SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 447
Likes: 4
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 447
Likes: 4
The rivers are there (YAY!!!) but alas, the towns are still off. Still, We have rivers!!!

(also, how do I insert a picture directly into a post? I only see to insert an image link...)
Attachments
CFS3 2025-10-03 16-03-21.jpg

Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 46
Likes: 8
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 46
Likes: 8
Well if they managed to get the rivers working with AMD GPUs, then surely they know how to fix the towns too smile

Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,650
Likes: 103
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,650
Likes: 103
Maybe they can, wait for the next update.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
7
Member
Member
7 Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by OvStachel
Thanks on the map...it's a combination of the original rendered map and a map that I submitted. I thought the same when I was working on it...I want to be able to fly VFR and use the towns to track my path..as they originally did. OvS

I have always tried to navigate and used to do so with RAF_Louverts maps. I find navigating to be very difficult now. The new rivers are excellent markers and can be seen from far away, but the cities (which should be visible from many miles away) just don't show up for me. Maybe the city tiles need some kind of darker ground colour so they contrast against the rural landscape (fields)?

I also find the major roads to be hard to see. They seem quite narrow and just get lost in the landscape, at least for my eyes. Maybe that's how it was in real life?

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 349
Likes: 17
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 349
Likes: 17
VFR navigation, especially in populated rural areas, can be challenging. Roads, particularly such roads as would have been there at the time, absolutely blend into the landscape. Often they are hard to see unless you are looking along their length. From the side looking across them, they can practically disappear until you are quite close, hidden behind tree lines or sunken into the terrain. Towns are easier to see, but small ones spread more like villages may not be. Rivers, if there are any nearby, are always the easiest landmarks. They have distinctive twists and turns and features, and are often identifiable at a much greater distance than other landmarks.

Familiarity becomes the best tool you have. Recognizing that particular bend in the road, or the shape of that town with the pair of low hills to the east and knowing your airfield is a couple miles NNW of it. This is why new pilots were usually given flights to orient themselves to the local area, because at first, all the fields and towns and roads look the same.

Also, give yourself some guard rails, backstops, and checkpoints. Features you can identify easily even if you aren't sure where you are. If I see this forest, I've flown past my waypoint, or, my course needs to remain North of that river. If find myself near it I know I'm off course to the south, etc. This can help box in the possibilities of where you might be, and make you not quite as lost.

And disorientation happens. The British captured their first Fw 190 in WWII because a pilot convinced himself that the Bristol Chanel was the English Chanel and North was South and South was North - in broad daylight! So if you find yourself lost, you're in company with no small number of historical pilots.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 447
Likes: 4
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 447
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by 77_Scout
Maybe the city tiles need some kind of darker ground colour so they contrast against the rural landscape (fields)?

actually, that's the problem we have with AMD stuff; in the pic I attached above, you'll notice the tiles around the town (Albert) on the left are indeed darker.
If that can ever be fixed, I don't know, and actually am not bothered by it; not only are the river textures blended, but the whole realistic curving not only looks so much better than the old, but I got to Albert in the flight by noting a bend in the river that corresponded to the new map, and bingo.

In fact, the whole look to this sim is so beautiful, that it's easy to forget how old it originally is. Congrats and thanks to all.

Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 46
Likes: 8
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 46
Likes: 8
Just a quick question regarding the installation.
Say I want to do a complete reinstall to get up to the newest version.
Do I install BHH patch it to its latest version and then install OTT, patch it and install TLH?
Or can I just install BHH 1.0, then OTT and then TLH?

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
BH&HII 1.0
OTT 1.0
TLH 1.0
Patch TLH latest.


Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Originally Posted by Tonci87
Well if they managed to get the rivers working with AMD GPUs, then surely they know how to fix the towns too smile
Nope. The rivers are "real" part of the scenery as it were. That's why they work nothing to do with AMD or not. Before we made them with scenery tiles. AMD changed their drivers a long time back that broke something in the laying and blending of the different layers of tiles.
Anyway other threads are better for this stuff.

Last edited by Polovski; 10/04/25 08:26 PM.

Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,298 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1