SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
Does anyone in the IL-2 community get the Military Channel?

Starting this Tuesday January 22nd they'll be playing the "Wings of the Luftwaffe" series, perhaps one of the greatest documentaries on the Luftwaffe ever. This has previously only been available on VHS, but we're in the digital age now. I think it would be good if someone with the ability to record onto digital format could save this series for posterity.

I won't go any further here, but please PM me if you are able to help.

Here's the schedule:
Jan 22nd, Me-109
Jan 23, Me-262 & Ju-88
Jan 24, V1 & Me-110
Feb 4, Ju-87
Feb 6, FW-190
Feb 7, He-111
Feb 10, Me-321
Feb-11, Ju-52
Feb 12, Me-163
Feb 15, Ar-234
Feb 21, Seaplanes.


Check out HardBall's Aircraft Viewer. "This is an invaluable asset for all IL-2 aficionados", PC Pilot Magazine, May 2006.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 335
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 335
Yeah Id love to get this series digitally..I never did see the seaplanes for some reason.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,672
Likes: 3
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,672
Likes: 3
I've heard that the old Do 24 was one of the best flying boats ever made.


http://www.dornier24.com/

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
K
Veteran
Veteran
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
There a Do24 in flying condition today. It uses 3 P&W PT6A-45B's instead of the radials.

http://www.do-24.com/


There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
Bump. Any of you tech-savvy types see and/or record the first one?


Check out HardBall's Aircraft Viewer. "This is an invaluable asset for all IL-2 aficionados", PC Pilot Magazine, May 2006.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,800
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,800
This is the third or fourth time they've aired this series. They also have one for Japanese, American and Russian birds. At one time I had the whole thing recorded and saved to DVDs (all hail the Pioneer 810H TV with built in DVD burner!). Lost them in a recent move.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Ah, the Germans.....the Cleveland Browns of the History Channel....

-Homer Simpson.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 967
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 967
Saw it last night.Will download the rerun today.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 34
Z
Junior Member
Junior Member
Z Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 34
I wish I had AVI's of these episodes...to replace the VHS copy's I lost.


...what?
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
 Originally Posted By: zardozid
I wish I had AVI's of these episodes...to replace the VHS copy's I lost.


That's the point of my original post. This has to be done confidentially (we don't want to get SimHQ in trouble), but if community members record all 13 episodes then those episodes will find their way into safe hands and not be left languishing on dusty, poor quality VHS tapes or be hoarded by TV executives only to be shown to a hungry public once in a blue moon.


Check out HardBall's Aircraft Viewer. "This is an invaluable asset for all IL-2 aficionados", PC Pilot Magazine, May 2006.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
So, has anybody recorded any of these and converted them to AVI's? My PM box is empty. ;\)

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 22
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 22


After it was refeuled i climbed in.With many manipulations the mechcanics started the turbines.I followed their actions with the greatest of interest.The first one started quite easily.the second caught fire.In no time the whole engine was on fire.Luckily as a fighter pilot i was used to getting quickly out of the cockpit.The fire was quickly put out.The second plane caused no trouble - Adolf Galland (first time in a ME262)
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
Thanks, but unfortunately, they're not in English. I searched Stage 6 yesterday and didn't see these though, so maybe English versions will be coming shortly.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Surely this excellent series is on DVD?? It should be!

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
I've looked at the Discovery Store and online, and they only have a single DVD. Here's the description.

Wings of the Luftwaffe: Fighter Attack
While the rest of the world was still struggling with propellers, Hitler's air force � the Luftwaffe � was busy pioneering the jet engine. Look back at the waning years of World War II when German designers made tremendous advances in aviation technology � the high-speed Fw 190 Butcherbird, the space-age V1 and V2 rockets, and the revolutionary Me 262, the only successful jet fighter of the war.

If they had the whole series on DVD, I'd most definitely snatch it up.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,138
I received PMs from a couple of guys. I assume they're still on the case. The last episode screens Feb 21st, so I hope to hear some good news after that...

WWChunk, I think that's a different show.

Stage 6 has 2 episodes in English, BF-110 (should really be called "destroyers"), and Ju-88. I already have copies of Me-163, FW-190 and V1 but the quality is variable. I'll upload them to Stage 6 in due course, but I want to see if I can find better quality versions first. Fingers crossed.


Check out HardBall's Aircraft Viewer. "This is an invaluable asset for all IL-2 aficionados", PC Pilot Magazine, May 2006.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 91
Yeah, the DVD I referenced is a different show. I've got my pathetic Comcast DVR set to record the additional episodes of this series. I looked last night and it plays through the middle of March. I'll try to get them on my PC as AVI's then put them up somewhere. I'll keep on checking Stage6 in the meantime. Thanks!


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,905 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1