originally Posted By: PFunk
Depending on what "improvements" they are offering me, I don't mind shelling out another $20.

But it greatly depends on what I'm getting. I would like to see them implement simplified avionics that truly work, like F4AF's did, or Jane's F-15, for us casual players.
I 100% agree but a more simplified flight model for me instead.The weapon systems are one of the best parts of the game for me.If they could appeal to casual players a little more,this game would be the battlefield of air combat games.


Think of how they could reach out to the Ace Combat crowd if they did that.


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
PFunk #3439065 11/22/11 03:12 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
Originally Posted By: PFunk
Originally Posted By: bigdog4215
Originally Posted By: PFunk
Depending on what "improvements" they are offering me, I don't mind shelling out another $20.

But it greatly depends on what I'm getting. I would like to see them implement simplified avionics that truly work, like F4AF's did, or Jane's F-15, for us casual players.
I 100% agree but a more simplified flight model for me instead.The weapon systems are one of the best parts of the game for me.If they could appeal to casual players a little more,this game would be the battlefield of air combat games.


Think of how they could reach out to the Ace Combat crowd if they did that.
I know ed is all about high fidelity but I don't see why they don't just try to attract both types of players casual and hardcore,they already have an arcade mode and sim mode in the game.I would also like the gameplay speed increased as well to add more intensity.I bet ed would really see a increase of revenue if they did this and the hardcore players would still have their mode.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
Originally Posted By: bigdog4215
I know ed is all about high fidelity but I don't see why they don't just try to attract both types of players casual and hardcore,


They do though - that's why the FC series is around.

Quote:
they already have an arcade mode and sim mode in the game.I would also like the gameplay speed increased as well to add more intensity.I bet ed would really see a increase of revenue if they did this and the hardcore players would still have their mode.


It isn't that simple. A study sim is a study sim, and bringing it down to FC level is not exactly easy or desirable in terms of programming - for now, I'll leave my comments at that.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 11/22/11 06:23 AM.

--
44th VFW
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 689
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 689
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
I'm still waiting for you to create terrain and come back and tell me it's a rip-off then. Until that time, I consider your opinion uneducated smile

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Its a ripoff. The entire DCS games cost $60, terrian is not worth 33% of that. Sorry. smile

I'd paid $20 or so for some improvements over FC2 + some extra content (terrian). $20 for just terrian? No thanks. Especially if it is filled with the DRM system that ED products tend to have. I'd pay $5 maximum.


It's even easier than that, just tell him to have a look what a good-quality, payware M$FS terrain can cost (anywhere from 40 to 130 Euros on Amazon, to provide an answer straight away). Sure, many of those add-ons will include more area than the Nevada map, but quite literally NONE of them comes with a new engine (so no, it's not just terrain) and neither do they add any new theatres that were not in the basic sim already - they simply increase detail. If anything, his comparison merely exposes once more how dirt cheap DCS aircraft modules really are for what you get in return. Arguably too cheap - it's not the $20 that's too much, it's the $60 which is too low.

I'd pay $20 just for the Caucasus theatre to get EDGE'd!

Nate #3439362 11/22/11 02:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,814
You guys crack me up. Whining about appealing to everybody. There are already flight "games" for the arcade crowd. If you speed up the gameplay you have arcade. Most people want at least SOME realism. I admit to not having time to spend on one sim, so extreme hardcore becomes a problem for me. But I appreciate the effort that goes into this "niche" market, and I'm a regular buyer. I don't even consider FC to be sim-lite. It certainly is not arcade.

Third Wire has plenty of excellent sim-lite titles for the modern air combat fighter jockey. Stop complaining about hardcore. Some people want nothing less.

Air Combat (and other console ported titles) = arcade
Third Wire titles = sim-lite
ED = hardcore (by comparison) with both study and survey sims

See? Something for everyone. You can't make one sim that appeals to both hardcore and casual. Third Wire's Strike Fighter series comes closest, but most hardcore peep find it TOO casual.

So pick your category (arcade, sim-lite/casual, or hardcore) and pick the sims in that category. Stop whining about sims in other categories and asking that they be "dumbed down" to suit you. DCS is too hardcore for me, but I don't complain about it. They shouldn't have to dumb it down for me. If I get frustrated, I can play one of the other titles. It's hard to master hardcore when you only have 20 - 30 minutes a day to play a sim (I play other games too). But I buy the hardcore stuff anyway, to support the industry.

When you try to manufacture products that don't alienate anyone, you inevitably wind up with something mediocre and bland. Look at Chevrolet. With the possible exception of the Corvette, which isn't intended as a mass market vehicle, is there anything blander than a Chevrolet? I'll take a polarizing design or product every time. You either love it just the way it is or hate it.

Forget trying to appeal to everybody.

Last edited by Plainsman; 11/22/11 03:11 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

Nate #3439505 11/22/11 07:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
Then why did ED toss in a game avionics and flight mode for every title they've made?

If what you say is true, then ED shouldn't have even bothered. Right?

Point is, they already have a game mode, I'd just like to see them tweak it a little.


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 … 9 10

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,080,026 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1