SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 216
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 216
Had the system for testing for a week and I did the best I could!

I am a non-native English speaker so I am sure you will find a lot of errors, my apologies for this. mycomputer

Here is the link for the review

http://www.hotas.gr/content/view/81/1/lang,en/

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
I see that I'm not the only one with Cougar handle paint problems! I sure hope the Warthog fares better there.

Overall, though, it's a nice review, and I find myself tempted to step up again...but I'll need a flawless, T.A.R.G.E.T.-compatible rudder pedal solution first, since TM/Guillemot clearly isn't going to support third-party products with it or bring out their own pedals any time soon. (I still have older titles that only see the first DirectInput ID.)

In the meantime, I can't help but wonder how the Warthog handle feels on a force-sensing Cougar stick base...

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 216
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 216
Thank you!

Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG

In the meantime, I can't help but wonder how the Warthog handle feels on a force-sensing Cougar stick base...


I have seen a post about it, someone try it but I can't remember where duh

Last edited by 335th_GRSwaty; 12/06/10 07:29 PM.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 62
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 62
Great review! I enjoyed it very much.


Life is simple: As you get older, your toys get bigger.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
I had my Warthog handle on an FCC Cougar for a bit. Works fine. I honestly prefer flying it on the Warthog base though.

I know the FSSB is superior to my first-gen FCC, and perhaps my FCC was just getting a bit worn out, but when it comes to precision flying, it's no contest.

Frazer will say it's "impossible" to fly lead with the Warthog...but given that way back in May I could fly Thunderbird-style formation rolls in the A-10 and F-15 while Ray kept the nosecone of his jet parked between the vertical tails of mine (Both of us flying pre-release Warthogs)...I just don't see an issue with smoothness on my end.


#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 216
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 216
We have just had a conversation with Razer at DCS forums. I realy can't tell, because I have never try this kind of flights...

As I wrote, before anything else, I downloaded Beta-2, un pack Warthog, create a mission and after a few minutes I could follow very easily the AI. Not a realy close aerobatic formation but decent for my first attempt, in a new sim with a new HOTAS.

Being a formation leader, I realy don't have a clue!

Last edited by 335th_GRSwaty; 12/06/10 11:19 PM.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,812
J
Frugalite & P-38 fan
Senior Member
Frugalite & P-38 fan
Senior Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,812
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
In the meantime, I can't help but wonder how the Warthog handle feels on a force-sensing Cougar stick base...
It feels like the stick don't move. smile

(Exp: Cougar/FCC/�2/Warthog)

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
Originally Posted By: Teej
I had my Warthog handle on an FCC Cougar for a bit. Works fine. I honestly prefer flying it on the Warthog base though.

I know the FSSB is superior to my first-gen FCC, and perhaps my FCC was just getting a bit worn out, but when it comes to precision flying, it's no contest.

Frazer will say it's "impossible" to fly lead with the Warthog...but given that way back in May I could fly Thunderbird-style formation rolls in the A-10 and F-15 while Ray kept the nosecone of his jet parked between the vertical tails of mine (Both of us flying pre-release Warthogs)...I just don't see an issue with smoothness on my end.

It's a bit jittery. I'm just so...tempted to get a Warthog, realism for Falcon 4.0 be damned, but the cost is a bit high, even if I managed to sell this Cougar. Then there's the issue of T.A.R.G.E.T.-compatible rudder pedals, and I wouldn't have any if I sold the Cougar to begin with (probably including my Hall sensor-modded RCS with it).

Originally Posted By: JAMF
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
In the meantime, I can't help but wonder how the Warthog handle feels on a force-sensing Cougar stick base...
It feels like the stick don't move. smile

(Exp: Cougar/FCC/�2/Warthog)

What I actually meant is if any stick shaft play becomes obvious with the Warthog handle. I think my Cougar handle's a bit worn. Bought it used, after all.

And for the record, my FCC-modded Cougar does move. Just slightly, very slightly.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
Then there's the issue of T.A.R.G.E.T.-compatible rudder pedals, and I wouldn't have any if I sold the Cougar to begin with (probably including my Hall sensor-modded RCS with it).


Why do you need "TARGET-compatible" pedals?


#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 951
Originally Posted By: Teej
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
Then there's the issue of T.A.R.G.E.T.-compatible rudder pedals, and I wouldn't have any if I sold the Cougar to begin with (probably including my Hall sensor-modded RCS with it).


Why do you need "TARGET-compatible" pedals?

I still play several old games that only see the first DirectInput ID, and sometimes only the first four axes and 8 to 16 buttons or so of that first ID. If I'm lucky, they'll just see the first two IDs in full, but nothing beyond that. I need the ability to map rudder pedals as part of a T.A.R.G.E.T. virtual controller that should take that first DirectInput ID.

Right now, the only supported method involves slaving gameport pedals to a Cougar...oh, wait, that's pretty much my current setup, except I wouldn't have the money for the Warthog if I kept the Cougar and RCS.

That's my current dilemma. I really, REALLY want to get my hands on the Warthog and evaluate it, but without a spare $410...

Last edited by NamelessPFG; 12/07/10 11:41 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,110 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1