SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3095444 09/17/10 05:40 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
Hey guys,

i just built a oldschool rig with a 750Mhz Athlon, 512MB RAM, a Voodoo 3 and WIN98SE.

3dFX gfx are working in JF-15 for example.
When i run Longbow2, menus are fine, but when i go quickstart the game crashes.

Does anyone has experience with LB2 on Win98 or is running it ?

Thanks,

Chris

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,455
Likes: 2
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,455
Likes: 2
I have never heard of problems with Windows 98, I don't think. Try some of the Windows XP install method steps:
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/install.html

See if anything on here looks as though it may help:
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/setup/setup.html

I regret that right now I cannot give one-to-one assistance on such matters, but please post back with results.

--

EDIT: I just re-read that you have 512Mb RAM - LB2 in Windows 98 doesn't like more than 384Mb RAM. Perhaps that's the problem. You probably need to limit the memory before the game will run. When I had a Win98 PC I only had 128Mb RAM, so I never had this problem.

All programs including memory limiters can be found here:
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/progs/progs.html

PositiveG's (RIP) old LB2 install guide addresses the RAM issue more thoroughly:
http://digitality.comyr.com/speichts/lb2/

Last edited by Flyboy; 09/17/10 12:35 PM.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
Hey Flyboy,

thanks for the guide, i already knew that one, just forgotten it smile

The HEAP_PERCENT trick does the job, runs without flaws now. Memory is no problem !

Wonder how you can turn on AA with those voodoos...

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,065
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,065
AA on a Voodoo 3? No can do.

Unless there is a piece of software that could emulate it. And that I've never heard of.
The Voodood 5 (and Voodoo 4 if I recall correctly) allowed for AA on the fly. You could disable and enable it at the touch of a button. Neat!

You're a more determined individual than I'll ever be. I have enough hardware to put a few legacy Voodoo based rigs together, including OSs, and I never feel like getting it done. smile

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
Well i planned it for 2 or 3 years now, and did just this week smile

So i have to look for a Voodoo 4 or 5 smile Bang!

Thanks and cu smile

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235
Every now and then I get an urge to go old school, but wouldn't be able to cope without TIR w/ Vector, and as far as I know it never worked under 98.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 87
Thats true, it's fun-killer if you are used to use TIR....


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,052 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1