SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3074565 08/16/10 05:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
guys!

I noticed that my firewall (zonealarm) is causing me some problems with ROF. I noticed that the stutters and pauses i had during the last couple of days (which only occured while playing online btw) were caused by ZA. I guess it has something to do with the last update. Some servers are fine but on some other ones, i am getting continious microstutters, which is tiresome. I tried to deactivate ZA and everything was smooth as silk. Never had that problem before. Any ideas? Maybe there is another good firewall, which doesn't eat up lots of resources like "kaspersky".

thanks!
John


Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 921
B
Flight Instructor
Member
Flight Instructor
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 921
Zonealarm conflicts with everything... As far as I can tell the only way firewalls keep you safe is by keeping you from doing anything...


bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance attack ar15 bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance
God damned bananas!!!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
smile Funny thing is, that i have been using ZA for the past 4 years without any conflicts.

So you are trying to say, that you don't use any firewall at all?


Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
No, he's saying that Zone Alarm has progressed from a pretty good product to a buggy, system eating, irritating POS that pretty much stinks in every way imaginable.

It makes me mad, too, because I really liked ZA before it went that route.

One should take prudent steps in the name of security, though; time to look for new protection software.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Dart #3074719 08/16/10 10:20 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 963
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 963
Originally Posted By: Dart
a buggy, system eating, irritating POS that pretty much stinks in every way imaginable.


LOLOL Oh, my...don't hold back...how do you REALLY feel?

Great mini-rant...got me grinning.

OT- I haven't used any of the 'big name' security software in many years. There's a reason McAfee, Norton's etc. are now included with many ISPs for 'free'...they're full of crapware and bloatware and are always aggressively trying to sell you something.

I've been using Avira, the free A/V for a few years. It's kept me vermin free and is unobtrusive. The only tradeoff for it being free is once a day you get a popup screen trying to sell you their payware program, but for the complete lack of hassle otherwise I'm sticking with it, it's only a bother for a few seconds a day and really only if you're in the middle of something that gets minimized to desktop.

None of the security or maintenance programs I use cost anything, they're free since the developers rely on word of mouth to sell their professional/business grade software. CCleaner, Advanced System Care 3, Iobit Security 360, Spyware Terminator, Malwarebytes, and Smart Defrag keep me running smoothly.

EDIT- just a thought, I haven't checked in ages, but dropping by CNET once in a while is a good way to keep abreast of the best current programs out there. I like that you get both the editors' AND user reviews to help you decide what's best for you.

[MF] Gunloon

Last edited by Gunloon; 08/16/10 10:24 PM.

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
M
Hotshot
Hotshot
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,623
I've been using NOD32 AV for the last few years, its payware but gets good reviews and seems very efficient in its resource usage. The newer versions also include spyware blocking as well as traditional AV functions.

I find software firewalls a complete pain in the arse, For the last few years I've been using the hardware firewall in my router to block incomings and don't bother with a software firewall. I've had no problems.

I agree with Gunloon, its wise to keep up to date with particularly malware programs as things move on fast. As well as Malwarebytes I find Superantispyware very good. ATF cleaner is a nice little program that empties all your temp folders where bad things tend to reside.


WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,499
I also used AV a few years back. But it was a dedicated anti virus programm. But only the payware version includes a firewall heh? I don't like like the payware stuff though. Aren't there any other free firewalls, which are worth a try?


Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,784 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1