SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3001171 04/25/10 10:45 PM
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
Ok, this has happened twice.

One day booted up after some routine Windows Update on my Win 7 Pro system.

Right after boot up, my 2X5870 cards running in crossfire sound like blow driers (i.e., windows somehow has their cooling fans running at the top of the dial).

Worse, Device Manager recognizes only one card, which of course kills Crossfire.

Using system restore, I get back to pre-windows update state wherein my cards/Crossfire are again recognized and functioning normally.

Then, exactly the same thing happens (Windows Update kills card #2/Crossfire and bring on the blow drier).

WTF?

I'm not the only one with this problem it seems. Running sfc /Scannow as administrator to see if that works by some miracle.

Any ideas guys? You'd think somebody at Microsoft or AMD would be on top of this #%&*$# by now.

Thanks,

d.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,296
M
Crazy Courier
Senior Member
Crazy Courier
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,296
The only suggestion I have is to never install device drivers from windows update.
Turn off auto update, check manually yourself once a week or so and untick and device drivers before installing.


Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,147
Likes: 8
A
Hotshot
Hotshot
A Online: Tunes
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,147
Likes: 8
Yes, it might be a driver update for ATI cards causing the reset...


"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i7 14700k
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X
64GB Corsair DDR5 6400 Dominator Titanium
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
I always do manual Windows 7 updates because I assume some updates will "break" my system -- don't know which ones. I read a lot and try to establish that the latest crop of updates is OK before I allow install.

For example, a recent Microsoft optional update puts spyware on your computer to periodically check Windows 7 for being "non-pirated". I can imagine someday that unwanted application will erroneously determine I pirated my copy and turn me off. I skipped that one and permanently disallowed it (I hope).


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
Good advice. Screw Microsoft.

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
OK, this is killing me.

Something Microsoft did to Update Win 7 64 killed the Crossfire (it won't even recognize the card as stated above).

So I call Radeon. I pull out the one card. Clean the drivers. Reinstall the (old) drivers, then shut down install the Crossfire setup, then yes, Win 7 recognizes the card ATI CCC activates crossfire. Yipee!

Then Borderlands freezes my computer. Hard shut down. And, as it has EVERY time, I'm back to where I was before.

Not a word from Radeon to address this problem nor Microsoft, and yet it's all over the internet.

Hell if I'm playing musical cards again. WTF? When are they going to fix this?

d.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,636
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,636
Did you try a system restore?

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
Yup--- no luck there. :{

Weird things is, it comes and it goes with each boot. I try to stay in sleep mode as long as I can when both cards are ID'd.

I'm praying microsoft and/or Radeon fixes this krapp!

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 116
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 116
Hello Dash, I am running 5870's in crossfire, with Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate, I have taken all updates with NO troubles at all..Call Origin PC, ask them how they set up 5870s. They did my build with no worries at all.

Good Luck, Jim

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
Thanks for the advice! Weirdness here is it's all over the web, but there's no fix as of yet. I'm thinking of a clean install of Win 7, but how fun is that?

Anyway, thanks for the input. Maybe I'll buzz Origin PC. Weird how it works sometimes; sometimes not. Sometimes a simple driver clean/reinstall does it, but the next time I boot, it's hosed again.

UGH! Not what I forked out major bank for.... Sure you can understand.

d.

PS> This was a recent onset. My system (usually build 'em myself but decided to indulge with Cyberpower) worked fine in crossfire for quite a while until... who knows? You'd think Radeon would put out a hotfix or something!

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,173
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,173
Is there anyway you can just switch back to the older ATI/AMD drivers for your video card?

I was thinking of upgrading to an ATI card because Nivida's drivers suck, but it seems like ATI does not have their stuff together either...

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 998
OK, fixed it. Feel like a bit of a dumba$$ (broke one of the primary rules of fixing anything).

I'd tested both cards, taken out one, cleaned/reloaded drivers (which provided a temp fix till power down).

What I didn't do was REARRANGE the cards in their PCIe seats. That's all it took. 8-10 power ups, Crossfire working each time. Before 1 out of 10 power ups (from restart or coldstart) worked.

Oh well, problem solved.

I do love my Cyberpower rig, and it was nice to have someone else build it for me. But here's one thing for those of you who like me have built your past (6 in my case) systems:

If you weren't the one that put it together, basic installations, repairs, add-on hardware becomes much more challenging. Took me almost 8 hours to install a friggin' hard drive.

Anyway thanks to everybody who took time to give advice!!!!

d.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,566 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1