SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 2,962
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 2,962
I just found out that even though I'm finished school (grad was in June) I still have access to the MSDN/ELMS site as if I was still registered for school this year. So I'm downloading Windows 7 64 and 32 bit right now.

Anyway, I want to try it on my laptop since it's (unfortunately for my 2002 'gaming rig') the fastest rig I have. It's got Vista Home Premium now, can I install & Pro beside it and kill it if I feel like it later and have it be like it was never there? IE no OS choice at startup? Anyone know?

Thanks,


tomcat

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 897
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 897
I know for a fact you can easily edit the boatloader to have it automatically boot into a certain OS at startup. So you wouldn't get that option menu anymore. Are you planning on installing Win7 on another partition?

I would think that installing Win 7 on the same partition as Vista would cause some problems.

P.S. Unless Microsoft has pre-released Windows7 to schools and business, you're probably downloading the RC which is going to expire anyways.

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 2,962
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 2,962
Phoenix;

it's the RTM, release to manufacture. Same thing they send to get put on discs for release. No expiry smile

If I install it on a new partition can I merge 2 back into one partition when/if I'm done?

Thanks

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 12,110
What about just putting another HD in it for that? Laptop drives are relatively cheap for lower capcity ones. There would be no worries then.

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 2,962
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 2,962
Yeah, it's only about 6 months old though, can't really crack it open yet. I'm using VMWare for now, at least that will indicated if the .iso(s) burned ok or not. I may end up taking the plunge before too long, if I can get a few more product keys. I guess I could install the x86 version on the laptop and the 64 bit on my hypothetical new PC.


Wonder if I can boot off a USB drive connected to the laptop? That would work for what I need.. Thanks guys.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,262 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1