SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3407450 10/10/11 09:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,083
A
Senior Member
Senior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,083
Just bought WC 1 and 2 on GoG.com, and I have to say they're still fun after all these years! biggrin

I never got to play any of the Wing Commander games, so these are unknowns for me. Beat WC1 yesterday, starging on WC2. I really can't wait to try 3! Hopefully by then they'll have 4 up on there too.

Wish I'd gotten to try these in their heyday! I can clearly see why they're so dear to folks!

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

Aladar #3407490 10/10/11 10:13 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Phew, I saw your thread title and I thought this was going to be about the horrid movie with Freddy Prinze Jr.

I only played WC 3 and 4 but I enjoyed both of them immensely. Space combat done right!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Aladar #3407494 10/10/11 10:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
I can't remember what number it was, but I really liked Wing Commander: Prophecy. I think they had moved away from the fixed bitmap models and on to actual 3D models at that point, and it just looked and moved so much better.


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Aladar #3407663 10/11/11 01:59 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,636
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,636
Don't forget about Standoff.



WCS

Aladar #3407728 10/11/11 04:09 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
The big three space sim franchises for me during the 90's were Freespace, X-Wing/Tie Fighter and Wing Commander. The only good capital space ship sim I've played is "Klingon Academy". I surely do miss that genre.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Aladar #3407754 10/11/11 05:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Standoff is an awesome user mod... great graphics too!

As for WC1/2... I present a challenge to you that us really hardcore oldschoolers took back in the day when they first came out:

Never let your wingman break and attack with the sole objective of getting every single kill possible (and in WC 1, don't let the Ralari die >:) )

This means you must do it in WC 1, Secret Missions 1 and 2

then

WC 2, Secret Ops 1 and 2

Good luck! Oh, those Dralthi missions in Secret Ops 2... Hard as hell! Fun stuff though. I still play them.

WC 3 is super awesome, in fact, I just built a pure DOS machine with an AWE 32 and an oldschool dos joystick to play through it again on a CRT (w/ a fresnel lens for ghetto 3D).

Aladar #3407841 10/11/11 09:00 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 107
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 107
Quote:
WC 3 is super awesome, in fact, I just built a pure DOS machine with an AWE 32 and an oldschool dos joystick to play through it again on a CRT (w/ a fresnel lens for ghetto 3D).


Back in the 90's when I was choosing what next-gen console to get,I bought a playstation just to play this game.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Pinetree
Quote:
WC 3 is super awesome, in fact, I just built a pure DOS machine with an AWE 32 and an oldschool dos joystick to play through it again on a CRT (w/ a fresnel lens for ghetto 3D).


Back in the 90's when I was choosing what next-gen console to get,I bought a playstation just to play this game.
I had no idea there was a console version of Wing Commander 3.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Aladar #3408362 10/12/11 01:08 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Yup, there is. In fact, there is a 3DO version of it that is... "special." They changed a lot in it but it looks interesting at least. The PC version is better gameplay wise.

Aladar #3408647 10/12/11 01:50 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
I agree Prophecy looked and played the best. Unfortunately, it had the worst story, worst actors (only Wilson is there regularly, Hamill makes an extended cameo), and overall worst "feel" when you weren't in the cockpit blasting away.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Aladar #3408889 10/12/11 07:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Yeah, I don't remember the acting at all, which probably says something about it.

I didn't play the earlier ones, but only saw them at friend's houses. The graphics, while more colorful than vector stuff, just didn't move right to me. Even though X-Wing had simpler looking ships, I liked the gameplay a lot better than the first WCs, and to me Prophecy fixed that.


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,771
P
Oberkriegkaboomf�hrer
Hotshot
Oberkriegkaboomf�hrer
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 8,771
Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
...and in WC 1, don't let the Ralari die >:) ...


God, I still remember that mission....

pitchafit


"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

Aladar #3412050 10/17/11 04:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,083
A
Senior Member
Senior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,083
Yeah, I beat WC1 a few days ago, sure as hell didn't save that ship. But I lived with it, and I liked that I could continue the campaign having not succeeded in that mission. on WC2 now. smile

Aladar #3417978 10/25/11 12:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
One time, in a fit of frustration, I resorted to cheating like a #%&*$# during the Ralari mission. I used the hotkey that blew up enemy ships and managed to save the Ralari.

I smugly escorted the Ralari back to the Tiger's Claw and...

...

...

...received the mission failure briefing.

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to save the Ralari.


You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Aladar #3418536 10/26/11 01:13 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Well, you can save it but only if you skip the asteroids/minefield in-between (I forget which) and manually nav around the earlier waypoints on full burner (110000 clicks I believe) to the Ralari. It's kinda cheating but... kinda not.

Aladar #3418743 10/26/11 11:31 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,343
What!? Curse that autopilot feature! Curse it! cuss2


You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,939 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1