SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
If it�s Tuesday, this must be Windows 7
by Frank "Dart" Giger

"Usually I wind up switching an OS because of something far less esoteric but not quite logical. guod asked me to do a little write up of my experiences when I mentioned that I was migrating from Vista to Win 7 after I revealed to him some of my upgrade mentality. He figured it would be good for a laugh, or two."

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_180a.html


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
He-he. Wonderful account of which I can relate to in many instances. DOS-prompts and bat files. Oh what joy!


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 376
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 376
That was a great read Dart. Reminds me on how I also went about upgrading my OS'es.
By far the worst OS by MS has to be WindowsME, where BSOD's was the norm.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,314
B
Lifer
Lifer
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,314
Great reliving my OS history with you. And indeed.. W7 was frustratingly err..un-frustrating.. wink

Hope you get that Togo thing sorted. I hear it is a nasty fix..



Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 475
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 475
That brought back some memories, and some rummaging through boxes to find all of the old software.

The one ironic thing I found with your article was the choice of ROF as a pic. Was this intentional? I ask because I cannot run ROF because of the stutters and the company's response is..."we do not support Windows 7".

Thanks!


i7 2600K
ASUS GTX580
46' LED
Bose Speakers
TM Warthog (CH Products, Logitech G-940 and Cougar are gathering dust)
TrackIR 4 w/Vector
VAC
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Actually, the problem with RoF and Win7 is with dual core processors. With quad core it works great.

More largely, guod was poking some fun at my huge RoF AAR's.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,849
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,849
Simular adventure here. But I did have a try at Windows 1.0 that was very very rough. Stayed on my 10 Meg HD about as long as IBM OS/2 did.

Oh god, now I feel old... I just had a flashback of Dos. 3.01

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 58
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 58
That's one fun read Dart ... and trip down memory lane.

BTW, if you're interested in rekindling that old frustration you can always build your machine: a day lost in sweaty troubleshooting (with beer ... which probably doesn't help) in pangs of fear that the thing will not come back up again.

Anyways, really enjoyable read.

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
J
Duke of URL
Veteran
Duke of URL
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
Originally Posted By: Dart
Actually, the problem with RoF and Win7 is with dual core processors. With quad core it works great.


Wait.. so when I upgrade to win7 64 this week my dual core is going to give me problems with RoF?


Commence to Jigglin'
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
It might.

I wasn't struck by any major stuttering, but a lot of folks were.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
J
Duke of URL
Veteran
Duke of URL
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,952
"Might", when it's a bad outcome, usually means Yes Jeevz, it will happen to you.

Maybe I'll do a dual boot.


Commence to Jigglin'
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 208
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 208
Nice read but don't forget a forgotten marvel even thought not windows wink OS2 WARP He He He..

//
Regards


"Live to fight another day"

MA790FXT-UD5P, Chieftec 850W CFT-850G-DF Super Series
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE, 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x2 paired)
2x XFX HD6870 1 GB, RAID0 array 300 GB primary
and 500 GB Sata secondary, DVD Burner Sata, SyncMaster P2350
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 3,745
H
Senior Member
Senior Member
H Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 3,745
Beautiful article Dart. Enjoyed every word.

You returned me to the days when I felt like I was master of my computer (autoexec.bat and config.sys? Yesssssssss!)

Now, the only time I get to show who is boss, is when it asks me to update the OS and gives me a choice between 'recommended' and 'optional' updates. Oh yeah, you can bet I don't always say yes to those optional updates. Who da man!!

And now I also have an iPad, which is even more emasculating.

Defrag? Waddat?

Clean up the hard drive? As if. LOOK at the hard drive? Not even. Peer into the registry? Delete temp files? Install dodgy software and spend hours getting the thing to even boot? Not allowed!

Click. On

Tap. Play

Click. Off

It's enough to make a real PC man cry.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Get ready for a brain splash of memory:

Jumper settings.

smile


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 231
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 231
Nice read. I thought I remembered all those hellish days, but you sparked a few thoughts I hadn't had in years. Not that the hellish days are gone mind you, I still have Vista. screwy

Last edited by Vegas; 08/04/10 05:37 PM.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
I
Junior Member
Junior Member
I Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
Ah yes, Windows ME.
I remember being the only person I knew who actually owned it.
People looked at me like I was crazy when they found out.
I also remember wasting hours trying to get it hooked up to a network for some LAN gaming.
Finally, an IT chap at work informed me that you had (strangely) to use NT network drivers, not 98 drivers as I had assumed.
Actually though, once you turned off all the crap, (eg system restore was extremely buggy), pretty much like you have to for XP etc, it was perfectly fine.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
I remember being dragged kicking to switch to XP from SE.

And now you tell me that MS has made something newer! I am always the last to find out. Will have to check it out....next computer.


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,212 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1