SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 26
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 26
How do you lubricate your joystick?

My cyborg evo has been like sticky lately. I can't push or pull the stick smoothly
I'm guessing tat the problem lies on that plastic washer below the gimbal spring.

any help would be appreciated ~

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
My Saitek X52 Pro is only a week old. Still, I did notice the need for lubrication at the plastic/metal interface (I don't know if the X52 Pro is built exactly like the Evo).

I used Moly Disulphide (Molybdenum Disulphide, MoS2). Its the premium dry lube -- perfect for this use. BUT, it is usually hard to get in small quantities and expensive. I keep it around because its the best. Google for suppliers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

I assume dry powder graphite lube (as used on Pinewood Derby cars) would work almost as well. Its a general lubricant for many purposes and is more readily available (however, I have not tried it for this purpose). Google for suppliers.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/346351/Tube-O-Lube_31644G_Dry_Powder_Graphite_Lubricant

Silicone grease could do the job -- and not attack the plastic. Its a great "wet" lube -- the best for many uses. The downside is dust collection (as with any "wet" lube) -- that is mitigated by using the most microscopic layer (don't goop it on). It too is available in small/expensive quantities. BTW, Moly Disulphide grease would have the same dust collection problem (but Moly is best used dry where possible). I keep silicone grease in my home shop too -- but have not tried it on the Saitek.

I am also deciding on what lube to use on the center-post where the metal washer spring mechanism rides up and down the metal post-- haven't picked one yet -- probably will pick something out of my lube-box that goes in as a liquid (to get between the washer and post) and subsequently "dries". Nonetheless, I imagine a wet lube would work OK there if dry were not available.

BTW, lubrication is not a "Saitek Problem" -- virtually all mechanical surfaces that rub benefit from lubrication -- just has to be the right kind for plastic and rubber or it can cause more problems than it solves.

P.S. To apply Moly or Graphite, first clean off all oil, wax, etcetera and dry the surface. The surface needs to be perfectly clean -- then the dry lube bonds with the surface material (metal or plastic) and will not wipe off in use. Do not mix dry lube with oil or grease as it defeats the primary dry lube benefits.

P.P.S You got me thinking. So, I completed my lube job. I was able to apply the Moly dry lube to the center post and the flat sliding surface the post sticks out of. I used a q-tip cotton swab. All lubed up now.

Last edited by Allen; 10/01/08 12:08 PM. Reason: P.S. & P.P.S. info

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
I'm now interested in that lube Allen describes.

I reccommend DO NOT use teflon based gun oil. I needed help with my X-45 and I read in the Saitek forums that someone suggested gun oil that had teflon in it. I happened to have some and tried it. It turned a minor sticking problem into a major hideous problem. It made the stick incrementely worse.

I later tried vaseline and candle wax an it worked ok. But it sounds like Allen has the real ticket there.


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 26
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 26
Thanks for the tips, i'll try to get those stuffs you mentioned~

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Candle wax for five or so years, here.


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
 Originally Posted By: adlabs6
Candle wax for five or so years, here.


That can work with the right candles. Along those lines, I'm a fan of Paraffin wax (often used in the kitchen for "preserves") -- your candles may use paraffin wax:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin

Its very stiff, waterproof. Makes a good rustproof coating for blued and bare steel because it adheres so well and won't wipe off with handling -- I use it on some of my firearms. Can be used as a lube -- but, usually I use one of the lubes I suggested above. I keep a couple pounds of paraffin in my home-shop (bought at the grocery store -- a lifetime supply).

The strength of paraffin wax is its stiffness and lack of solubility. The hard part is rubbing and rubbing and rubbing to smoothly and evenly distribute it all over the surface being protected. One cannot simply "spread it on" like other waxes because it is so stiff and strong for a wax (you can spread it if the surface and the wax are heated). First, I rub the solid bar of wax directly into the surface -- trying to coat the entire surface evenly -- results in a too thick non uniform coat. Then I use a cloth and rub and rub until I have a uniform shiny finish.


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Mine is the same old piece of wax I found worked best years ago, and I can't recall where it came from. It clearly was a melted piece that I picked up off the candle holder. As per your description, yep it could well be paraffin.


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,030 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1