SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Both for me and also Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Animals, The Hollies, The Dave Clark 5, The Zombies, etc.


Good choices.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Force10 #4673670 12/15/25 06:53 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
72

I am not having any depression or apathy issues. Good marriage, family ties, good friends. I stay active. Always learning new things. Very good hobbies. When I get bored I find a new challenge. Like starting drag racing at 71. The new Jaguar E Type is keeping my interest now. It was sitting for a good while so I’m bringing it out of hibernation. That means fixing things. The wife was with me and on a major road and said “feels like it needs one more gear”. So I’m putting in a Tremec 5 speed. So there is always something for me to do. Flying, shooting, cars, drag racing, car clubs and events, etc.

Rather than depression, I am just sad that this grand adventure will someday end.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Force10 #4673678 12/15/25 08:49 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
Sounds to me like you are winning OG. Everything you say in your post is inspirational. I get the impression from you that staying active and engaged is key. You kind of done it all already, maybe learn how to Ball Room dance with your wife while you still have your mobility, just a maybe stupid suggestion, although she may love that and be impressed with that. There is a poster on this site that is a professional Ball Room dancer, forget his name but there was a post on it here a while ago, probably can do a search for it. The grand adventure here will end someday but the good news is that the ultimate adventure will just begin if you keep the faith.

Force10 #4673698 12/16/25 10:14 AM
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
"Ballroom Dancing is the second most fun thing a man and a woman can do together".

I tell a lot of folks that one. smile But, truthfully, for my wife and I it was the "most fun" thing -- the other was good too. biggrin

Unfortunately,, my wife who has literally been a high end athlete all her life has become too ill to dance anymore -- she virtually can't walk (she's 85 now).


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Force10 #4673700 12/16/25 11:53 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
So the bottom line is that aging may stink but the only other option is much worse!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
So the bottom line is that aging may stink but the only other option is much worse!

Yes.


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Force10 #4673710 12/16/25 03:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
Everyone wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die to get there. 😀

I hope that I am living a sufficiently righteous life. Every day I try to make time to thank the Lord for my many blessings.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Everyone wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die to get there. 😀

.
I think it mostly has to do with the time and manner of death. If everyone died in their sleep at the age of 100 I’m sure the fear of death would be significantly less!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Everyone wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die to get there. 😀

.
I think it mostly has to do with the time and manner of death. If everyone died in their sleep at the age of 100 I’m sure the fear of death would be significantly less!

Yes, I agree. I know with me, I always expected to live beyond 80 years old. So, until I was 80, I just didn't think about death for me or my wife. I was planning on 90 for both of us.

Now, I don't know if I have 2 years left or a decade left -- bothersome at times. My wife probably has less than 2 years. Starting 3 years ago, I was spending most of every day taking care of her. 2 years ago, it became close to a genuine 24 hours (I would get some PC games in -- that was all I had time for). Now, she has daily professional help.

We'll all get there someday. My father died young (62). But, he didn't know it was coming. He was once a Pro Golf Teacher. He went out and played 36holes one weekend. Monday, at lunch, he laid his head on the table. The folks with him thought he was going to sleep. He died of an internal hemorrhage literally caused by too many golf swings. An 80+ year old friend of a Son died on the course. Not really a bad way to go -- having fun golfing -- then suddenly its over -- no time for worries.


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Force10 #4673715 12/16/25 05:46 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158
Likes: 190
When I turned 60 I had the thought "OK, maybe I have 20 more years left"....
Thing is, here I am 3 and a half years later and I keep thinking "OK, maybe I have 20 more years left" biggrin


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Force10 #4673719 12/16/25 06:21 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
I have had Type-1 Diabetes for 21 years, already had a couple of heart attacks. I am shocked I that I have made it to 71. My Dad died at 53 from a stroke on the golf course. He told me several times if he had to go that he wanted to go on the golf course. He got his wish.

Force10 #4673738 12/16/25 11:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 953
Likes: 26
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 953
Likes: 26
I figure everyday on the ride side of the grass is gravy, alllll gravy.


Currently simming;
GHPC, Tank Squad, Panzer Elite, and one train sim: Run 8.
Trying to escape Tarkov, and roaming around in Incursion' Red River.

Also, Strat-O-Matic basketball season replay 2024 NBA season (Go Raptors! table-top version...with real dice) Gimme da rock!

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
Force10 #4673742 12/16/25 11:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
Yes Leaf85 we all want to live. My daughter when she passed from a 3 year battle with cancer her last words before she passed were " I want to live ", will never forget that. Of course we all want to live but it is not the end when we pass, just the eternal beginning of life if you believe. Don't get me wrong I enjoy every second of living.

Force10 #4673748 12/17/25 08:58 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
I decided I couldn't be afraid of death, having lost a few who are ultimately precious to me, it will come, a definite. Whatever happens afterward will eventually be revealed regardless. And if nothing, there will be nothing to worry about it. Only thing that does worry me is the manner of my death.


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
DM #4673767 12/17/25 05:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
Originally Posted by DM
Only thing that does worry me is the manner of my death.

This.

I had already mentioned to my family that if I died on my motorcycle from either racing motocross or riding my street bike...that there are worse ways to go and not to feel too bad about the manner of my death.

Much better than going out like many of my friends and family have recently...laying in a hospital bed in incredible pain when the painkillers stop working and languishing in agony until the inevitable end.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Force10 #4673768 12/17/25 05:45 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
I read today that 1 in 3 Americans will get Cancer. That's an incredible statistic. I am sure Cancer has affected many family's on this site, it has affected my family in the worst way. I myself wouldn't want to go out with Cancer, that's my fear. Not afraid of dying but going out in that manner would be terrible.

Last edited by Terl9999; 12/17/25 05:46 PM.
Terl9999 #4673774 12/17/25 06:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Terl9999
I read today that 1 in 3 Americans will get Cancer. That's an incredible statistic. I am sure Cancer has affected many family's on this site, it has affected my family in the worst way. I myself wouldn't want to go out with Cancer, that's my fear. Not afraid of dying but going out in that manner would be terrible.


Of course that statistic includes older people in their 80’s or older who get the disease. A 7 year old kid with leukemia is a lot more tragic to me than an 85 year old with prostate cancer.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Force10 #4673776 12/17/25 06:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
Totally agree PM, seeing cancer in older people is probably not that uncommon but seeing cancer in young kids is just devastating and heartbreaking. Every time I see one of those ST. Jude commercials with those cancer ridden children, I tear up. I now donate to St. Jude's.

Force10 #4673779 12/17/25 07:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
I donate to them too.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Force10 #4673780 12/17/25 08:12 PM
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 104
Good on you OG, you have a good compassionate heart. I think it is a worthy cause too.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,841 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1