SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 88 of 205 1 2 … 86 87 88 89 90 … 204 205
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
Originally Posted By: Biggles07

Point being, you never know till you try. You don't like it? Thats Ok, as long as you listened. All music fans will give music a chance. Some are keepers, some you just say 'no thanks, not my cup of tea' but cheers anyway.


That's the only reason this thread exists! Play on.

btw Biggles, you kinda rubbed me the wrong way back when I posted some Coldplay (and I like them), but you turned me onto RadioHead. I wasn't a fan then, am now.

See, it's all good.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
I'm a huge Tull fan. If your not, please excuse the next few.






Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,122
T
resident pacifist (sic)
Member
resident pacifist (sic)
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,122
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
Originally Posted By: vonKhan
Reminds me of my father every time I listen. Cat Stevens is still singing.

Original:


New:


Amen VonKhan, honour thy Father and Mother....and Cat does that in a wonderful way. 'Yusuf Islam', I think his name is now. Yes, 'all Muslims are Evil and they are plotting your destruction'. Time was when Christians and Muslims actually lived together in 'relative' peace. Then Dogma and 'Humanity' intervened. Both are at root Abrahamic, you will find Moses 'Musu', Jesus 'Isa' and Abraham....'Ibrahim' in the Koran if you look....as Prophets of the Living God (as Monotheism would have it). That is, if you had bothered to look and educate yourself, and try to understand. That is the tragedy. What a load of #%&*$#. That is what happens in a 'Climate of Fear'. Stupid, easily frightened people get scared and frightened, very easily. Easier to herd. Less hassle.

Good stuff mate, Cheers.


I hear you - I'm muslim myself and all the hatred makes no sense to me. All human at the end of the day.


In that spirit, peace train:



I used to work for a living, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
Originally Posted By: vonKhan
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
[quote=vonKhan]Reminds me of my father every time I listen. Cat Stevens is still singing.

Original:


New:


Amen VonKhan, honour thy Father and Mother....and Cat does that in a wonderful way. 'Yusuf Islam', I think his name is now. Yes, 'all Muslims are Evil and they are plotting your destruction'. Time was when Christians and Muslims actually lived together in 'relative' peace. Then Dogma and 'Humanity' intervened. Both are at root Abrahamic, you will find Moses 'Musu', Jesus 'Isa' and Abraham....'Ibrahim' in the Koran if you look....as Prophets of the Living God (as Monotheism would have it). That is, if you had bothered to look and educate yourself, and try to understand. That is the tragedy. What a load of #%&*$#. That is what happens in a 'Climate of Fear'. Stupid, easily frightened people get scared and frightened, very easily. Easier to herd. Less hassle.

Good stuff mate, Cheers.


I hear you - I'm muslim myself and all the hatred makes no sense to me. All human at the end of the day.


In that spirit, peace train:

[/quot

RULE BRITANNIA


Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
I really like this guy - and the whole tribute to Capaldi is special.


Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
Originally Posted By: piper
I really like this guy - and the whole tribute to Capaldi is special.



So do I. And so say all 0f us


Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
V
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
Originally Posted By: Biggles07

Im back to being dead now. As per usual. Bah.


Heehee, me too. Always loved it when Jerry and the boys sang about the ladies. Here's a selection or two from a few shows I attended in the late eighties and early nineties. First up is several selections of an old favorite.

7/24/87 Oakland, CA

6/21/89 Mountain View, CA

3/22/90 Hamilton, Ontario

Always loved hearing Lucy...

3/24/93 Chapel Hill, NC

Oh, and Quinn, can't forget Quinn...

9/19/90 MSG New York, NY


It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobody�s left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
V
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
Brings back a flood of memories. It's odd and kind of cool how music can stir old memories. Over the past few months I've been slowly digging through my collection of bootleg recordings and concert memorabilia. Well, the other day I finally made it to the Grateful Dead box, knowing that I was in store for some more sweet memories of days past. The first tape I pulled out of the box was from Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin, July 17th 1989. This night was likely one of the best Dead shows I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few. Here's some video from the opening, and from the ending of the show.





The goodness continued, unabated, for another two nights. Many Dead fans felt that this night was the beginning of the end for the band, "Downhill From Here" they called it, which is the title of the DVD this video is pulled from. An apt name for the story I'm going to tell, at least for my friend, Jack; for me it was more of a major milestone in my life, a sort of "before the flood" thing.

It was a fun trip up to America's Jerryland that summer, I was there with my best friend, Jack. In hindsight, I was grateful (pardon pun) that I took this trip with Jack because he didn't live to see another July. Come this July 1st, he will have been gone for 21 years. It was basically because of knowing Jack that I developed such an avid interest in music, art, and food/cooking; the man was wildly talented in all three disciplines. After so many years, the scars from Jack's untimely passing have healed quite nicely; though they can still be painful from time to time. I am a better and more well rounded person for having known him, and a better person because of the many ways his death changed me and my outlook on life. The inscription on his tombstone is from "We Bid You Goodnight." "Lay down my dear brother, lay down and take your rest..."



It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobody�s left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
V
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
Also gotta post this tasty morsel, Eric Clapton with The Allman Brothers from a 2009 show at the Beacon Theater in New York.



It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobody�s left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
Originally Posted By: vault_dweller
Brings back a flood of memories. It's odd and kind of cool how music can stir old memories. Over the past few months I've been slowly digging through my collection of bootleg recordings and concert memorabilia. Well, the other day I finally made it to the Grateful Dead box, knowing that I was in store for some more sweet memories of days past. The first tape I pulled out of the box was from Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin, July 17th 1989. This night was likely one of the best Dead shows I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few. Here's some video from the opening, and from the ending of the show.





The goodness continued, unabated, for another two nights. Many Dead fans felt that this night was the beginning of the end for the band, "Downhill From Here" they called it, which is the title of the DVD this video is pulled from. An apt name for the story I'm going to tell, at least for my friend, Jack; for me it was more of a major marker in my life, a sort of "before the flood" thing.

It was a fun trip up to America's Jerryland that summer, I was there with my best friend, Jack. In hindsight, I was grateful (pardon pun) that I took this trip with Jack because he didn't live to see another July. Come this July 1st, he will have been gone for 21 years. It was basically because of knowing Jack that I developed such an avid interest in music, art, and food/cooking; the man was wildly talented in all three disciplines. After so many years, the scars from Jack's untimely passing have healed quite nicely; though they can still be painful from time to time. I am a better and more well rounded person for having known him, and a better person because of the many ways his death changed me and my outlook on life. The inscription on his tombstone is from "We Bid You Goodnight." "Lay down my dear brother, lay down and take your rest..."



Just.....this. *Nah, there is just summat in me eye.....Honest to Goodness.*

" "Lay down my dear brother, lay down and take your rest..."

I hear you, Brother....and you are not Alone.



Gather yee Rosebuds, while yee may.

His welfare is my Concern. Truth.

Last edited by Biggles07; 05/29/11 09:19 AM.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
Originally Posted By: vault_dweller
Also gotta post this tasty morsel, Eric Clapton with The Allman Brothers from a 2009 show at the Beacon Theater in New York.



Brilliant, vault dweller and thanks a bunch. You should come out of that Dungeon more often, you know. WinkNGrin

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,474
Musical SNIPER ATTACK!!!!

Nick Drake, with 'From the Morning'.

I guarantee you it is Beautiful




Very sad song coming up....But Beautiful nonetheless.



Just....Listen, man.....


Last edited by Biggles07; 05/30/11 11:06 AM.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
V
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
I'm back from the vault. cool

Last time I mentioned that many Dead fans thought the band went downhill after 1989. I don't necessarily feel that way. I liked the band that emerged after Brent Mydland's death, with Vinny Welnick & Bruce Hornsby on keyboard/piano...the sound was nice and fat. An example here with the guys playing "Deal," they are joined by Branford Marsalis.
9/10/91 MSG, New York


I've never been to see the current Dead lineup (my last Dead show was also Jerry Garcia's last), but I hear they are pretty awesome...I'll probably go see them some time, it's on my bucket list to do so. Here's a taste of "Loose Lucy."
7/23/04 St. Louis, MO


It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobody�s left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
I've been to a lot of shows, but never (unfortunately) saw the Dead.

Very cool hearing of your goings there Vault!

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
V
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
Here's a sad song from my hometown. This was right after Jack died, and this song was one of his favorites, a fitting tribute I thought. I still cry every time I see or hear this. sigh nope
7/6/90 OCS, Louisville, KY


The last year of his life, Jerry Garcia started occasionally playing one of my favorite Dylan songs. Two nice examples here, the second is from the last two shows he ever played.
3/18/95 The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA
7/8/95 Soldier Field, Chicago, IL




It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobody�s left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
Man, you've been all over watching them. True Dead.

I first got interested after reading "the electric koolaid acid test". Great book.

Play on man!

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
V
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
Wasteland Wanderer
Member
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,111
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
Brilliant, vault dweller and thanks a bunch. You should come out of that Dungeon more often, you know. WinkNGrin


Here's another tasty morsel from the vault, J.J. Cale & Clapton doing "After Midnight."


It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobody�s left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 18,549
I've posted this many times, but it's a great show of early Clapton. Winwood in there too.



Page 88 of 205 1 2 … 86 87 88 89 90 … 204 205

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,064 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1