SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tantalwz88 #3263128 04/07/11 07:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Goodbye mate..

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Trooper117 #3263129 04/07/11 07:02 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,169
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,169
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
I look at it like this.. while I haven't got a polished product, and the reasons for that I don't care about, and I don't care for all the conspiracy theories on why I haven't got a polished product because I can't do anything about it..
Whilst the game isn't living up to what its supposed to do, I'm still learning an awful lot getting my head around the full realism settings in flying the aircraft.. as someone who flew 'full real' in IL2 I realised very quickly that most people who did will now be on a very big learning curve with the new game.
Even with all the games faults, I am actualy 'learning something new' each day I practice in my spit and Hurri.. and its a pretty rewarding experience, and I'm enjoying it to boot.
I'm no blind fanboi who is defending the game no matter what, because I understand the flippin faults and want them rectified, but that doesn't mean I can't get alot of enjoyment out of the game as it stands..
Have I wasted my money?.. no, not yet, because I don't know if the game will be fixed.. Being an optimist, I hope it will be, but until then I'm learning new skills in the game and doing something useful with it..


You sir, with all due respect, are in an incredibly tiny minority. I, for one of the majority, am not able to enjoy a game that has to be played at a sub-par resolution, at considerably modest settings, on a high-spec rig, and still see low fps and stutters and lagging control-inputs, amongst many other issues, that turn the experience into a gaming trauma.


Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
WernerVoss #3263133 04/07/11 07:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
Originally Posted By: WernerVoss
This game needs to fail, and it needs to fail hugely. To send a message to both developers and publishers that the line has been finally crossed. They have pushed it and pushed it and then pushed it some more, and this final transgression is a push so far beyond the pale as to beggar belief.

I really wanted this patch to work, genuinely. I wanted to be able to come back here and post "Yes! More fps and fluid too! Now we can really do some work!" Not that we were obliged to, or should have to, but to see some small ray of hope and gut it out.

But to be told FPS would markedly improve, and the stutters would be gone, and then be told after nothing promised was forthcoming that "Oh, only older machines would have seen any benefit anyway" is breath-taking chicanery, on top of breath-taking chicanery, too far.

I say the game needs to fail, when that is now an absolute certainty. They had a week to provide a fix for the first level of many levels of issues and they have failed miserably. This isn't diamond code in the rough, just needing a polish, it's deeply flawed and un-fixable code that will never be put right. Somewhere, somehow, the writers went badly wrong. And without entirely writing the code absolutely critical requirements will not be provided. Multicore functionality, that cannot be bolted on after the event, it needed to have been incorporated right from the start. SLI, I suspect the same is true of that also. 64-bit .exe, to make proper use of system RAM, not even mentioned.

And those who predicted all these things, banned. For speaking the truth as it happens, though they were banned because they were perceived as 'trolls'. Now we know, with certainty, that they weren't. Though their motives cannot be definitely known, they spoke true none the less.

This isn't an experiential smear where the edges cannot be discerned, it is a clearly defined set of components that can be clearly analysed upon the basis of events that have now passed. It is laid out before us like a crystal-clear image. See that image for what it is and stop trying to focus upon it through a rose-coloured filter. This game is DOA.


Certainly some good points raised above. Where I differ is I do want this sim to succeed.
My tone is often rough when discussing the merits of how this game was released, and im my opinion there should be an apology issued by MG's or UBI or both for the way they have treated a loyal sim community.

We are not beta testers, we are paying customers who payed for a full product, not what we have now.

But underneath it all I do want this sim to succeed but I have serious doubts wether it can.


Bryan.

Tantalwz88 #3263134 04/07/11 07:05 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,231
H
Retired Flight Simmer
Member
Retired Flight Simmer
Member
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,231
As much as I would love to see this game become amazing, I find myself tending to side with the "trolls and the banned".

Anyway, my excitement for this patch is gone now, and I'll just wait for Steam to autoupdate with the live patch. I know it is beta, but how much is this actually going to change before going live? DIdn't they say it was going live on Friday? sigh


I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

WernerVoss #3263146 04/07/11 07:20 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Originally Posted By: WernerVoss
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
I look at it like this.. while I haven't got a polished product, and the reasons for that I don't care about, and I don't care for all the conspiracy theories on why I haven't got a polished product because I can't do anything about it..
Whilst the game isn't living up to what its supposed to do, I'm still learning an awful lot getting my head around the full realism settings in flying the aircraft.. as someone who flew 'full real' in IL2 I realised very quickly that most people who did will now be on a very big learning curve with the new game.
Even with all the games faults, I am actualy 'learning something new' each day I practice in my spit and Hurri.. and its a pretty rewarding experience, and I'm enjoying it to boot.
I'm no blind fanboi who is defending the game no matter what, because I understand the flippin faults and want them rectified, but that doesn't mean I can't get alot of enjoyment out of the game as it stands..
Have I wasted my money?.. no, not yet, because I don't know if the game will be fixed.. Being an optimist, I hope it will be, but until then I'm learning new skills in the game and doing something useful with it..


You sir, with all due respect, are in an incredibly tiny minority. I, for one of the majority, am not able to enjoy a game that has to be played at a sub-par resolution, at considerably modest settings, on a high-spec rig, and still see low fps and stutters and lagging control-inputs, amongst many other issues, that turn the experience into a gaming trauma.


'Gaming trauma'.. you make it sound like you are slowly bleeding to death, and if IC don't do anything about it you will die.. Jesus WV, have you heard yourself?
I'd say every single person who bought this game is mightily fed up that we aren't now having massive battles over the shores of England, but they aren't all 'demanding' that the game fails.. we all want it to work.. even if it takes a few months, we'll be happy that it will come right.. now why do you demand to see it fail and bring the company to book?

HogDriver #3263149 04/07/11 07:22 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 427
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 427
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
As much as I would love to see this game become amazing, I find myself tending to side with the "trolls and the banned".

Anyway, my excitement for this patch is gone now, and I'll just wait for Steam to autoupdate with the live patch. I know it is beta, but how much is this actually going to change before going live? DIdn't they say it was going live on Friday? sigh


I would love to see this game succeed and become amazing as well but after seeing the results of the latest beta patch I am less than optimistic. I will not flame the game in any way but my rig just doesnt gain any significant FPS increase after the patch and my GFX card is still running at over 90 degrees celcius while playing it. I just cant afford to bust my card beta testing a beta patch to an alpha coded level game.

I wish it the best in the future.


Asus sabertooth x79
I7 3930k @4.3
EVGA GTX TITAN SC
16 GB Corsair vengeance quad chanel 1866
Obsidian Series 800D ATX Gaming Case
Samsung 24.6" @1920x1080
Tantalwz88 #3263152 04/07/11 07:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
I couldn't have loads of bombers in IL2 FB for at least two or three years after release as my rig's got better.

The game is in beta state...we all know that...it will become a great sim....

I do wish we could have the cockpits\plane graphics and DM effects with say the Channel Map mod for IL2FB....that map is more than good enough....if they had kept the old terrain engine and concentrated on the planes\dm\cockpits and FM I'd have been more than happy....as it is it's a waiting game...

Also anyone who thinks the next couple of patches are going to give massive FPS boost are kidding themselves....it's a good 6 months to maybe even anothe ryear away before we will see big gains I reckon.

I'm not being overly dramatic like many here...this isn't a goodbye...etc etc....I will just enjoy the small dogfights over the channel and carry on playing IL246 with HSFX mod and the superb channel map and the several BOB campaigns...I wuill also enjoy watching COD get better and better through patches and as I upgrade my rig over time and I can increase those settings just like I did with IL2FB....

Last edited by Wodin; 04/07/11 07:31 PM.
Tantalwz88 #3263157 04/07/11 07:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 520
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 520
By comparison RoF was no peach when it was first released; it's greatly improved now, but still not perfect. The way I see it the cost of CoD doesn't even exceed the cost of a decent restaurant dinner with a bottle of wine with my wife, so I could give a flying f**k if it's not perfect.

Sick of looking at all the immature posts, conspiracy theories and speculation on this particular forum. You lot need to get outside a bit more. Take a long walk and enjoy the Spring air.

Will wait patiently. Peace Out.

WernerVoss #3263158 04/07/11 07:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
Originally Posted By: WernerVoss
And those who predicted all these things, banned. For speaking the truth as it happens,


this is so over the top and for me reflects well how serious we should take this bloke. Thanks for the laugh, but your over acting is a bit tiresome, on the other hand very entertaining smile

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
Originally Posted By: Stanford Tuck
By comparison RoF was no peach when it was first released; it's greatly improved now, but still not perfect. The way I see it the cost of CoD doesn't even exceed the cost of a decent restaurant dinner with a bottle of wine with my wife, so I could give a flying f**k if it's not perfect.

Sick of looking at all the immature posts, conspiracy theories and speculation on this particular forum. You lot need to get outside a bit more. Take a long walk and enjoy the Spring air.

Will wait patiently. Peace Out.


Here here.....even people buying it knowing it's in a bad way and then moaning about it once they get it!!!

Trooper117 #3263161 04/07/11 07:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,169
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,169
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117

'Gaming trauma'.. you make it sound like you are slowly bleeding to death, and if IC don't do anything about it you will die.. Jesus WV, have you heard yourself?
I'd say every single person who bought this game is mightily fed up that we aren't now having massive battles over the shores of England, but they aren't all 'demanding' that the game fails.. we all want it to work.. even if it takes a few months, we'll be happy that it will come right.. now why do you demand to see it fail and bring the company to book?


It has already failed. It is broken, that is beyond dispute, and given the nature of what we see now and 1C's inability to provide with the first patch what they said would be provided, it is clear it cannot and will not be fixed.

Yes, it is painful for many to get to grips with that reality, and while that reality is being gripped we will continue to see it being defended. By fewer, and less vocifirously, until the forum becomes quiet, the game is forgotten, and we all move on, bitter but wiser.

I never wanted it to fail, but I do want the devs and the publisher to suffer a comeback. That will be delivered as a certainty, in failed sales. And that fate is entirely and wholly deserved. We have been treated with utter contempt. We were not warned of the game's state; quite the opposite, all pre-release material led us to believe it would be a viable product. The only warning we did get was from the Russian purchasers, but that was disarmed with claims the epilepsy-filter was the cause of poor performance. That turned out to be totally false.

Those of you who remain unable to accept that reality will accept it eventually when the game finally proves to be un-fixable. And you will then regard this as a landmark moment, however trivial you consider it to be (it's "just a game" afterall), when an already over-extended line was flagrantly crossed.


Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
WernerVoss #3263169 04/07/11 07:37 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 290
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 290
Originally Posted By: WernerVoss


You sir, with all due respect, are in an incredibly tiny minority. I, for one of the majority,



Majority, minority? How do you, or anyone else know? you have numbers? The game has issues, no one disputes that, but there are a lot more people playing it, albeit at less then perfect levels, than i think you want to admit. This, like every other game forum is full of whiners and complainers. They are always the loudest and most outspoken. That doesn't make them a majority. They think it does, they tell us it does, but it doesn't. Look around, it is the same dozen or so guys that make, or take over almost every post in this forum. Good or bad. You are very close to them, but I do sense you see some potential here and i don;lt think your posts are always some rambling damnation of the game. (Some are close though wink )

Simple fact is, I, and most others are hoping to enjoy this game for years to come. A month or 2 to get it working decently is no big deal in the big picture. Argue all you want about if it was released too soon or not, but no one died, and no one kidnapped your first born child. But listen to some here and you'd think that was the case.

And don;t get me wrong, I am neither hater nor fanboy, its all just cheap entertainment to me. I enjoy it, and I'll miss it if it were gone, but it's not my life. I won't suffer untold hardship should this game not pan out, even if i lose 50 bucks. Nonetheless, I can understand some frustration by those that bought the game and it's not living up to their expectations. But don;t forget, that would still be the case even if the game was working perfectly. Some people just wont like it. I'll still buy the game on release day here in the States, and do whatever i can to play it, support it, and help the developers identify bugs. I'll also do what i can to help those that are having trouble. If it all goes to crap, then I'll move on. Buying pc games was, is, and always will be a risk. You wont like them all, some will not work well, others will provide only brief entertainment. If you or anyone is not prepared to take that risk, or if that risk causes financial hardship, then this is the wrong hobby for you.


And lets face it, even after a few months, when, God Willing, we have a game working at decent levels, we will still see posts about how terrible it is, how evil the makers are, how they ripped everyone off, and how the game is unplayable. And in everyone of those posts, they will claim its that way for the majority. There can be 1000's of people playing, yet someone will still be here telling us how it's unplayable for everyone. Look at any other game forum for examples.

Tantalwz88 #3263174 04/07/11 07:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
J
Duke of URL
Veteran
Duke of URL
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
I'm sitting here trying to think of a major game release more broken than Cliffs of Dover and I can't.

The state this, I hesitate to even call it a game, is in at release would be funny if I didn't want a new IL2 so badly.


Commence to Jigglin'
Trooper117 #3263185 04/07/11 07:43 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 482
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 482
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117


'Gaming trauma'.. you make it sound like you are slowly bleeding to death, and if IC don't do anything about it you will die.. Jesus WV, have you heard yourself?
I'd say every single person who bought this game is mightily fed up that we aren't now having massive battles over the shores of England, but they aren't all 'demanding' that the game fails.. we all want it to work.. even if it takes a few months, we'll be happy that it will come right.. now why do you demand to see it fail and bring the company to book?


That's because people like you and I are flight simulator enthusiasts and not 'gamers'. Wre're disapointed but patient because this is better than any alternative. The track record shows they are commited to developing and improving their simulators.

There were so many broken things about IL2 but everyone has forgotten, the online was unplayable sometimes because of exploits and bugs. Trim on a slider was one of them....people might remember this because of the humorous posts by RBJ....We had to patiently wait hoping that they would fix some of the terrible problems with IL2 between patches.


Formerly JG5_Emil
Tantalwz88 #3263190 04/07/11 07:47 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 109
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 109
Some small improvements for me. Micros stutters are gone. Just the occasional pause if flying over London, especially if I'm changing altitude and the LOD changes.
FPS improvement wasn't anything like what was claimed/expected, maybe 10% increase at best.

Still the micro stutters being gone is a pretty big plus in my book.

I can pretty much dog fight anywhere now though London is still probably best avoided.
I'll try upping the number of aircraft over the weekend or maybe even start the campaign.


Asus P6T Deluxe, i7 920@4ghz, H50 water cooler, 6Gb ddr3, X-Fi Fatality, 2x GTX580, 2x 120Gb SSD's + 2Tb HD's, 3x 27" 5760x1080,
TrackiR 5 + Pro Clip, Win7 64bit, 2x Thrustmaster MFD's, Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog #538

WernerVoss #3263208 04/07/11 08:02 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
B
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,180
Likes: 3
Originally Posted By: WernerVoss
Those of you who remain unable to accept that reality will accept it eventually when the game finally proves to be un-fixable. And you will then regard this as a landmark moment


Where in heaven's name do you get this stuff, sounds like a propoganda speech

Jeevz #3263236 04/07/11 08:28 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 601
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 601
Originally Posted By: Jeevz
I'm sitting here trying to think of a major game release more broken than Cliffs of Dover and I can't.

The state this, I hesitate to even call it a game, is in at release would be funny if I didn't want a new IL2 so badly.


I think WV, though a little bit theatrical at times (and I do admire a good performance) --- as in court room theater, is absolutely correct with his prescription.

This release is a kind of *** perpetrated on long waiting customers/fans of the Il-2 series. Though it was not intentional, that misses the larger point that it is *** nonetheless and damages the genre by putting off all but the most die-hard fans of WWII flight sims.

This is a business. And the message that must be delivered is market rejection. That is the only way to deter the continuation of SHV's and CloD's from becoming the defacto business model of developers and publishers looking to make a buck off the reputations of prior successes. Think of how Hollywood normally has a model where the 1st movies is a box office success, the sequel is so-so, and the third is just a joke. The same rationale may be taking place within the executive suite of Ubi. Milk the franchise until their is no goodwill left and move onto another market.

Now on the other hand I am finding this entire release debacle forum experience a fascinating study in the psychology of the commercial retail simulations market. And as a sometimes professional in this market I am finding this an extremely fertile ground for research popcorn


AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
Tantalwz88 #3263241 04/07/11 08:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
J
Duke of URL
Veteran
Duke of URL
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's deliberate ***, I think the publishers just got tired of financing broken software that was just spinning it's wheels and decided to shove it out the door and try to recoup at least some of their investement, it happens all the time in this industry.

Doesn't really matter what happened at the top though, the end result is we are stuck with a buggy, broken piece of trash that isn't worth the disc it's printed on. If I could get a refund I would but I can't so I just have to say goodbye to that $40 and hope they can fix the game but I personally don't believe it's in a state that can be fixed.


Commence to Jigglin'
Tantalwz88 #3263243 04/07/11 08:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 864
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 864
I just tried the beta patch myself and on my E8500 @3,8Ghz, 2x8800GT 512MB in SLI, 6GB of DDR2 RAM, Raptor 10'RPM HDD running at 1920x1080 with most stuff set to medium or off and no FSAA I think I got some improvement over water. It's still completely impossible to get an acceptable frame rate over land (which were where they made the improvements right?). I happened to press 'M' and then the mirror (Spitfire) disappeared, that must have increased the frame rate by at least 10. Finally managed to get a kill ... a condor!

For fun I turned everything up to very high and it was actually not a complete slide show (over water). It took a while for all the textures to load when I started up, but after that it was quite ok ..maybe 10 frames per second or so. I was a bit surprised actually.

-C-

Tantalwz88 #3263247 04/07/11 08:42 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,426
Loads of games released in bad states....just as bad as this one...however we have a team with a great pedigree for making patches and supporting their product...


I have a feeling that some on here the release of IL2 CoD was the biggest event in their lifetimes and the fact that it still requires alot of work was like the organiser of said event running over their Nan.

Charlie it's your res thats doing in the game for you....I can have higher settings than you at a lower res on a system below your spec and have 15 vs 15 over coastland witht he odd stutter....using res 1280x800...AAx2..the model\damage and visual effects on high the rest either medium or low...forsets off...with your specs you could go higher than me...

Last edited by Wodin; 04/07/11 08:46 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,013 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1