SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
I returned to the Finger Lakes region of New York -- which is beautiful by the way -- and hit the track. My posted lap had been falling a bit, and I was also just fifth among US drivers. I like to filter down because once you add German, French, British and of course fookin' fast Finns then my position doesn't look as impressive haha.

But yeah, I do pay attention to the overall of course, which is most important, and like to be fastest American if I can. The Glen is a 'home' track of course and there has been a strong turnout, and four had gone faster, and thirty one overall.

Swapped to a red car because red is the fastest color and turned a 22.3 to sit 23rd overall at the mo, but still only third at home. I did manage to leap over my phantom rival, Axial Terra, who had twice beaten my lap which inspires me to go again.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 489
Likes: 13
2
Steam:24_Fan XBL:Snafu27
Member
Steam:24_Fan XBL:Snafu27
Member
2 Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 489
Likes: 13
I took another shot at your Glen time, just missed out. Good laps, I had a little more left to gain, but not much. Maybe I needed the red car instead of the Sunoco car, lol. That's going to be my last attempt for a week or so, as I won't be racing any this weekend.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Wow, that's a blistering lap Kenny. Very nicely done. That's top 2%. I wish you ran against my ghost because I'd ask where the two tenths came from. Always interested in that sort of thing.

I've posted laps at all of them aside from the hillclimb and Macau which I think is no fun to drive. There are maybe six or eight tracks in the sim that I just do not like. Avus is another. I revisited Nordschleife NLS in the Crossle a couple nights ago and found a couple seconds to move up a bit. I like that car and I love this circuit, but it's just not enough car. 10:43 to get around

There's a beat the pro event in a 911 at Zandvoort and that's a fun combination. Axial Terra just jumped me by a couple tenths so I might have to see if I can sharpen it up. If Kenny keeps on with this sort of pace I think we'll be trading fast laps. You've shown great pace in this Indy Car and the X-22. Good stuff.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
The round is over. The turnout for the fest was tepid at best. Three drivers aside from me here, posted laps. I guess that's a win.

New round should be up soon. Hope to see some of you on the boards.

New round is up. GT3 on the proper version of the Nordschleife. yes, please


https://game.raceroom.com/competitions/

Last edited by DBond; 05/18/26 01:52 PM.

To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
I put up a lap at Assen in DTM last night and that's a great track. We have another event at Bilster Berg (same track as Porsche 944 last round) and that is a fun track too.

At Assen I drove the Merc and it was a good time. You can really rotate the car with the the throttle, easy to break the rears loose in a deliberate and controlled way and swing it around. Good stuff. I believe I can go faster and will hit this one again.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
I have a 1.23 something at pau in an Alpine, you'll probably overtake me at 1st or 3rd attempt, but I had real fun on this twisty track. I have no idea how they can overtake safely on this track but it's a real treat. Nice city by spring/summer by the way, if you ever visit. Too dark in winter.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Nice one. Not a fan of Pau, really, but I'll hit it probably.

Today I posted a lap in GT3 at Nordschleife. I said in another thread that it is the proper Nordschleife without the GP bits, because that's what the competition says it is. But instead it is NLS, so it IS the track Max and the rest were driving last race. I drove the 992, turned about six laps and posted a 8:16. It's a very competitive leaderboard. GT3 brings everyone out.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
I was never able to memorize the ring fully, and feel shy of it, bravo for being competitive there !

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Thanks. I'm a Ring disciple no doubt. I've driven more miles here than any other track, and maybe all tracks put together!

For me it is the best circuit in the world. Yeah, it's a lot to learn, 174 corners, but it's worth it. The NLS version combines most of the GP track with the Nordschleife and adds a lot more corners.

If you're interested, pick a slow ghost and follow him around. Once you've posted a lap, pick a different ghost that's a second or two in front and chase him, and in this way you'll learn the track and improve your lap times. The key at der Green Hell is positioning, and proper positioning only comes with experience. You want to always be placing the car in the right spot to carry as much speed as possible through the next corner or succession of corners. You gotta know where you can stand on it and where you cannot. There are three long, flat out sections and getting a proper exit ahead of these sections is key to a fast lap here.

You never stop learning and improving at der Nurburgring.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Originally Posted by rollnloop.
I have a 1.23 something at pau in an Alpine


Good driving, loop. I ran against your ghost, but I drove the McLaren. Both the 570 and the A110 are mid-engine, but the Alpine feels rear-engine for me, the balance in it. Like a Porsche 911/992. Good cars for twisty tracks.

I kept building it, as I hadn't driven here in ages, but started putting it together. I ran 4/4 TC/ABS and bumped brake pressure down to 95 but otherwise it was default setup. The hairpin felt easier than it ever has for me, always a struggle but here just flicking through it. They made some changes to how steering works and I don't understand it and just run whatever is default. I would have to increase steering lock before to get around the hairpin. In the end I managed a 20.8, to sit 11th for the moment, and have to admit did better than I expected.

I know you're on the controller, right loop? You might not have any buttons left but if you can I suggest finding room for TC up/down and ABS up/down, or using the keyboard if that's not a problem. It's nice to be able to switch it on the fly, but you can get by with just changing it at the start of the stint, and experimenting over multiple stints. I nearly always go 3/3 at the start with a new car and track combo and then adjust as necessary. 3/3 is safe and neutral

In RaceRoom, both TC and ABS default to highest intervention when you first climb in the car. Counterintuitively perhaps, the lower the number, the higher the intervention, so TC 1 is most traction control. On some cars, how much engine cut occurs and how much slip is allowed for each level of TC and ABS can be altered in the garage. Only some cars and classes have factory TC and ABS, but on those that do it's a nice way to dial in some desired balance.

High ABS does the most to prevent lockups, but is understeering in nature. So it can be faster to dial this back (higher number) to make the car trail brake better and rotate more on entry, if that would be needed. TC cuts engine power when it engages to prevent wheel slip and this can bog down exits (but is preferrable to spins of course) BY default the TC 3 setting gives the most cut at a higher threshold, allowing a little more slip before it kicks in.

One more thing.... some cars have a displayed interval on the wheel/dash showing the delta to your reference lap, the fastest you've turned so far. On GT3 cars this is displayed on the initial page, but in GT4 you have to flip the page, using the data display flip or whatever it is called. When you're hotlapping, this info is vital to reveal which approaches and lines yield the fastest speeds, or for me it is.

Never mind if you knew all of this already, but it's good info in general for anyone who stumbles by. And I changed the thread title as the fest is over smile


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
There's a free comp in Super Touring, which are always fun to drive. The track is Valerbanen? and I don't think I'd driven here before and wasn't in the mood to learn a new circuit but looked at the board and saw sub-one minute laps so can't be that bad.

It's pretty fun, a good, short circuit and a nice match for the Super Touring. I drove the Renault. Only took a few laps to learn it


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,490
Likes: 46
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by rollnloop.
I have a 1.23 something at pau in an Alpine


Good driving, loop. I ran against your ghost, but I drove the McLaren. Both the 570 and the A110 are mid-engine, but the Alpine feels rear-engine for me, the balance in it. Like a Porsche 911/992. Good cars for twisty tracks.

I kept building it, as I hadn't driven here in ages, but started putting it together. I ran 4/4 TC/ABS and bumped brake pressure down to 95 but otherwise it was default setup. The hairpin felt easier than it ever has for me, always a struggle but here just flicking through it. They made some changes to how steering works and I don't understand it and just run whatever is default. I would have to increase steering lock before to get around the hairpin. In the end I managed a 20.8, to sit 11th for the moment, and have to admit did better than I expected.

I know you're on the controller, right loop? You might not have any buttons left but if you can I suggest finding room for TC up/down and ABS up/down, or using the keyboard if that's not a problem. It's nice to be able to switch it on the fly, but you can get by with just changing it at the start of the stint, and experimenting over multiple stints. I nearly always go 3/3 at the start with a new car and track combo and then adjust as necessary. 3/3 is safe and neutral

In RaceRoom, both TC and ABS default to highest intervention when you first climb in the car. Counterintuitively perhaps, the lower the number, the higher the intervention, so TC 1 is most traction control. On some cars, how much engine cut occurs and how much slip is allowed for each level of TC and ABS can be altered in the garage. Only some cars and classes have factory TC and ABS, but on those that do it's a nice way to dial in some desired balance.

High ABS does the most to prevent lockups, but is understeering in nature. So it can be faster to dial this back (higher number) to make the car trail brake better and rotate more on entry, if that would be needed. TC cuts engine power when it engages to prevent wheel slip and this can bog down exits (but is preferrable to spins of course) BY default the TC 3 setting gives the most cut at a higher threshold, allowing a little more slip before it kicks in.

One more thing.... some cars have a displayed interval on the wheel/dash showing the delta to your reference lap, the fastest you've turned so far.

On GT3 cars this is displayed on the initial page, but in GT4 you have to flip the page, using the data display flip or whatever it is called. When you're hotlapping, this info is vital to reveal which approaches and lines yield the fastest speeds, or for me it is.

Never mind if you knew all of this already, but it's good info in general for anyone who stumbles by. And I changed the thread title as the fest is over smile

Thanks for tips, I'm still a noob in there.

Still on controller, and usually I have to set 85% brakes in addition to ABS to prevent locking. I indeed use ABS/TC 3 or 4 as default.

Grats on 20.8, there's no way I can come close for now.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Thanks, not sure where that came from but I'll take it. Pau is a tricky track.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
I found a good way to learn the ‘ring. I simply picked a slow car and drove around like on a relaxing Sunday drive, no ambition of driving fast, and I really enjoyed the time spent learning it.


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
That's nice to hear. It really is rewarding to improve on the Nordschleife. There is always time to find.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Originally Posted by DBond
turned about six laps and posted a 8:16

Maybe that's not so bad? The data is in from the 24 Hours at der Nurburgring and Max Verstappen's fastest lap was 8:12, so not that far off! I bet I could halve that gap at least. Might have to give it a go and see if I am faster than Max haha


https://www.motorsport.com/NLS/news...en-at-the-nurburgring-24-hours/10822585/


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
1.12.9 at Imola ´72 in AMS2 in the Hitech Gen 2.


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
That's rapid, great lap Jens. This track has beautiful flow,. I wonder where the gap is coming from? Are you deploying DRS?

To continue on with the 90's Formula 1 vibe we have going on, I posted laps at Monza and Silverstone, I think both are the 1991 layouts. The final sector at Silverstone is a trip. I think you could get me at these two. I didn't nail these laps.

At Monza it's a different Retifillo, it's two chicanes in succession but the rest is same as present day, although I think Ascari has been reshaped? To go fast I am clipping a lot of kerb through that first complex and a smoother line through here will pick up some time. Ascari is costing me time too.

At Silverstone I was sliding a lot. Even with all the technical voodoo on these cars, those flat Silverstone corners are difficult. I feel a beat late through the esses. There's time left out there, and I found the combination quite challenging.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Thanks Derek. I may have a go at Monza and Silverstone later today. The weather is not too conducive to outdoor activities, and I've caught a cold.

I was surprised to see that these cars supposedly had DRS but since I'd forgotten that they actually had ABS an TC, I thought I'd just forgotten about the DRS. However, according to Wiki, DRS was first introduced in 2011, and should only work when a car is closer than one second behind the car in front so to answer your question, no, I didn't use DRS because when I tried to apply it it didn't do anything, perhaps I was in a non-DRS sector and anyway, I think it ought not to work when I'm alone on the track, besides being historically incorrect. DRS Wiki

No, the gap at present has a more natural explanation: Eye-hand-feet coordination, consistency or lack there of, and reaction time. From studying available ghosts I can see where I'm losing time and I also know that if I could do the perfect lap I'd improve by about half a second. Usually I do one or two sectors good but have messed up or just lost a bit in another sector. I have begun detecting it by the delta lap times on screen, one or two greens against a red sector time.

Last edited by McGonigle; 05/22/26 08:13 AM.

Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,104
Likes: 81
Originally Posted by McGonigle
Usually I do one or two sectors good but have messed up or just lost a bit in another sector.

It's like golf. Any given day only two of the three parts of your game are any good. Hit it well off the tee, good approach play, but can't putt for sh!t. Or you're stroking it nicely on the greens, and your short game is sharp, but you hook it off every tee. Maybe you don't play golf haha

As for DRS, yeah, I don't know how much effect it has, but there are no zones, you can deploy it anywhere, could even run the entire lap with it open. There's not much to this rear wing, so DRS effect should be small, but I expect it's worth a few kmh

Good luck if you tackle my laps, I really think you can clip me at these two


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,267 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1