SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2653386 01/16/09 04:18 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,349
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,349
So... for those of you who don't know, at age 32 I went back to school to attend law school.

I got my first term marks back today, and since I just moved here I don't have anyone else to brag to.

I got all A-'s except for one B.

For the brit's that's first class honors, perhaps touching the top of upper second class
For the French that's a 14-15.9/Bien score.
For the German's that's a 1.6-2.5 / gut score.
For the dutch its equivalent to an 8.
For the Aussies its a distinction.
For the kiwis its 8 sheep.

Sorry, had to throw that last one in. Kiwi grades are the same as ours.

So, anyways... I'm happy.


The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Nicely done - congrats!


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Good work!


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,710
L
Legsie is such a
Hotshot
Legsie is such a
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,710
Congrats! What's the next step?


There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,349
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,349
Well, right now I am working on a legal memorandum on the constitutionality of a province enacting regulations on abortion. Not my choice of topic!


The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,497
W
Senior Member
Senior Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,497
Well done and good luck


You take it easy.. And have a nice day smile

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy sh!t...What a Ride!!"
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,876
I
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Member
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Member
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,876
Great, you looked at the world and thought;

Hey, it needs another lawyer!! wink


"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Congrats Paul. I'm surprised about the topic you have to write a legal memorandum on since I assumed it was pretty much a non-issue in Canada.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/16/09 01:24 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 8,556
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 8,556
Egads, that's all we need, another lawyer!!

Just kidding, Congratulations Paul!


Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,349
P
Veteran
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,349
Quote:
Great, you looked at the world and thought;

Hey, it needs another lawyer!!


No, what I did was look at the world and think; Hey, it needs another GOOD lawyer!!


As for the topic, while its pretty much political kryptonite here in Canada, the decision which created the current state of the law is widely held to be one of the worst reasoned supreme court decisions. I'm pretty sure the professor assigned this as an exercise in client advocacy: ie. seeing beyond your own views to see the law on both sides.


The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Way to go Paul. thumbsup Somehow I feel lazy now...oh well, it will pass. biggrin

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
So Paul, I have a question. Are lawyers required to be bilingual in Canada?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,876
I
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Member
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Member
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,876
Originally Posted By: Paul Morrison


Hey, it needs another GOOD lawyer!!



Well, that's true, good luck.


"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
2
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel
2 Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 40,112
Congrats Paul.


Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,538
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,538
Originally Posted By: Paul Morrison
So... for those of you who don't know, at age 32 I went back to school to attend law school.

I got my first term marks back today, and since I just moved here I don't have anyone else to brag to.

I got all A-'s except for one B.

For the brit's that's first class honors, perhaps touching the top of upper second class
For the French that's a 14-15.9/Bien score.
For the German's that's a 1.6-2.5 / gut score.
For the dutch its equivalent to an 8.
For the Aussies its a distinction.
For the kiwis its 8 sheep.

Sorry, had to throw that last one in. Kiwi grades are the same as ours.

So, anyways... I'm happy.


So you decided to join us on the dark side after all. I had a feeling you'd end up there despite, IIRC, some voiced protests to the contrary in some of your older posts. But no matter, a legal education is a great thing to have. Grades unfortunately are 90% of everything in Law School and first year performance has a lot to do with many things (law review etc.). So keep it up. But at the end of the day, if you're not at the top of the top, it's really no big deal. You'll do fine. Take it seriously, but not too seriously. I partied pretty hard in Law School actually. And Beavis and Butthead, for me at the time, often put things back into perspective after a night of studying. Try to get some practical experience too. While Law School trains you in analytic thinking, legal writing and basic skills, it won't prepare you at all for what goes on in practice--of any kind.


"Save 'em the money. Hard times is coming" --Shemavon "Sam" Perperian (1900 - 2004)
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,834
Lifer
Lifer
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,834
Nothing wrong with bragging about your self every once in awhile. Well done Paul.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
A lot of my friends thought I was going to be a lawyer because I participated in a lot of team debate and Lincoln/Douglas debate tournaments during high school. I enjoyed debate but entering the legal profession never even crossed my mind. I dont have the personality for it.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,538
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,538
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
A lot of my friends thought I was going to be a lawyer because I participated in a lot of team debate and Lincoln/Douglas debate tournaments during high school. I enjoyed debate but entering the legal profession never even crossed my mind. I dont have the personality for it.


I don't think you need any certain type of personality to be a lawyer. I have come across all types, believe me. Some really bizarre people who wouldn't seem able to make toast on their own and some introverted types seemingly unable to engage in a normal conversation and yet...they are lawyers. If your goal is to be a sort of hard nosed trial/litigation or transactional attorney (as often depicted on tv), then you do have to have some stomache for frequently fighting with people. But that's not what all attorneys do. Much of civil practice is purely advisory in nature as opposed to adversarial.

Last edited by PHilA; 01/16/09 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar and missing words

"Save 'em the money. Hard times is coming" --Shemavon "Sam" Perperian (1900 - 2004)
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,085
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,085
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
So Paul, I have a question. Are lawyers required to be bilingual in Canada?


If you're in the employ of the government then I bet you are. For private practice I don't think so but it probably helps.


"...for who are so free as the sons of the waves?"
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752
V
Veteran
Veteran
V Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 11,752
Originally Posted By: Paul Morrison
Quote:
Great, you looked at the world and thought;

Hey, it needs another lawyer!!


No, what I did was look at the world and think; Hey, it needs another GOOD lawyer!!


"Good" is far too ambiguous a term. How about a lawyer with integrity?


"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,328 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1