S! Biggles. Listen mate, you've made me feel like a bit of a dick for "waxing lyrical" so much when I haven't got the tech savvy to manage to cater to your requests and back up my enthusiastic assertions with some hard evidence. FFS, I'm so tech challenged that I haven't even worked out how to make the ingame FPS counter work for me yet. "fps START SHOW" I believe, but everytime I can manage to open a console window without crashing into the ground I just get a "no such command (you pillock)" comment from the console. A dxdiag printout is waywayway outside my know how.
Honestly I wasn't trying to BS about performance. I was indeed fully elated after a truly enjoyable flight. But perhaps, with hindsight, I was a wee bit OTT. I only had about a dozen friendly AI and a pile of static objects in the map so it wasnt that taxing a mission at all. My only excuse is that I was so stoked to finally have FFB. And it did run well this morning. And I really did enjoy that flight (I had also deleted my game and shaders cash prior to flying btw).
I was flying with the following settings.

My system is an i7 860 @ 2.8 ghz, 4 gig ram and a GTX460 (slightly OC'd) - mid range overall I think. If I try and fly in 1980x1020 it becomes unplayable over land so my happy compromise is 1600 x 900.
In my post I was trying to communicate my enjoyment of what's in the sim to be enjoyed, despite the struggle to do so. Sorry if it came across as a fanbois gush. Since this morning, every time I try and fly it reverts to 1280x720 resolution and I have to restart to get back to 1600x900. The samll windowed view on hitting fly button issue has now become such a problem, couple with repeated automatic resetting to ultra low res, that I too am now once again sh!tted off with the game and hoping for a fix of the fixes in the next official patch.
I did hop back in and buzz Buck palace (that is the place in your screeny, right?) for 10 minutes at my settings shown above and I'd guess that I was indeed probably averaging 15 FPS at best. Sorry for getting carried away. I'll go a pour myself a big frosty glass of shut the f#%k up now then. Cheers.