SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Haven't fired up Il-2 in awhile -and I upgraded a bit - doubled RAM from 2GB to 4GB and went from a 512 MB 7600 GT (?) to a 9800 GT 1GB.

I expected to be zooming along as I had been before but now frames are stuck in the 19-23 range with a bunch of "lurching" no matter what setting I use.

So....what the he<<? Can anyone help?

I am using the 182.5 drivers. My system specs and dxdiag display section are below

Using XP SP2.

System specs;

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core AM2 3500+ CPU
4GB DDR2 PC4200 Non-ECC Memory (4GB x 1)
MSI K9N Neo-F V.3 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 560 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
16X DVD+/-R/RW Dual Layer Drive w/Cyberlink
GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Windows XP Professional
Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0605&SUBSYS_C9813842&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8250 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/27/2009 10:03:00, 6186880 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 397
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 397
Well, it's not just the VGA card and memory.. you also have to take into account CPU as there is much calculation going on. But your AMD CPU should not bottle neck the game that much. What resolution are you running and when is it you measure the FPS? Also notice there are MIN, AVG and MAX FPS values.. don't gaze yourself blind on the MIN FPS. Run the BlackDeath track and post you MIN and AVG FPS as well. If possible also post the contents of your conf.ini file from the IL2 directory.


www.f19vs.se

~But.. please mum! ~
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Thanks for the response. Let me see if I can address your questions:
- My earlier card, lower RAM and same CPU gave me very smoth 30+ frames consistently. I am not getting that now.
- I am using fraps and just remembering what I see in terms of FPS - low and choppy
- I am running 1600x1200 32bit - as I did before - with near Perfect settings
- Black Death track = never knew where to get that from
- Conf.ini = I will post when I get home.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
M
Babelfish Immune
Veteran
Babelfish Immune
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,618
I am using the 182.5 drivers

Latest WHQL drivers 185.85

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

19-23

Suspicious, disable vsync and go again

Ming


'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 936
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 936
Drivers is my thought too, I�ve set vsync to application and I�ve got fps in the sixties.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
So the 185.8r drivers are the way to go then?

Conf.ini file:

[il2]
title=Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1600
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=25000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]
region=(dx=0.6925,dy=0.071666665,x=0.0,y=0.0)
autoLogDetail=0

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=1
mapPadX=0.6125
mapPadY=0.015
viewSet=36
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=1
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=1
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1
SubTitlesLines=2
ClearCache=0
TypeClouds=1


[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Shift MouseLeft=worldZoom
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=1
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=2
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=1
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=0
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=0
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=1
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1X=5 8 16 25 35 44 54 64 75 85 99 10
1Y=5 58 38 29 25 29 35 42 48 63 90 10
1U=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1V=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Z1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=0
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=0
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=2
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=0
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=1
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=2
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=3
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

[DGen]
RandomFlights=4
CampaignLength=Long
NoBadWeather=1
MaxBomberSkill=0
AirIntensity=High
UseParkedPlanes=1
MissionDistance=15
HistoricalRanks=1
PromotionRate=2.0


Thanks.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Have you ran Stab?

It seems there is no tweak I can do to better the results from Stab, and no trouble I've caused from my tweaking that Stab can't fix....


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Yes, I've used Stab for years. Something tells my issues are a combination of new card/set-up and - cough - mod version.

Just d/l'd the beta DLLs and I will test w/ them this weekend.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 108
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 108
just went through new rig set-up, tried lot of different options

google nvidia 3d settings/optimize for il2fb, lot of good info on mission4today, I think

what r yours nvidia settings?

briefly looking at your conf.ini, I would choose trilinear and force AF from nvidia panel, try to decrease effects to 0 or 1 (great fps hog, and u will not loose very much eye candy anyway, IMHO), I fly with water=0, fast and good enough looking), try 1600x1200 (your native res), perfect (shaders=1), and land geometry=3, u might be suprised.

bottom line, u just have to mess with it until it feels and looks right, your specs r good, just have to figure out where u getting bogged down

i dont think the mods r the issue..

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,785
X
Hotshot
Hotshot
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,785
OK - The mere fact that you added more RAM means nothing I hate to say. Actually, it can hurt you in some cases.

Example: When you had 2G RAM, XP was utilizing all of it in a more optimized manner. When you "upgraded" to 4G, did you purchase a 2G matched pair or just buy another 2G to add to it - filling up all 4 slots? My guess is that you just bought 2G RAM that may or may not have the same timings as the original nor from the same manufacturer even. When RAM says "matched pair" it means that both sticks in they have been tested and designed to run together as a matched pair �ONLY�. When you add unmatched RAM to your system, your memory default RAM speed and timings will be that of you speed of the lowest stick you have in there.


Also, unless you have the 3G hack in your system boot, which I doubt - when you check the amount of RAM windows recognizes will be around 2.25GB - note; the more hardware you install, the less RAM XP will recognize. The only fix for that is to upgrade to Vista (64bit) or Windows 7.

The most important issue I think is that out dated processor you are running. With the greater capability of divers to push video cards harder, there are extra processes and logarithms that run and will tax your system more.

I say remove the sticks of RAM and save the money if you don't want to buy a new processor. Well since you are running a AM2, you are about due for an upgrade anyway.

Last edited by X_MAN; 06/11/09 07:32 PM.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Actually I do have matched pairs of RAM and the 3G Boot hack - needed that for early versions of Empire Total War.

The next item on my list is to upgrade my CPU to the max my mobo can handle. But that will have to wait until XMAS as I just received Track IR4 for my b-day.

Now, I have some testing to do.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,185
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,185
Barkhorn1x,

Running a modded version, such as UI 1.1 can lower your frame rate by 40% or more. You stated that you are 'modded', so you may already be aware of this.

For instance, I've been testing a new coop on the Guam map. I was getting an average of about 150 FPS running 4.08 unmodded. Just for kicks, I switched to my 'UI 1.1' 4.08 modded version and was surprised to see that the average dropped to around 85 FPS.

You also mentioned that you don't know where to find the Black Death track. If you have 1946, I believe it came with the game. Just look in the Play Track section.

Aviar


Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz
Asus Z97-C Motherboard
16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Found The Black Death track (I thought it was a mission that someone made) and tested extensively last night at different rez/settings/modded/unmodded levels.

It is indeed the mods. Crap! My CPU is just not up to the job at an acceptable frame rate.

Oh well, now I know. Thanks for the help guys.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,785
X
Hotshot
Hotshot
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,785
Well - that's great! I guess I under estimated your tweaking skills with the 3G hack LOL - my apologies.

Now, I would take that RAM back and find an AM2 64+ somewhere if you can - I am guessing EBay smile. It would make sense for the MODS to slow your system down. The number of files that have to be accessed now individually instead of in the .swf files are huge!

Now that I think about it - I would try investing in a 10K RPM 16MB cache HD, with faster write times, you might get a break. This investment you can transfer over to your new system.


C.O. No 91 'Nigeria' Squadron
______________
WE SEEK ALONE
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 118
Likes: 2
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 118
Likes: 2
Hey, Barkhorn. Try this for something completely different:

A friend of mine/squad mate suffering from similar problems just discovered that he had been running into conflict between Il2 enormous hunger for processing power and an almighty energy saving MoBo Software running in the background.
It cut the rig's power exactly down to your mentioned 20 fps or so.
He disabled the process and is going fine ever since.

You just need to check your task list thoroughly, no messing around with different drivers and combining there of.

Good Luck!
muffinstomp


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,330 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1