Originally Posted By: Snapper
Originally Posted By: Bard
Reducing memory to 640K might help too... wink

It's really sad that in desperation people are trying things they shouldn't need to to get this sim working smoothly, when there really isn't any of us can do but wait - no amount of bowing to mecca is going to overcome fundamental flaws in the design and coding. Play something else and come back every now and then to check for patches.


Bard, I would do just that if I wasn't having so much fun with Cliffs of Dover. Just flew 1.5 hours on the ATAG server tonight, hooked up with a few guys on Teamspeak, and basically formed a "hornets' nest" over Hawkinge. We took on fighters and bombers, AI and human alike, and had a blast. No stuttering nor crashes tonight whatsoever -- possibly with the ATAG server disabling custom skins there's less load overall when new players spawn...dunno. I managed to log 2.58 kills myself and was front seat to others' kills; managed to deadstick land twice due to battle damage and engine abuse. We had good discussions over Teamspeak on best ammo loadouts, fuel loads (endurance vs agility), and lots of really, really sick jokes. All to say, I'd miss out on all that if I took your advice and shelved CoD waiting for the next patch.

Obviously this is the wrong place to make suggestions on how to make the sim run better. Guess we should just come to the SimHQ Cliffs of Dover forum to check for patches then go play some other game. screwy


I'm so very glad you're having fun - but the sim is complete garbage in its current state. Making it run better is a purely relative thing. Right now it runs like Steven Hawking - strapping a skateboard to his butt isn't REALLY going to help him run.

A consumer should not need to screw about with extra programs/file replacements to get antialiasing to work, have to disable XFire or SLI because COD doesn't work properly, or hack any config files or bind dozens of keys unbound by default.

When the sim is out of Alpha in ALL advertised portions I'll bother. Right now the sim is at the utter bottom of my playlist of dozens of other fully functioning entertainment products - I'll spend my time playing the ones that work thankyou.


What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.