SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Force10 #4673537 12/13/25 10:08 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
Didn't realize how many old farts on this site. A lot of members joining the " 70's " club like me at 71 years old. Welcome to the club fella's, your just gonna just love it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,039
Likes: 3
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,039
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by BUFF
I am totally out of touch with current "chart" music.


Not a fan of Adele or Ellie Goulding? biggrin
Actually I do like some of their stuff but I wouldn't consider them current chart material, e.g. Rolling in the Deep is 14 years old ...


Originally Posted by Andy Bush
Seasons greetings from this old guy! Still kicking and hope all of you are doing well.
Hi Andy, Season's greetings to you too.
Been a while. I did love your stories of flying the F104, F4 & A10.


"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
D13th_Korn #4673545 12/14/25 04:02 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by D13th_Korn
Times are too easy.


Interesting perspective since it seems most of the people I know tell me the complete opposite.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by D13th_Korn
Times are too easy.


Interesting perspective since it seems most of the people I know tell me the complete opposite.



That's because most everyone today is soft and that makes things seem harder than they really are. Such people would not have made it had they been born in 1920.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
F4UDash4 #4673552 12/14/25 10:38 AM
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by D13th_Korn
Times are too easy.

Interesting perspective since it seems most of the people I know tell me the complete opposite.

That's because most everyone today is soft and that makes things seem harder than they really are. Such people would not have made it had they been born in 1920.

Yup. I've seen the differences over the decades. Government changed things substantially = "Keep um fat, dumb, and happy -- or, angry and afraid and clamoring to be lead to safety." By its own admission (Head of a National News Organization said so publicly), the major TV news outlets went "far left" and began to refuse to tell "all the truths". In the 50s and 60s, the news was reasonably "balanced".

Meanwhile, I assume I'm one of the oldest Geezers here.

When I turned 70 I said and meant "70 is the new 20. I can do anything". I could take a 45lb weight in each hand (90lb total) and roll off 5 or 6 strict curls. I could dance at a National Class Championship level (lead to 185HR, etc). I could swing a golf club over 110mph.

At 78, "they they threw the switch". Its been downhill since -- noticeably over 80 now. A couple weeks ago I carefully lifted a 50lb object off the floor with both arms and tore a minor ankle tendon (turned ankle black and blue) -- an 8 week (or more) heal. I don't dare curl a 30lb weight (damaged a bicep doing that when I was 78 -- it never fully recovered) . 90mph is a good swing. Etc. Since I was 70, 2 of my 4 best High School friends died from Cancer -- the other two have survived Cancer. Etc. Etc.


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
F4UDash4 #4673553 12/14/25 10:41 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,591
Likes: 41
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,591
Likes: 41
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by D13th_Korn
Times are too easy.


Interesting perspective since it seems most of the people I know tell me the complete opposite.



That's because most everyone today is soft and that makes things seem harder than they really are. Such people would not have made it had they been born in 1920.


Absolutely.


My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: https://tinyurl.com/4n82j75z

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
F4UDash4 #4673565 12/14/25 01:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by D13th_Korn
Times are too easy.


Interesting perspective since it seems most of the people I know tell me the complete opposite.



That's because most everyone today is soft and that makes things seem harder than they really are. Such people would not have made it had they been born in 1920.

Good point. Well, if WWIII ever breaks out between Russia and NATO these "good times" will change very fast.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Force10 #4673572 12/14/25 02:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
I turned 66 on Thursday the 11th and I still have a full head of hair with a little grey in the sideburns and I usually have a fully white beard when I grow it but I don't really look my age (mostly), I was sitting with some friends at the Bar and we were talking about remembering things from childhood. I can remember the very first time Christmas showing of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer was broadcast including the Norelco Triple Head Shaver heads being used by the "Elves" to drive through the snow in the sponsored commercials, and I also Remember JFK's Funeral, probably because everyone was so distraught at the time, which would be when I was 3 and I have some memory of certain Toys or things from before that in particular one called an Odd Ogg from about 1962. I consider these as core memories that I can pin a time and place to but find it odd that there are some things that aren't as long ago that I have no recollection of, kind of funny when you think about it.


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Force10 #4673612 12/15/25 05:44 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,824
Likes: 12
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,824
Likes: 12
I am 59, not quite over the hill just yet.

Met a nice lady from my alma mater last month, who graduated in '74 who said I was a baby (me class of '88) still makes me smile.

Time moves on, but I am very grateful I've met the folks that I have and done the things I've done too. But more to do and see.

SimHq is a great community and I enjoy reading, posting and simulation gaming!
Thanks gang!


Intel i7-14700K, 32 GB DDR 5, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, AMD Radeon RX 9070 XT 16 GB
Force10 #4673619 12/15/25 10:36 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
I'm 61, and most of my earliest memories are culturally from the UK 1960s so probably won't mean much to most here. Strange to think that my earliest memories of my mum was when she was in her early 20s, and here I am now older than my dad.


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
DM #4673620 12/15/25 10:57 AM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
Originally Posted by DM
I'm 61, and most of my earliest memories are culturally from the UK 1960s so probably won't mean much to most here. Strange to think that my earliest memories of my mum was when she was in her early 20s, and here I am now older than my dad.



I've thought along those lines a lot. My father was my age (63) in 1987, my grandfather was my age in 1957. His father never made it to 63. The worlds they lived in were almost like different planets from what I've lived in.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
DM #4673624 12/15/25 11:42 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by DM
I'm 61, and most of my earliest memories are culturally from the UK 1960s so probably won't mean much to most here. Strange to think that my earliest memories of my mum was when she was in her early 20s, and here I am now older than my dad.


So I must ask: Stones or Beatles? smile


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Force10 #4673627 12/15/25 12:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
Beatles smile


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Force10 #4673630 12/15/25 12:43 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
Stones by far.

Force10 #4673632 12/15/25 12:53 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Both for me and also Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Animals, The Hollies, The Dave Clark 5, The Zombies, etc.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Force10 #4673640 12/15/25 03:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 953
Likes: 26
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 953
Likes: 26
The Who, and the Beatles. Otis Redding

Last edited by Leaf85; 12/15/25 03:01 PM.

Currently simming;
GHPC, Tank Squad, Panzer Elite, and one train sim: Run 8.
Trying to escape Tarkov, and roaming around in Incursion' Red River.

Also, Strat-O-Matic basketball season replay 2024 NBA season (Go Raptors! table-top version...with real dice) Gimme da rock!

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
Force10 #4673641 12/15/25 03:04 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,591
Likes: 41
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,591
Likes: 41
Beatles, since I was seven (1963).


My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: https://tinyurl.com/4n82j75z

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
Force10 #4673642 12/15/25 03:43 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
PM the groups you listed are exactly the same groups I listened to in my youth although I was never a big fan of the Beatles but loved the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger is quite the singer and entertainer. I still listen to some of their music today. A lot of people today probably never heard of the groups you listed, illustrating how old we really are now.

Last edited by Terl9999; 12/15/25 03:53 PM.
Force10 #4673663 12/15/25 06:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Online: Zombie
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
Quite the responses on this topic!

I can identify with a lot of these...even the more depressing ones.

I did sort off have my midlife crisis phase...where I attempted to race motocross for 6 years...doing my first race at 49 and taking my last gate drop at 55.

I would have to say that a turning point for me was the pandemic...after being an unvaccinated person and going through the hatred and watching our "civilized society" do what they did has left me pretty much dead inside ever since. (no need to expand on that since this isn't in PWEC)

I just don't seem to have the same zest for things anymore.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Force10 #4673665 12/15/25 06:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 104
I remember a guy I use to work with was the same age as me { 71 }. He was a very religious person. He talked with me about getting old and how tough it was. He told me every day you make it through that you are one day closer to God. I never thought of it that way, really made me think.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,470 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1